* Re: Interested in kernel development
       [not found] <CAAaJFEj4=G1fo1CkLGmXgjha3ERMOLisnx97byymAtJ9KJJzDg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-07-22  0:20 ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2021-07-22  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Athul Joy, Kernel Newbies

Hi Athul,
I think people find learning kernel development difficult due to the
following reasons,
I) Lack of understanding about the underlying hardware.
II) In the Linux kernel, some features are used which is specific to
the GCC toolchain.
III) There is also a good amount of assembly is being used which in
turn also needs the underlying hardware knowledge.
III) Last but not less important, An operating system does all its
tasks by itself. It runs in a freestanding environment. So we need the
patience to learn every aspect of an operating system.

My next article which completes the minimal C program is coming soon.
Please, stay tuned.

Regards,
Amit Kumar
https://twitter.com/freeark1

@ 2021-07-22  3:37   ` Constantine Shulyupin
From: Constantine Shulyupin @ 2021-07-22  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kumar, kernelnewbies; +Cc: Athul Joy

Hi,

Welcome to learn and explore Linux with wikibook
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Linux_Kernel .

Dear Kernelnewbies maintanter, would you like to add the link to
https://kernelnewbies.org/Documents ?

Regards,
Costa

On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 at 03:21, Amit Kumar <free.amit.kumar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Athul,
> I think people find learning kernel development difficult due to the
> following reasons,
> I) Lack of understanding about the underlying hardware.
> II) In the Linux kernel, some features are used which is specific to
> the GCC toolchain.
> III) There is also a good amount of assembly is being used which in
> turn also needs the underlying hardware knowledge.
> III) Last but not less important, An operating system does all its
> tasks by itself. It runs in a freestanding environment. So we need the
> patience to learn every aspect of an operating system.
>
> My next article which completes the minimal C program is coming soon.
> Please, stay tuned.
>
> Regards,
> Amit Kumar
> https://twitter.com/freeark1
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 10:27 PM Athul Joy <a.athuljoy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Amit,
> > I am Athul Joy. I am a software developer. I have seen your mail on the Kernelnewbies mailing list. I have similar interests as you about learning more about the Linux kernel. I have tried to put some effort to learn more about the Linux kernel but didn't go well. I would like to follow along with you. I hope you could help me.
> > Sincerely,
> > Athul Joy

Constantine Shulyupin