From: Mauro Rossi <issor.oruam@gmail.com>
To: Alistair Strachan <astrachan@google.com>
Cc: Robert Foss <robert.foss@collabora.com>,
	alexandru-cosmin.gheorghe@arm.com, liviu.dudau@arm.com,
	dri-devel@lists.freedesktop.org,
	Stefan Schake <stschake@gmail.com>,
	isimha@nvidia.com, marcheu@chromium.org, rhyskidd@gmail.com,
	puneetster@google.com, Greg Hartman <ghartman@google.com>,
	cwhuang@linux.org.tw, kalyan.kondapally@intel.com,
	Thierry Reding <treding@nvidia.com>,
	danalbert@google.com, nartal@nvidia.com,
	Dmitry Shmidt <dimitrysh@google.com>,
	Adrian Salido <salidoa@google.com>,
	tfiga@google.com, amartin@nvidia.com, seasonl@nvidia.com,
	zachr@chromium.org, matt.szczesiak@arm.com,
	David Hanna <david.hanna11@gmail.com>,
	Marissa Wall <marissaw@google.com>,
	davidu@nvidia.com
Subject: Re: [drm_hwc] PSA: drm_hwc submissions via gitlab
Date: Fri, 04 May 2018 19:16:09 +0000	[thread overview]

Il 04 mag 2018 19:51, "Alistair Strachan" <astrachan@google.com> ha scritto:

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 10:35 AM Sean Paul <seanpaul@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 04, 2018 at 05:19:50PM +0000, Mauro Rossi wrote:

[snip]

> > Another question is for Intel and Chromeos developers: are you planning
>
> update your minigbm projects to the new common gralloc_handle.h handle
> > structure in latest libdrm?
> >

> I assume yes, but I'm not hooked in to what's happening with minigbm.

+1. We can take this to another thread. The main issue is that minigbm
assumes a 1:1 planes to handles paradigm, the new generic handle does not.

Thanks for the info

This allows testing an hwcomposer.minigbm (by just changing some makefile
rules and build as separate project) separately from hwcomposer.drm
In order to select hwcomposer.drm+gralloc.gbm vs
hwcomposer.minigbm+gralloc.minigbm I use init.sh and a boot cmdline
parameter.

When testing drm_hwcomposer+ (chromeos minigbm or intel minigbm) two week
ago I was getting SIGABRT no suitable EGL config.

I will repeat tests with cros/gralloc_drm_handle.h handle now supported via
platformminigbm on amdgpu (requires patch on minigbm), i965 and nouveau.

Mauro

Mauro

> I'm asking because freedesktop drm_hwcomposer (hwctwo) moved to new libdrm
> > gralloc_handle.h handle
> > and it would make sense for minigbm to evolve accordingly,
> >
> > and I'd like to try them in oreo-x86 as a like-for-like replacement
> option
> > for gbm_gralloc
>
> Did you see the latest patches from Alistair Strachan to add minigbm as a
> supported platform? That might do what you want.

Thanks, they will suffice for now,  however minigbm was now put in
diverging track from common libdrm gralloc handle.

If we move to the common handle, my changes can be dropped. That's the
goal, it's just not possible right now.

Were those the only specificity introduced in hwc?

Is there documentation on the differences in composition of planes among
driver platforms?

Why is amdgpu the only platform (among the ones supporting atomic) for
which drm mode setting is not working with hwc, is there some difference in
amdgpu drm implementation? [Just a hint, I'll open bug on gitlab]

I'll keep an eye on AOSP minigbm, cros minigbm and intel minigbm to see
if/when they'll be updated to use new gralloc handle.

Mauro