My group has run into a bug with "git-subtree split". Under some circumstances a split created from a descendant of another earlier split is not a descendant of that earlier split (thus blocking pushes). We originally noticed this on v1.9.1 but have also checked it on v2.6.3 When scanning the commits to produce the subtree it seems to skip creating a new commit if any of the parent commits have the same tree and instead uses that tree in its place. This is fine when the cause is a branch that did not cause any changes to the subtree. However it creates an issue when the cause is both branches ending up with the same tree through identical alterations (or more likely, one of the branches has just a subset of the alterations on the other, such as a branch just containing cherry-picks). The attached patch (against v2.6.3) includes a test that reproduces the problem. The created 'master' branch has had the latest commits on the 'branch' branch merged into it, so it follows that a subtree on 'folder/' at 'master' (subtree_tip) should contain all the commits of a subtree on 'folder/' at 'branch' (subtree_branch). Hence it should be possible to push subtree_tip to subtree_branch. The attached patch also fixes the issue for the cases we've encountered, however since we're not particularly familiar with git internals we may not have approached this optimally. We suspect it could be improved to also handle the cases where there are more than 2 parents. Cheers, Dave Ware