From: Matt Turner <mattst88@gmail.com>
To: Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch>
Cc: igt-dev@lists.freedesktop.org, xorg@lists.x.org
Subject: Re: [igt-dev] [ANNOUNCE] intel-gpu-tools 1.22
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 10:23:03 -0700	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 8:51 AM Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 02:54:52PM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 6:28 AM, Petri Latvala <petri.latvala@intel.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > A new intel-gpu-tools quarterly release is available with the
> > > following changes:
> > >

> > Since the Meson build system has no configuration options it's not yet
> > a replacement distros can use. Please ship the 1.23 tarball with the
> > autotools files generated by make dist.
>
> Meson upstream seems to think that autoconfiguring with defaults Is Better
> (tm). What would distro's want from the meson build (since I think it's
> useful to cut down a bit from the all the options, mostly they didn't
> really work after a short while anyway)?

That works fine for developers building it out of their ~/projects
directory, but not so well for distros. Source distros in particular
don't work well with so-called "automagic" dependencies, i.e., those
that are enabled if detected by the configure script without the
ability to explicitly disable them.

Gentoo's dependency tracking works by saying "Depend on package XYZ
iff support for XYZ is requested". Automagic deps break this by
assumption by linking with XYZ if it happens to be installed even if
support isn't requested.

If we just want to make everything required, then... I guess that will
work. But because autotools already has configuration support, the
source code is already ready. FWIW, this came to my attention recently
because I worked with the Chrome team at Intel to add v1.22 to Gentoo.
I suggested switching to Meson and then realized it wasn't
configurable at all.