* TDMA with RTnet on Xenomai
@ 2019-07-22 15:58 danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-07-22 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi,

I have Xenomai 2 with RTnet on a BeagleBone Black. I ask myself how  I
can run TDMA on BeagleBone Black? Programs like RTping and Roundtrip
program are working.

I have changed the rtnet.conf file so that it will use TDMA.conf file.
In TDMA.conf all parameters like IP-address, clock cycle and slottime
are determined.
In rtnet file I saw some drivers like rtmac. Do I have to load that
driver for using TDMA as it is not loaded yet? Are there any other
drivers beside rtudp, rtipv4, rtpacket, rt_ticpsw, rt_davinci_mdio,
rt_smsc, rtnet and omap_rng which need to be loaded?

And now I ask myself how can I run TDMA? Is it just using the IPs
(which are written in your TDMA.conf file) for your microcomputer, and
that's it?
If TDMA will work, do I see any output of my communication cycle or
anything that shows that TDMA is running? At the moment I don't see anything.
What else do I have to change in rtnet.conf? I have just changed the
very last line for using TDMA.conf file and I have changed TDMA_MODE
to master for my master BBB and to slave for my slave BBB.

So just the short question: What to do to use TDMA?

Kind Regards

Daniel

* Re: TDMA with RTnet on Xenomai
@ 2019-07-23 10:14 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-07-23 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 22.07.19 17:58, danwe via Xenomai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Xenomai 2 with RTnet on a BeagleBone Black. I ask myself how  I

I cannot tell you in advance if my answers applied to version 2 as well,
probably, but no one is working on that anymore.

> can run TDMA on BeagleBone Black? Programs like RTping and Roundtrip
> program are working.
>
> I have changed the rtnet.conf file so that it will use TDMA.conf file.
> In TDMA.conf all parameters like IP-address, clock cycle and slottime
> are determined.
> In rtnet file I saw some drivers like rtmac. Do I have to load that
> driver for using TDMA as it is not loaded yet? Are there any other
> drivers beside rtudp, rtipv4, rtpacket, rt_ticpsw, rt_davinci_mdio,
> rt_smsc, rtnet and omap_rng which need to be loaded?

The RTnet startup scripts should load all necessary stack components for you.
rtmac.ko belongs to them, tdma.ko will not load without it. In addition, the
scripts will load rtcfg in order to distribute the IP and TDMA configuration
from the master to the slaves.

> And now I ask myself how can I run TDMA? Is it just using the IPs
> (which are written in your TDMA.conf file) for your microcomputer, and
> that's it?

Try the rtnet start scripts. They set up a TDMA network according to the conf
file. One node should be configured to be master, another as slave.

> If TDMA will work, do I see any output of my communication cycle or
> anything that shows that TDMA is running? At the moment I don't see anything.

A basic test is rtping: If you can ping the other RTnet station, connections
works. If you see a suspicious jitter of the ping delay that is between one and
two times the TMDA cycle time, also that works.

> What else do I have to change in rtnet.conf? I have just changed the
> very last line for using TDMA.conf file and I have changed TDMA_MODE
> to master for my master BBB and to slave for my slave BBB.
>
> So just the short question: What to do to use TDMA?

rtnet.conf is documented. If anything concrete remains unclear from reading
that, please let us know. Also study the help of the rtnet start script.

Did you check that raw (RTmac-free) RTnet works fine (rtping)?

Jan

* Re: TDMA with RTnet on Xenomai
@ 2019-07-23 14:28   ` danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-07-23 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai

> On 22.07.19 17:58, danwe via Xenomai wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have Xenomai 2 with RTnet on a BeagleBone Black. I ask myself how  I
>
> I cannot tell you in advance if my answers applied to version 2 as well,
> probably, but no one is working on that anymore.
>
> > can run TDMA on BeagleBone Black? Programs like RTping and Roundtrip
> > program are working.
> >
> > I have changed the rtnet.conf file so that it will use TDMA.conf file.
> > In TDMA.conf all parameters like IP-address, clock cycle and slottime
> > are determined.
> > In rtnet file I saw some drivers like rtmac. Do I have to load that
> > driver for using TDMA as it is not loaded yet? Are there any other
> > drivers beside rtudp, rtipv4, rtpacket, rt_ticpsw, rt_davinci_mdio,
> > rt_smsc, rtnet and omap_rng which need to be loaded?
>
> The RTnet startup scripts should load all necessary stack components for
> you.
> rtmac.ko belongs to them, tdma.ko will not load without it. In addition,
> the
> scripts will load rtcfg in order to distribute the IP and TDMA
> configuration
> from the master to the slaves.

I do not have tdma.ko nor rtcfg.ko. Is it possible to copy/paste them to my
sd-card where Xenomai / RTnet is running and load them in the RTnet startup
scripts? Or do they need to be installed during building the kernel and
Xenomai / RTnet on top? Do you have those files you can give me?

> > And now I ask myself how can I run TDMA? Is it just using the IPs
> > (which are written in your TDMA.conf file) for your microcomputer, and
> > that's it?
>
> Try the rtnet start scripts. They set up a TDMA network according to the
> conf
> file. One node should be configured to be master, another as slave.
>
> > If TDMA will work, do I see any output of my communication cycle or
> > anything that shows that TDMA is running? At the moment I don't see
> anything.
>
> A basic test is rtping: If you can ping the other RTnet station,
> connections
> works. If you see a suspicious jitter of the ping delay that is between
> one and
> two times the TMDA cycle time, also that works.
>
> > What else do I have to change in rtnet.conf? I have just changed the
> > very last line for using TDMA.conf file and I have changed TDMA_MODE
> > to master for my master BBB and to slave for my slave BBB.
> >
> > So just the short question: What to do to use TDMA?
> >

> rtnet.conf is documented. If anything concrete remains unclear from reading
> that, please let us know. Also study the help of the rtnet start script.
>
> Did you check that raw (RTmac-free) RTnet works fine (rtping)?

When I'd like to use "rtping" I need to tell the microcomputers to which
MAC the IP-address of the other microcomputer belongs to.
So I use the command: #  rtroute add IP_other_µC MAC_other_µC dev rteth0
Doing this on both µC then I can use "rtping" with: # rtping
IP_address_other_µC.
Then rtping works fine. That should be fine, shouldn't it?

* Re: TDMA with RTnet on Xenomai
@ 2019-07-23 14:58     ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-07-23 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 23.07.19 16:28, danwe wrote:
>     On 22.07.19 17:58, danwe via Xenomai wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > I have Xenomai 2 with RTnet on a BeagleBone Black. I ask myself how  I
>
>     I cannot tell you in advance if my answers applied to version 2 as well,
>     probably, but no one is working on that anymore.
>
>     > can run TDMA on BeagleBone Black? Programs like RTping and Roundtrip
>     > program are working.
>     >
>     > I have changed the rtnet.conf file so that it will use TDMA.conf file.
>     > In TDMA.conf all parameters like IP-address, clock cycle and slottime
>     > are determined.
>     > In rtnet file I saw some drivers like rtmac. Do I have to load that
>     > driver for using TDMA as it is not loaded yet? Are there any other
>     > drivers beside rtudp, rtipv4, rtpacket, rt_ticpsw, rt_davinci_mdio,
>     > rt_smsc, rtnet and omap_rng which need to be loaded?
>
>     The RTnet startup scripts should load all necessary stack components for you.
>     rtmac.ko belongs to them, tdma.ko will not load without it. In addition, the
>     scripts will load rtcfg in order to distribute the IP and TDMA configuration
>     from the master to the slaves.
>

> I do not have tdma.ko nor rtcfg.ko. Is it possible to copy/paste them to my
> sd-card where Xenomai / RTnet is running and load them in the RTnet startup
> scripts? Or do they need to be installed during building the kernel and Xenomai
> / RTnet on top? Do you have those files you can give me?

If you enable the related kernel features, they are generated as part of the
normal kernel build. Watch out for CONFIG_XENO_DRIVERS_NET_RTMAC/TDMA/RTCFG.

>     >
>     > And now I ask myself how can I run TDMA? Is it just using the IPs
>     > (which are written in your TDMA.conf file) for your microcomputer, and
>     > that's it?
>
>     Try the rtnet start scripts. They set up a TDMA network according to the conf
>     file. One node should be configured to be master, another as slave.
>
>     > If TDMA will work, do I see any output of my communication cycle or
>     > anything that shows that TDMA is running? At the moment I don't see anything.
>
>     A basic test is rtping: If you can ping the other RTnet station, connections
>     works. If you see a suspicious jitter of the ping delay that is between one and
>     two times the TMDA cycle time, also that works.
>
>     > What else do I have to change in rtnet.conf? I have just changed the
>     > very last line for using TDMA.conf file and I have changed TDMA_MODE
>     > to master for my master BBB and to slave for my slave BBB.
>     >
>     > So just the short question: What to do to use TDMA?
>     >

>     rtnet.conf is documented. If anything concrete remains unclear from reading
>     that, please let us know. Also study the help of the rtnet start script.
>
>     Did you check that raw (RTmac-free) RTnet works fine (rtping)?
>

> When I'd like to use "rtping" I need to tell the microcomputers to which MAC the
> IP-address of the other microcomputer belongs to.
> So I use the command: #  rtroute add IP_other_µC MAC_other_µC dev rteth0
> Doing this on both µC then I can use "rtping" with: # rtping IP_address_other_µC.
> Then rtping works fine. That should be fine, shouldn't it?

This sounds good, indeed. If the pings also run for some dozens of packets, it's
perfect because that test reveals there are package leaks / unacknowledged
outgoing packets that would otherwise empty the buffer pool quickly.

Jan

* Re: TDMA with RTnet on Xenomai
@ 2019-07-23 15:32       ` danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-07-23 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai

Am Di., 23. Juli 2019 um 16:58 Uhr schrieb Jan Kiszka <
jan.kiszka@siemens.com>:

> On 23.07.19 16:28, danwe wrote:
> >     On 22.07.19 17:58, danwe via Xenomai wrote:
> >     > Hi,
> >     >
> >     > I have Xenomai 2 with RTnet on a BeagleBone Black. I ask myself
> how  I
> >
> >     I cannot tell you in advance if my answers applied to version 2 as
> well,
> >     probably, but no one is working on that anymore.
> >
> >     > can run TDMA on BeagleBone Black? Programs like RTping and
> Roundtrip
> >     > program are working.
> >     >
> >     > I have changed the rtnet.conf file so that it will use TDMA.conf
> file.
> >     > In TDMA.conf all parameters like IP-address, clock cycle and
> slottime
> >     > are determined.
> >     > In rtnet file I saw some drivers like rtmac. Do I have to load that
> >     > driver for using TDMA as it is not loaded yet? Are there any other
> >     > drivers beside rtudp, rtipv4, rtpacket, rt_ticpsw, rt_davinci_mdio,
> >     > rt_smsc, rtnet and omap_rng which need to be loaded?
> >
> >     The RTnet startup scripts should load all necessary stack components
> for you.
> >     rtmac.ko belongs to them, tdma.ko will not load without it. In
> addition, the
> >     scripts will load rtcfg in order to distribute the IP and TDMA
> configuration
> >     from the master to the slaves.
> >

> > I do not have tdma.ko nor rtcfg.ko. Is it possible to copy/paste them to
> my
> > sd-card where Xenomai / RTnet is running and load them in the RTnet
> startup
> > scripts? Or do they need to be installed during building the kernel and
> Xenomai
> > / RTnet on top? Do you have those files you can give me?
> >

> If you enable the related kernel features, they are generated as part of
> the
> normal kernel build. Watch out for
> CONFIG_XENO_DRIVERS_NET_RTMAC/TDMA/RTCFG.
>
> Do you mean in my buildroot folder where I can use the command "make
menuconfig" and select different kernel build things?
I have watched out for this but did not find anything. TDMA and rtcfg
folder in my compiled buildroot folder existing though. But I don't see any
tdma.ko or rtcfg.ko files.

> >     >
> >     > And now I ask myself how can I run TDMA? Is it just using the IPs
> >     > (which are written in your TDMA.conf file) for your microcomputer,
> and
> >     > that's it?
> >
> >     Try the rtnet start scripts. They set up a TDMA network according to
> the conf
> >     file. One node should be configured to be master, another as slave.
> >
> >     > If TDMA will work, do I see any output of my communication cycle or
> >     > anything that shows that TDMA is running? At the moment I don't
> see anything.
> >
> >     A basic test is rtping: If you can ping the other RTnet station,
> connections
> >     works. If you see a suspicious jitter of the ping delay that is
> between one and
> >     two times the TMDA cycle time, also that works.
> >
> >     > What else do I have to change in rtnet.conf? I have just changed
> the
> >     > very last line for using TDMA.conf file and I have changed
> TDMA_MODE
> >     > to master for my master BBB and to slave for my slave BBB.
> >     >
> >     > So just the short question: What to do to use TDMA?
> >     >

> >     rtnet.conf is documented. If anything concrete remains unclear from
> reading
> >     that, please let us know. Also study the help of the rtnet start
> script.
> >
> >     Did you check that raw (RTmac-free) RTnet works fine (rtping)?
> >

> > When I'd like to use "rtping" I need to tell the microcomputers to which
> MAC the
> > IP-address of the other microcomputer belongs to.
> > So I use the command: #  rtroute add IP_other_µC MAC_other_µC dev rteth0
> > Doing this on both µC then I can use "rtping" with: # rtping
> IP_address_other_µC.
> > Then rtping works fine. That should be fine, shouldn't it?
> >

> This sounds good, indeed. If the pings also run for some dozens of
> packets, it's
> perfect because that test reveals there are package leaks / unacknowledged
> outgoing packets that would otherwise empty the buffer pool quickly.

Yes rtpings don't stop. But this is just because the buffer works, isn't
it? It has nothing to do with TDMA, right?

@ 2019-07-23 15:38         ` Jan Kiszka
       [not found]           ` <CAEmXcAzd3P9DkRHVbtvzgB_J52gUtaVd19h8=r-VL4frp0Gm3Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-07-23 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 23.07.19 17:32, danwe wrote:

> Am Di., 23. Juli 2019 um 16:58 Uhr schrieb Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com
> <mailto:jan.kiszka@siemens.com>>:
>
>     On 23.07.19 16:28, danwe wrote:
>     >     On 22.07.19 17:58, danwe via Xenomai wrote:
>     >     > Hi,
>     >     >
>     >     > I have Xenomai 2 with RTnet on a BeagleBone Black. I ask myself how  I
>     >
>     >     I cannot tell you in advance if my answers applied to version 2 as well,
>     >     probably, but no one is working on that anymore.
>     >
>     >     > can run TDMA on BeagleBone Black? Programs like RTping and Roundtrip
>     >     > program are working.
>     >     >
>     >     > I have changed the rtnet.conf file so that it will use TDMA.conf file.
>     >     > In TDMA.conf all parameters like IP-address, clock cycle and slottime
>     >     > are determined.
>     >     > In rtnet file I saw some drivers like rtmac. Do I have to load that
>     >     > driver for using TDMA as it is not loaded yet? Are there any other
>     >     > drivers beside rtudp, rtipv4, rtpacket, rt_ticpsw, rt_davinci_mdio,
>     >     > rt_smsc, rtnet and omap_rng which need to be loaded?
>     >
>     >     The RTnet startup scripts should load all necessary stack components
>     for you.
>     >     rtmac.ko belongs to them, tdma.ko will not load without it. In
>     addition, the
>     >     scripts will load rtcfg in order to distribute the IP and TDMA
>     configuration
>     >     from the master to the slaves.
>     >
>     >
>     > I do not have tdma.ko nor rtcfg.ko. Is it possible to copy/paste them to my
>     > sd-card where Xenomai / RTnet is running and load them in the RTnet startup
>     > scripts? Or do they need to be installed during building the kernel and
>     Xenomai
>     > / RTnet on top? Do you have those files you can give me?
>     >

>     If you enable the related kernel features, they are generated as part of the
>     normal kernel build. Watch out for CONFIG_XENO_DRIVERS_NET_RTMAC/TDMA/RTCFG.
>
> Do you mean in my buildroot folder where I can use the command "make menuconfig"
> and select different kernel build things?
> I have watched out for this but did not find anything. TDMA and rtcfg folder in
> my compiled buildroot folder existing though. But I don't see any tdma.ko or
> rtcfg.ko files.

Then you need to adjust your kernel config. make menuconfig if interactively,
but I don't know where that result is reused for the next buildroot run.

>     >
>     >     >
>     >     > And now I ask myself how can I run TDMA? Is it just using the IPs
>     >     > (which are written in your TDMA.conf file) for your microcomputer, and
>     >     > that's it?
>     >
>     >     Try the rtnet start scripts. They set up a TDMA network according to
>     the conf
>     >     file. One node should be configured to be master, another as slave.
>     >
>     >     > If TDMA will work, do I see any output of my communication cycle or
>     >     > anything that shows that TDMA is running? At the moment I don't see
>     anything.
>     >
>     >     A basic test is rtping: If you can ping the other RTnet station,
>     connections
>     >     works. If you see a suspicious jitter of the ping delay that is
>     between one and
>     >     two times the TMDA cycle time, also that works.
>     >
>     >     > What else do I have to change in rtnet.conf? I have just changed the
>     >     > very last line for using TDMA.conf file and I have changed TDMA_MODE
>     >     > to master for my master BBB and to slave for my slave BBB.
>     >     >
>     >     > So just the short question: What to do to use TDMA?
>     >     >
>     >
>     >     rtnet.conf is documented. If anything concrete remains unclear from
>     reading
>     >     that, please let us know. Also study the help of the rtnet start script.
>     >
>     >     Did you check that raw (RTmac-free) RTnet works fine (rtping)?
>     >
>     >
>     > When I'd like to use "rtping" I need to tell the microcomputers to which
>     MAC the
>     > IP-address of the other microcomputer belongs to.
>     > So I use the command: #  rtroute add IP_other_µC MAC_other_µC dev rteth0
>     > Doing this on both µC then I can use "rtping" with: # rtping
>     IP_address_other_µC.
>     > Then rtping works fine. That should be fine, shouldn't it?
>     >

>     This sounds good, indeed. If the pings also run for some dozens of packets, it's
>     perfect because that test reveals there are package leaks / unacknowledged
>     outgoing packets that would otherwise empty the buffer pool quickly.
>

> Yes rtpings don't stop. But this is just because the buffer works, isn't it? It
> has nothing to do with TDMA, right?

Yes. This is a good sign for the tricky low-level driver part, but you still
need to enable TDMA in the kernel to get that working as well.

Jan

@ 2019-07-23 16:09             ` danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-07-23 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

@ 2019-07-23 17:13               ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-07-23 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 23.07.19 18:09, danwe via Xenomai wrote:
> Am Di., 23. Juli 2019 um 18:08 Uhr schrieb danwe <
> daniel.wenninger92@gmail.com>:
>

>> Am Di., 23. Juli 2019 um 17:38 Uhr schrieb Jan Kiszka <
>> jan.kiszka@siemens.com>:

>>> jan.kiszka@siemens.com

>>> myself how  I
>>> 2 as well,
>>> Roundtrip
>>> TDMA.conf file.
>>> and slottime
>>> load that
>>> any other
>>> rt_davinci_mdio,
>>> components
>>> them to my
>>> RTnet startup
>>> kernel and

>>> part of the
>>> CONFIG_XENO_DRIVERS_NET_RTMAC/TDMA/RTCFG.

>>> menuconfig"
>>> folder in
>>> tdma.ko or
>>>
>>> Then you need to adjust your kernel config. make menuconfig if
>>> interactively,
>>> but I don't know where that result is reused for the next buildroot run.
>>>

>> I have searched for the TDMA and rtcfg folder and run the makefile with
>> make command. It compiled and generated my tdma.ko and rtcfg.ko. Now I have
>> just to copy it on sd-card and run it with my rtnet scripts right? Do they
>> need in specific folders on my sd-card?

These are just more kernel modules, like those for RTnet (rtnet.ko, <driver>.ko)
that likely already exist - unless those are built-in.

Jan

* Re: TDMA with RTnet on Xenomai
@ 2019-07-24  8:15                 ` danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-07-24  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai

Today I have tried TDMA on rtnet with all the necessary modules/drivers.
Unfortunately I do not see any different output on rtping. It is the same
as before.
This is the output:

# rtping 192.168.127.11
Real-time PING 192.168.127.11 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.127.11: icmp_seq=1 time=226.7 us
64 bytes from 192.168.127.11: icmp_seq=2 time=142.2 us
64 bytes from 192.168.127.11: icmp_seq=3 time=151.1 us
64 bytes from 192.168.127.11: icmp_seq=4 time=128.8 us
64 bytes from 192.168.127.11: icmp_seq=5 time=135.1 us
64 bytes from 192.168.127.11: icmp_seq=6 time=122.9 us

--- 192.168.127.11 rtping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss
worst case rtt = 226.7 us

And this are the modules which are loaded:

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: G
tdma                   18805  0
rtcfg                  45592  0
rtmac                   7219  1 tdma
rtudp                   7640  0
rtipv4                 18699  2 rtcfg,rtudp
rtpacket                4179  0
rt_ticpsw              26115  0
rt_davinci_mdio         4570  0
rt_smsc                 2165  0
rtnet                  28479  7
tdma,rtcfg,rtmac,rtudp,rtipv4,rtpacket,rt_ticpsw
omap_rng                4174  0

I would like to ask you if you could take a look at my settings for the
master in rtnet.conf and tdma.conf if everything is correct? For slave I
have just change "master" to "slave". Should I start realtime loopback
device and capturing interface? I do not have started the driver for
realtime loopback device. Is that a problem?

# This file is usually located in <PREFIX>/etc/rtnet.conf

# Please adapt it to your system.

# This configuration file is used with the rtnet script.

# RTnet installation path

prefix="/usr"

exec_prefix="/usr"

RTNET_MOD="/lib/modules/3.8.13-xeno/kernel"

RTIFCONFIG="${exec_prefix}/sbin/rtifconfig"

RTCFG="${exec_prefix}/sbin/rtcfg"

TDMACFG="${exec_prefix}/sbin/tdmacfg"

# Module suffix: ".o" for 2.4 kernels, ".ko" for later versions

MODULE_EXT=".ko"

# RT-NIC driver

RT_DRIVER="rt_eepro100"

RT_DRIVER_OPTIONS=""

# PCI addresses of RT-NICs to claim (format: 0000:00:00.0)

#   If both Linux and RTnet drivers for the same hardware are loaded, this

#   list instructs the start script to rebind the given PCI devices,
detaching

#   from their Linux driver, attaching it to the RT driver above. Example:

#   REBIND_RT_NICS="0000:00:19.0 0000:01:1d.1"

REBIND_RT_NICS=""

# IP address and netmask of this station

#   The TDMA_CONFIG file overrides these parameters for masters and backup

#   masters. Leave blank if you do not use IP addresses or if this station
is

#   intended to retrieve its IP from the master based on its MAC address.

IPADDR="192.168.127.10"

NETMASK=""

# Start realtime loopback device ("yes" or "no")

RT_LOOPBACK="yes"

# Use the following RTnet protocol drivers

RT_PROTOCOLS="udp packet"

# Start capturing interface ("yes" or "no")

RTCAP="no"

# Common RTcfg stage 2 config data (master mode only)

#   The TDMA_CONFIG file overrides this parameter.

STAGE_2_SRC=""

# Stage 2 config data destination file (slave mode only)

STAGE_2_DST=""

# Command to be executed after stage 2 phase (slave mode only)

STAGE_2_CMDS=""

# TDMA mode of the station ("master" or "slave")

#   Start backup masters in slave mode, it will then be switched to master

#   mode automatically during startup.

TDMA_MODE="master"

# Master parameters

# Simple setup: List of TDMA slaves

#TDMA_SLAVES="10.0.0.2 10.0.0.3 10.0.0.4"

# Simple setup: Cycle time in microsecond

#TDMA_CYCLE="5000"

# Simple setup: Offset in microsecond between TDMA slots

#TDMA_OFFSET="200"

# Advanced setup: Config file containing all TDMA station parameters

#   To use this mode, uncomment the following line and disable the

#   three master parameters above (SLAVES, CYCLE, and OFFSET).

TDMA_CONFIG="/etc/tdma.conf"

And here is the tdma.conf: I am only using master with IP 192.168.127.10
and slave with IP 192.168.127.11.

#

# Examplary TDMA configuration file

#

# Primary master

master:

ip 192.168.127.10

cycle 5000

slot 0 0

slot 1 1000

# Backup master

#  Cycle is defined by the primary master

backup-master:

ip 192.168.127.12

backup-offset 200

slot 0 400

# Slave A

#  MAC is unknown, slave will be pre-configured to the given IP

slave:

ip 192.168.127.11

slot 0 2000

slot 1 2200 1/2

# Slave B

#  IP is assigned to the slave via its known MAC address

slave:

ip 192.168.127.13

mac 00:12:34:56:AA:FF

slot 0 2400

slot 1 2200 2/2

@ 2019-07-24  8:30                   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-07-24  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 24.07.19 10:15, danwe wrote:
> Today I have tried TDMA on rtnet with all the necessary modules/drivers.
> Unfortunately I do not see any different output on rtping. It is the same as before.
> This is the output:
>
> # rtping 192.168.127.11
> Real-time PING 192.168.127.11 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from 192.168.127.11 <http://192.168.127.11>: icmp_seq=1 time=226.7 us
> 64 bytes from 192.168.127.11 <http://192.168.127.11>: icmp_seq=2 time=142.2 us
> 64 bytes from 192.168.127.11 <http://192.168.127.11>: icmp_seq=3 time=151.1 us
> 64 bytes from 192.168.127.11 <http://192.168.127.11>: icmp_seq=4 time=128.8 us
> 64 bytes from 192.168.127.11 <http://192.168.127.11>: icmp_seq=5 time=135.1 us
> 64 bytes from 192.168.127.11 <http://192.168.127.11>: icmp_seq=6 time=122.9 us
>
> --- 192.168.127.11 rtping statistics ---
> 6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss
> worst case rtt = 226.7 us
>
> And this are the modules which are loaded:
>
> # lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: G
> tdma                   18805  0
> rtcfg                  45592  0
> rtmac                   7219  1 tdma
> rtudp                   7640  0
> rtipv4                 18699  2 rtcfg,rtudp
> rtpacket                4179  0
> rt_ticpsw              26115  0
> rt_davinci_mdio         4570  0
> rt_smsc                 2165  0
> rtnet                  28479  7 tdma,rtcfg,rtmac,rtudp,rtipv4,rtpacket,rt_ticpsw
> omap_rng                4174  0
>
> I would like to ask you if you could take a look at my settings for the master
> in rtnet.conf and tdma.conf if everything is correct? For slave I have just
> change "master" to "slave". Should I start realtime loopback device and
> capturing interface? I do not have started the driver for realtime loopback
> device. Is that a problem?

I don't recall all details anymore, but I do not spot any obvious mistake.

What did you call to start rtnet on both sides? What was the console output? Did
you try adding -v to the start script to see more?

Jan

* Re: TDMA with RTnet on Xenomai
@ 2019-07-24  8:45                     ` danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-07-24  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai

RTnet starts at each boot with script "S51rtnet". I can also stop and start
rtnet by myself. See the output: I have to start rtnet with the script
S51rtnet.

# /usr/sbin/rtnet -cf /etc/rtnet.conf stop
[  328.192316] RTmac/TDMA: unloaded
[  328.200527] RTmac: unloaded
[  328.205608] RTcfg: unloaded
# /usr/sbin/rtnet -cf /etc/rtnet.conf -v start
Turning on verbose mode
insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/3.8.13-xeno/kernel/rtnet.ko': File exists
# /etc/init.d/S51rtnet start
Starting RTnet: rtnet rt_smsc rt_davinci_mdio rt_ticpsw rtpacket rtipv4
rtudp rtmac [
                                          349.250660] RTmac: init realtime
media access control
rtcfg [  350.275735] RTcfg: init real-time configuration distribution
protocol
tdma [  351.301744] RTmac/TDMA: init time division multiple access control
mechanism
OK
[  352.322560] cpsw 4a100000.ethernet: initializing cpsw version 1.12 (0)
[  352.332087] cpsw 4a100000.ethernet: phy found : id is : 0x7c0f1
[  352.338510] libphy: PHY 4a101000.mdio:01 not found
[  352.343569] cpsw 4a100000.ethernet: phy 4a101000.mdio:01 not found on
slave 1
# rtifconfig[  354.338178] libphy: 4a101000.mdio:00 - Link is Up - 100/Full

@ 2019-07-24  8:57                       ` Jan Kiszka
       [not found]                         ` <CAEmXcAxkjsXpkbw9UB-A59Qp6ZPN_pa3yq6_pXRvyicvEVKLmA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-07-24  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 24.07.19 10:45, danwe wrote:
> RTnet starts at each boot with script "S51rtnet". I can also stop and start
> rtnet by myself. See the output: I have to start rtnet with the script S51rtnet.
>
> # /usr/sbin/rtnet -cf /etc/rtnet.conf stop
> [  328.192316] RTmac/TDMA: unloaded
> [  328.200527] RTmac: unloaded
> [  328.205608] RTcfg: unloaded
> # /usr/sbin/rtnet -cf /etc/rtnet.conf -v start
> Turning on verbose mode
> insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/3.8.13-xeno/kernel/rtnet.ko': File exists

Ah, you are on legacy, out-of-tree RTnet! I forgot that RTnet only moved into
Xenomai for version 3.0. For 2.x, you are with the old repo that wasn't touched
since 2013. In this particular case, the script fails early because of "insmod
<existing-module>", rather than using "modprobe" like in Xenomai upstream.

You may run in many more such issues that have been fixed since then, and you
will be on your own there now. You really need to update to Xenomai 3.

Jan

@ 2019-07-24  9:08                         ` danwe
       [not found]                         ` <CAEmXcAxkjsXpkbw9UB-A59Qp6ZPN_pa3yq6_pXRvyicvEVKLmA@mail.gmail.com>
From: danwe @ 2019-07-24  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai

Am Mi., 24. Juli 2019 um 10:57 Uhr schrieb Jan Kiszka <
jan.kiszka@siemens.com>:

> On 24.07.19 10:45, danwe wrote:
> > RTnet starts at each boot with script "S51rtnet". I can also stop and
> start
> > rtnet by myself. See the output: I have to start rtnet with the script
> S51rtnet.
> >
> > # /usr/sbin/rtnet -cf /etc/rtnet.conf stop
> > [  328.192316] RTmac/TDMA: unloaded
> > [  328.200527] RTmac: unloaded
> > [  328.205608] RTcfg: unloaded
> > # /usr/sbin/rtnet -cf /etc/rtnet.conf -v start
> > Turning on verbose mode
> > insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/3.8.13-xeno/kernel/rtnet.ko': File
> exists
>
> Ah, you are on legacy, out-of-tree RTnet! I forgot that RTnet only moved
> into
> Xenomai for version 3.0. For 2.x, you are with the old repo that wasn't
> touched
> since 2013. In this particular case, the script fails early because of
> "insmod
> <existing-module>", rather than using "modprobe" like in Xenomai upstream.
>
> You may run in many more such issues that have been fixed since then, and
> you
> will be on your own there now. You really need to update to Xenomai 3.
>
> Oh okay. I am using Xenomai 2.x because of drivers for network adapter for
BeagleBone Black. I heard that RTnet is only working on Xenomai 2.x with
these drivers for network adapters. Do you know if there are any drivers
for network adapter for BeagleBone Black with Xenomai 3 and RTnet?

* Re: TDMA with RTnet on Xenomai
@ 2019-07-24  9:22                           ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-07-24  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 24.07.19 11:08, danwe wrote:

> Am Mi., 24. Juli 2019 um 10:57 Uhr schrieb Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com
> <mailto:jan.kiszka@siemens.com>>:
>
>     On 24.07.19 10:45, danwe wrote:
>     > RTnet starts at each boot with script "S51rtnet". I can also stop and start
>     > rtnet by myself. See the output: I have to start rtnet with the script
>     S51rtnet.
>     >
>     > # /usr/sbin/rtnet -cf /etc/rtnet.conf stop
>     > [  328.192316] RTmac/TDMA: unloaded
>     > [  328.200527] RTmac: unloaded
>     > [  328.205608] RTcfg: unloaded
>     > # /usr/sbin/rtnet -cf /etc/rtnet.conf -v start
>     > Turning on verbose mode
>     > insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/3.8.13-xeno/kernel/rtnet.ko': File exists
>
>     Ah, you are on legacy, out-of-tree RTnet! I forgot that RTnet only moved into
>     Xenomai for version 3.0. For 2.x, you are with the old repo that wasn't touched
>     since 2013. In this particular case, the script fails early because of "insmod
>     <existing-module>", rather than using "modprobe" like in Xenomai upstream.
>
>     You may run in many more such issues that have been fixed since then, and you
>     will be on your own there now. You really need to update to Xenomai 3.
>
> Oh okay. I am using Xenomai 2.x because of drivers for network adapter for
> BeagleBone Black. I heard that RTnet is only working on Xenomai 2.x with these
> drivers for network adapters. Do you know if there are any drivers for network
> adapter for BeagleBone Black with Xenomai 3 and RTnet?

Nope, there is nothing in-tree. If you have a driver already, you can try to
port it to the newer version. When lucky, it's only about resolving some smaller
build issues. Or reach out to the original author of that driver and ask for
support.

Jan

* Re: TDMA with RTnet on Xenomai
@ 2019-07-24 10:27                             ` danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-07-24 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai

One more question if it's okay.
I heard that you were one of the original author of that driver :D.
But nonetheless: One question about Xenomai with RTnet. You do need a
driver for RTnet working on Xenomai, right? And if you are using a
microcomputer like BealgeBone Black you do need a driver for RTnet working
on Xenomai on that BeagleBone Black. So if you change microcomputer or
Xenomai version to Xenomai 3, then that driver will be useless. Is that
correct?

Do those drivers need to be specially for BeagleBone Black or for the
AM225x processor on the BeagleBone Black. As many microcomputers use the
same processor, would nee driver work for all of them or does each
microcomputer need to have a specially driver?

And as I see on my distribution I do only have bbb_xeno_rtnet configuration
files. Do you know if those configurations files are the driver.. or? I
have files like bbb_xeno_rtnet_devconfig, bbb_xeno_rtnet_light_defconfig,
bbb_rtnet_defconfig. Or should the driver be one c-code?

Thanks again.

Daniel

@ 2019-07-24 11:05                               ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-07-24 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 24.07.19 12:27, danwe wrote:
> One more question if it's okay.
> I heard that you were one of the original author of that driver :D.

I wrote a few drivers for RTnet, but not this one. And I do not remember someone
submitting such a driver for upstream integration. It likely a classic
downstream work that will eventually fall apart.

> But nonetheless: One question about Xenomai with RTnet. You do need a driver for
> RTnet working on Xenomai, right? And if you are using a microcomputer like
> BealgeBone Black you do need a driver for RTnet working on Xenomai on that
> BeagleBone Black. So if you change microcomputer or Xenomai version to Xenomai
> 3, then that driver will be useless. Is that correct?

RTnet didn't change fundamentally when it was adopted by Xenomai. Some paths and
includes may need tuning, but that's it from that perspective. However, the
kernels change since then. You are on some obsolete 3.x kernel, Xenomai is on
4.4, 4.14 or 4.19 now. I rather suspect that you will need changes around that.

> Do those drivers need to be specially for BeagleBone Black or for the AM225x
> processor on the BeagleBone Black. As many microcomputers use the same
> processor, would nee driver work for all of them or does each microcomputer need
> to have a specially driver?

The driver needs to be for the Ethernet controller on that SoC, yes. Structures
of such drivers are similar, details aren't. You can easily check that by
comparing some in-tree drivers.

> And as I see on my distribution I do only have bbb_xeno_rtnet configuration
> files. Do you know if those configurations files are the driver.. or? I have
> files like bbb_xeno_rtnet_devconfig, bbb_xeno_rtnet_light_defconfig,
> bbb_rtnet_defconfig. Or should the driver be one c-code?

Apparently a long time ago, someone wrote a extension to RTnet, including that
driver for the BBB, but possibly more. That person seems to have left you with
the remainders that are now outdated. You may find out what changes were by
comparing (diff) your tree against the corresponding official RTnet version back
then - provided that can still be reconstructed. Then you can pick changes that
look relevant - like the driver - and carry them over to current Xenomai. But
you will need to study the details for that.

If porting is not feasible due to its complexity, you will need to debug in more
details what happens on your old version. Again, there is no way around looking
into the details, understanding what scripts and commands run or why not.

Jan

* Re: TDMA with RTnet on Xenomai
@ 2019-07-25 12:18                                 ` danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-07-25 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai

> The driver needs to be for the Ethernet controller on that SoC, yes.
> Structures
> of such drivers are similar, details aren't. You can easily check that by
> comparing some in-tree drivers.

Do you know the name of the driver for the Ethernet controller in a normale
Xenomai / RTnet project? As those config-files I wrote are just files for
buildroot. I'm sure that these are not files for any driver. So I thought
it would be much better to compare the driver for Ethernet controller in a
normal Xenomai / RTnet project to that driver which I have for the old
Kernel and the old RTnet. But I don't find it, I don't get the drivers name.

Thanks.

@ 2019-07-25 12:49                                   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-07-25 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 25.07.19 14:18, danwe wrote:
>     The driver needs to be for the Ethernet controller on that SoC, yes. Structures
>     of such drivers are similar, details aren't. You can easily check that by
>     comparing some in-tree drivers.
>

> Do you know the name of the driver for the Ethernet controller in a normale
> Xenomai / RTnet project? As those config-files I wrote are just files for
> buildroot. I'm sure that these are not files for any driver. So I thought it
> would be much better to compare the driver for Ethernet controller in a normal
> Xenomai / RTnet project to that driver which I have for the old Kernel and the
> old RTnet. But I don't find it, I don't get the drivers name.

There is none for the BBB's cpsw ("ti,am335x-cpsw"), neither in Xenomai nor the
old RTnet. If you have something running locally, someone must have given you
downstream changes.

Jan

* Re: TDMA with RTnet on Xenomai
@ 2019-07-25 13:04                                     ` danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-07-25 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai

> >     The driver needs to be for the Ethernet controller on that SoC, yes.
> Structures
> >     of such drivers are similar, details aren't. You can easily check
> that by
> >     comparing some in-tree drivers.
> >

> > Do you know the name of the driver for the Ethernet controller in a
> normale
> > Xenomai / RTnet project? As those config-files I wrote are just files for
> > buildroot. I'm sure that these are not files for any driver. So I
> thought it
> > would be much better to compare the driver for Ethernet controller in a
> normal
> > Xenomai / RTnet project to that driver which I have for the old Kernel
> and the
> > old RTnet. But I don't find it, I don't get the drivers name.
> >

> There is none for the BBB's cpsw ("ti,am335x-cpsw"), neither in Xenomai
> nor the
> old RTnet. If you have something running locally, someone must have given
> you
> downstream changes.
>

> I don't mean driver for BBB. I mean you said Xenomai3 / RTnet is working
on a e. g. linux computer. Just a normal computer. So there has to be a
driver for the Ethernet controller for the computer, hasn't it? Where can I
find that driver if I download Xenomai3 / RTnet? What is the name of that
driver?

@ 2019-07-25 14:13                                       ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-07-25 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 25.07.19 15:04, danwe wrote:

>     >     The driver needs to be for the Ethernet controller on that SoC, yes.
>     Structures
>     >     of such drivers are similar, details aren't. You can easily check that by
>     >     comparing some in-tree drivers.
>     >
>     >
>     > Do you know the name of the driver for the Ethernet controller in a normale
>     > Xenomai / RTnet project? As those config-files I wrote are just files for
>     > buildroot. I'm sure that these are not files for any driver. So I thought it
>     > would be much better to compare the driver for Ethernet controller in a normal
>     > Xenomai / RTnet project to that driver which I have for the old Kernel and the
>     > old RTnet. But I don't find it, I don't get the drivers name.
>     >

>     There is none for the BBB's cpsw ("ti,am335x-cpsw"), neither in Xenomai nor the
>     old RTnet. If you have something running locally, someone must have given you
>     downstream changes.
>

> I don't mean driver for BBB. I mean you said Xenomai3 / RTnet is working on a e.
> g. linux computer. Just a normal computer. So there has to be a driver for the
> Ethernet controller for the computer, hasn't it? Where can I find that driver if
> I download Xenomai3 / RTnet? What is the name of that driver?

Ah, sorry, read to mail to quickly: common Intel NICs are best supported,
everything that is driven by e1000e or igb under Linux.

Jan

* Fwd: TDMA with RTnet on Xenomai
       [not found]                         ` <CAEmXcAxkjsXpkbw9UB-A59Qp6ZPN_pa3yq6_pXRvyicvEVKLmA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-07-31  8:55                           ` danwe
From: danwe @ 2019-07-31  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

I have found that my modules are loading via "modprobe".
You wrote:
"Ah, you are on legacy, out-of-tree RTnet! I forgot that RTnet only moved
into
Xenomai for version 3.0. For 2.x, you are with the old repo that wasn't
touched
since 2013. In this particular case, the script fails early because of
"insmod
<existing-module>", rather than using "modprobe" like in Xenomai upstream".

So in my S51rtnet it loads modules like this:
for i in rtnet rt_smsc rt_davinci_mdio rt_ticpsw rtpacket rtipv4 rtmac
rtcfg tdma
do
     echo -n"$i "
    modprobe ${i}
    sleep 1
done

As you write "rather than using "modprobe" like in Xenomai upstream"...
should tdma work on Xenomai 2 / RTnet here or is it just a problem because
of ouf-of-tree RTnet?

Daniel.

* Re: Fwd: TDMA with RTnet on Xenomai
@ 2019-07-31  9:29                             ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-07-31  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danwe, xenomai

On 31.07.19 10:55, danwe via Xenomai wrote:
> I have found that my modules are loading via "modprobe".
> You wrote:
> "Ah, you are on legacy, out-of-tree RTnet! I forgot that RTnet only moved
> into
> Xenomai for version 3.0. For 2.x, you are with the old repo that wasn't
> touched
> since 2013. In this particular case, the script fails early because of
> "insmod
> <existing-module>", rather than using "modprobe" like in Xenomai upstream".
>
> So in my S51rtnet it loads modules like this:
> for i in rtnet rt_smsc rt_davinci_mdio rt_ticpsw rtpacket rtipv4 rtmac
> rtcfg tdma
> do
>      echo -n"$i "
>     modprobe ${i}
>     sleep 1
> done
>
> As you write "rather than using "modprobe" like in Xenomai upstream"...
> should tdma work on Xenomai 2 / RTnet here or is it just a problem because
> of ouf-of-tree RTnet?

The problem is you have two scripts now working against each other. The legacy
start script from legacy RTnet would do the heavy-lifting for RTmac/TDMA & Co.
but stumbles over insmod for an already loaded module. And your own start script
uses the right insmod but only does that, nothing for the full configuration.
Remove the latter, and you may get further - unless legacy RTnet has more surprises.

Jan