* Feature Request:  SQE's flag for when you are not interested in the op.result
@ 2020-04-22  8:04 Mark Papadakis
From: Mark Papadakis @ 2020-04-22  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: io-uring

When e.g manipulating epoll state via its FD, most of the time you don’t care wether e.g EPOLL_CTL_DEL succeeds or fails, or you know that it will “never” fail. In such cases maybe it ‘d be beneficial to support another IOSQE flag which, when set, would instruct the io_uring to not include a matching CQE for that SQE when processed.
It’s not a big deal, per se, but it would probably help somewhat with performance.

@markpapadakis

* Re: Feature Request: SQE's flag for when you are not interested in the op.result
@ 2020-04-22  8:27 ` Daurnimator
From: Daurnimator @ 2020-04-22  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Papadakis; +Cc: io-uring

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 at 18:13, Mark Papadakis <markuspapadakis@icloud.com> wrote:

> When e.g manipulating epoll state via its FD, most of the time you don’t care wether e.g EPOLL_CTL_DEL succeeds or fails, or you know that it will “never” fail. In such cases maybe it ‘d be beneficial to support another IOSQE flag which, when set, would instruct the io_uring to not include a matching CQE for that SQE when processed.
> It’s not a big deal, per se, but it would probably help somewhat with performance.

I don't know if this makes sense: it could always fail e.g. due to a
security module.
And because you always need to check for failure, you need to know
when success happens so you can stop tracking for possible failures.