* Re: [yocto] #yocto CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL Where can I find a list of valid package names?
       [not found] <45bT.1612391155068335774.AQwA@lists.yoctoproject.org>
@ 2021-02-04  8:12 ` Josef Holzmayr
       [not found]   ` <CAK1D6_7ZDcFp2MrmQ1kAXd2nnuep9TbVFauuaO5-3aAkHkHN5w@mail.gmail.com>
       [not found]   ` <1b153bce-a66a-45ee-a5c6-963ea6fb1c82.949ef384-8293-46b8-903f-40a477c056ae.dcdcaee4-88c6-4ad3-bbe3-a9873c287064@emailsignatures365.codetwo.com>
From: Josef Holzmayr @ 2021-02-04  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Howdy!

Am Mi., 3. Feb. 2021 um 23:26 Uhr schrieb <ddbabich@bootseeds.com>:
> Hi, I've just started making use of the CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL variable in my local.conf.  I'm really confused about where everyone is finding valid names for the packages?  I though maybe it was the recipe names in meta but I've run into build errors if I add something like "dhcp" to the list for example.  I looked it up in the yocto manual and it just basically restates what I already know but without telling me how to find package names.  When I search around on google all I find are examples of people adding packages to it and having some issue, but I haven't seen any reference to where those names come from.  Could someone please point me to the documentation, or point me where to look for a list of valid names?

Well for the most of us its pure experience and knowledge -most
package names actually match the recipe name, its a somewhat rough
best practise. However, to get a list of packages available in a
specific build, you can use

oe-pkgdata-util list-pkgs

... and pipe it trough your most loved pager/searcher :)

Greetz!

* Re: #yocto CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL Where can I find a list of valid package names?
       [not found]   ` <CAK1D6_7ZDcFp2MrmQ1kAXd2nnuep9TbVFauuaO5-3aAkHkHN5w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-02-04  8:32     ` David Babich
From: David Babich @ 2021-02-04  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

FYI I just tried your suggestion and it yielded great results.  Nice suggestion!

@ 2021-02-04  9:36     ` Quentin Schulz
From: Quentin Schulz @ 2021-02-04  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi David,

On Thu, Feb 04, 2021 at 01:24:35AM -0700, David Babich wrote:
> Thanks for that reply.  I actually deleted my message from the forum post
> because I thought maybe I hadn't dug through things enough and perhaps I
> was wasting people's time.  But I think you provided some validation to my
> question.  I'm more used to the typical ncurses method of configuration of
> the old days with a kernel config a rootfs config etc.   I will try your
> suggested command.  But I'm wondering are the names typical of what I might
> expect if I were to do something like "sudo apt-get install <whatever>"

Not always. E.g. debian packages are renamed if they only have a library
in it to be the name of said library. This does not happen for rpm and
opkg. Note: this is a vague memory, I don't use de packages in Yocto so
to be taken with a grain of salt.

> (which is somewhat of an experience thing) or do I just simply need to dig
> around on web searches to find out what the actual name is.  I've found

Not web searches. Basically, one would need to identify the recipe
building the software in the package you want to find.
From there, you can read the list of packages in PACKAGES (sometimes,
like for gstreamer plugins for example, it is dynamically set so you
won't be able to find them by just reading the recipe (though you can
more or less guess them)).

To know what's inside one of the packages without baking the recipe, one
would need to have a look at the FILES_${PN}<-xxx> variables.

It's therefore mostly knowledge and trial and errors as Josef said.

The difficulty for the Yocto project to compile a list of packages and
which recipe build them is that packages can depend on configuration
files (machines, distros, ...). Sometimes they do appear, sometimes not.
Sometimes a package for a distro contains more than a package for
another distro while having the same name.

Which is also a reason why ncurses/menuconfig would be hard for Yocto
Project, because content of packages are not guaranteed to be identical
between machines and distros, so it'd be hard to give descriptions of
options to select.

Hope this helps,
Quentin

* Re: [yocto] #yocto CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL Where can I find a list of valid package names?
@ 2021-02-05 16:27       ` Yi Fan Yu
From: Yi Fan Yu @ 2021-02-05 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

new here, pointing out of the obvious? website

https://layers.openembedded.org/

@ 2021-02-05 17:11         ` Leon Woestenberg
From: Leon Woestenberg @ 2021-02-05 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yi Fan Yu

Hello,

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 5:27 PM Yi Fan Yu <yifan.yu@windriver.com> wrote:

> new here, pointing out of the obvious? website
>
> https://layers.openembedded.org/

What's obvious? There are no package names there, only recipe names
that I am aware of.

So for the non-obvious packages it still is a bit of guesswork, or the

Leon.

* Re: [yocto] #yocto CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL Where can I find a list of valid package names?
       [not found]     ` <1b153bce-a66a-45ee-a5c6-963ea6fb1c82.0d2bd5fa-15cc-4b27-b94e-83614f9e5b38.86e89b35-f3c2-4cc2-b281-50fe894ebd7c@emailsignatures365.codetwo.com>
@ 2021-02-08  6:58       ` Mike Looijmans
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2021-02-08  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Met vriendelijke groet / kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Embedded Products B.V.
Materiaalweg 4, 5681 RJ Best
The Netherlands

T: +31 (0) 499 33 69 69
E: mike.looijmans@topicproducts.com
W: www.topicproducts.com

On 04-02-2021 09:12, Josef Holzmayr via lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:
> oe-pkgdata-util list-pkgs

Oh, I've been using OE from the times I still had hair on my head, but
never found this gem. Thanks for the tip!

--
Mike Looijmans