* Yocto with xtensa
@ 2021-05-12 10:43 onyx22574
From: onyx22574 @ 2021-05-12 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Dears,

I am looking for a way to include sample code for DSP (xtensa) with
Yocto/Linux. what would be the procedure to include such a code and
eventually interprocessor communication between xtensa core and CPU under
Yocto/Linux?

Thank you.
BR/J

* Re: [yocto] Yocto with xtensa
@ 2021-05-12 23:06 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-05-12 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Daniels; +Cc: Yocto Project

Hello Jack,

I think we do not have support for Xtensa architecture working out of
box upstream. Although it should be possible to add it with little
effort, but no one has spun patches to do so
thus far.

Thanks
-Khem

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 1:29 PM Jack Daniels <onyx22574@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dears,
>
> I am looking for a way to include sample code for DSP (xtensa) with Yocto/Linux. what would be the procedure to include such a code and eventually interprocessor communication between xtensa core and CPU under Yocto/Linux?
>
> Thank you.
> BR/J

* Re: [yocto] Yocto with xtensa
@ 2021-05-13  6:45   ` Jack Daniels
From: Jack Daniels @ 2021-05-13  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Yocto Project

Hello Khem,

Thank you for the information.
Is it about adding support for the xtensa build system (toolchain)? Is it
work for heterogeneous SoC (CPU/ARM + DSP/xtensa) as well?

Thank you.
BR/J

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 1:07 AM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Jack,
>
> I think we do not have support for Xtensa architecture working out of
> box upstream. Although it should be possible to add it with little
> effort, but no one has spun patches to do so
> thus far.
>
> Thanks
> -Khem
>
> On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 1:29 PM Jack Daniels <onyx22574@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dears,
> >
> > I am looking for a way to include sample code for DSP (xtensa) with
> Yocto/Linux. what would be the procedure to include such a code and
> eventually interprocessor communication between xtensa core and CPU under
> Yocto/Linux?
> >
> > Thank you.
> > BR/J

* Re: [yocto] Yocto with xtensa
@ 2021-05-13 14:11     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-05-13 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Daniels; +Cc: Yocto Project

On 5/12/21 11:45 PM, Jack Daniels wrote:
> Hello Khem,
>
> Thank you for the information.
> Is it about adding support for the xtensa build system (toolchain)? Is
> it work for heterogeneous SoC (CPU/ARM + DSP/xtensa) as well?

I can think of few ways

build your Xtensa firmware outside yocto and let yocto package it via
recipes for prebuilts and build ARM system with yocto should work well

second option is to integrate Xtensa support into OE and then use
multiconfig feature to build firmware for heterogenous systems.
this will be preferred and forward looking for future but it will be
more work