On Fri, 11 Jun 2021, 15:02 Jan Beulich, wrote: > On 11.06.2021 12:41, Julien Grall wrote: > > On Fri, 11 Jun 2021, 11:16 Jan Beulich, wrote: > > > >> On 11.06.2021 10:00, Julien Grall wrote: > >>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021, 08:55 Jan Beulich, wrote: > >>> > >>>> The Arm ARM's description of MSR doesn't even allow for plain "SPSR" > >>>> here, and while gas accepts this, it takes it to mean SPSR_cf. Yet > >>>> surely all of SPSR wants updating on this path, not just the lowest > and > >>>> highest 8 bits. > >>>> > >>> > >>> Can you provide a reference to the Arm Arm? This would help to navigate > >>> through the 8000 pages. > >> > >> Referencing the instruction page would be enough, I thought (as > >> even I, not being an Arm person, have no difficulty locating it). > >> If it isn't, how is a canonical doc ref supposed to look like on > >> Arm? On x86, we avoid recording document versions, section > >> numbers, or even page numbers in code comments or commit messages > >> (which isn't to say we have none of these, but we try to avoid > >> new ones to appear), as these tend to change with every new > >> version of the doc. Therefore, to me, the offending commit's "ARM > >> DDI 0487D.b page G8-5993" doesn't look like something I wanted to > >> clone from. But if you tell me otherwise, then well - so be it. > > > > > > The Arm website provides a link for nearly every revision on the specs. > As > > the wording can change between version, it is useful to know which spec > the > > understanding is based from. > > > > Note that for Arm32 we should quote the Armv7 spec and not the Armv8 one > > because we only follow the former (there are a few small differences). > > Thanks for having me dig out an up-to-date Armv7 spec. I find this > puzzling in particular because you didn't care to have the earlier > commit provide a v7 doc ref. Initially I did intentionally use (a > newer version of) the doc that was pointed at there (which I also > think is better structured than the v7 one). Well Stefano replied past midnight UK time with the reference and committed nearly afterwards. So I didn't really have time to object... When I asked for the reference I didn't think I needed to mention it should be the Armv7 as he should know we only support Armv7 for 32-bit. I didn't bother to reply afterwards. But given there is a bug and you quoted him, I chose to make clear that reference should be Armv7 only. Cheers, > Jan > >