On 25 April 2017 at 14:14, Robert Nichols wrote: > On 04/24/2017 06:49 PM, protagonist wrote: > >> However, I assume it is likely that a determined attacker running as >> root might be able to extract the master key from RAM if the encrypted >> volume in question is still open at the time of attack, so technically, >> there would be a way to do this without the password. >> > > It's trivial. Just run "dmsetup table --showkeys" on the device. Wowzer. 'cryptsetup luksDump --dump-master-key' can also provide this info but it requires a passphrase, which 'dmsetup table --showkeys' does not. So must we assume that anyone who has ever had root access while the encrypted device is mounted can thereafter ​break through the encryption regardless of passphrases? At least until cryptsetup-reencrypt is run on the device, which is a big step.