* #linux-amlogic IRC channel: move to Libera.Chat or OFTC?
@ 2021-05-26 18:25 Martin Blumenstingl
From: Martin Blumenstingl @ 2021-05-26 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-amlogic; +Cc: jbrunet, Neil Armstrong, khilman, carlo, Beniamino Galvani

Hello,

today the #linux-amlogic channel on Freenode was taken over by the
Freenode network administrators: [0]
I believe it is because the channel subject contained "Also on Libera.Chat".

Due to the recent events going on with Freenode other (large)
communities are also leaving Freenode, for example:
- Arch Linux: migrating to Libera.Chat
- OpenWrt: migrating to OFTC
- panfrost and lima drivers: migrating to OFTC
- (many more)

So I think we have two options:
1. Moving to Libera.Chat
2. Moving to OFTC
3. Trying to get back our "old" channel on Freenode

The steps (as far as I can tell) for switching to a new network are:
- creating #linux-amlogic on the new network (already done by Neil on
Libera.Chat and OFTC)
- inviting the whitequark IRC logger to the channel on the new network
- updating the topic of the new channel to inform users that all
messages are logged and the logs are available publicly
- updating our wiki with the new IRC network: [1]

I am not sure which steps need to be taken to get our "old" channel on
Freenode back.

What do you think?

Personally I vote for option #1 or #2.
I have no strong preference on which network to choose.

Best regards,
Martin

[0] https://freenode.irclog.whitequark.org/linux-amlogic/2021-05-26
[1] http://linux-meson.com/

* Re: #linux-amlogic IRC channel: move to Libera.Chat or OFTC?
@ 2021-05-26 19:24 ` Jerome Brunet
From: Jerome Brunet @ 2021-05-26 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Blumenstingl, linux-amlogic
  Cc: Neil Armstrong, khilman, carlo, Beniamino Galvani

On Wed 26 May 2021 at 20:25, Martin Blumenstingl <martin.blumenstingl@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> today the #linux-amlogic channel on Freenode was taken over by the
> Freenode network administrators: [0]
> I believe it is because the channel subject contained "Also on Libera.Chat".
>
> Due to the recent events going on with Freenode other (large)
> communities are also leaving Freenode, for example:
> - Arch Linux: migrating to Libera.Chat
> - OpenWrt: migrating to OFTC
> - panfrost and lima drivers: migrating to OFTC
> - (many more)
>
> So I think we have two options:
> 1. Moving to Libera.Chat
> 2. Moving to OFTC
> 3. Trying to get back our "old" channel on Freenode
>
> The steps (as far as I can tell) for switching to a new network are:
> - creating #linux-amlogic on the new network (already done by Neil on
> Libera.Chat and OFTC)
> - inviting the whitequark IRC logger to the channel on the new network
> - updating the topic of the new channel to inform users that all
> messages are logged and the logs are available publicly
> - updating our wiki with the new IRC network: [1]
>
> I am not sure which steps need to be taken to get our "old" channel on
> Freenode back.
>
> What do you think?

My 2 cents.
I see no valid reason for what happened today on the channel and I don't
think that trying to argue with freenode's staff is worth the effort

> Personally I vote for option #1 or #2.

+1

> I have no strong preference on which network to choose.

Is there any difference between the two networks ?

@ 2021-05-26 20:34   ` Martin Blumenstingl
From: Martin Blumenstingl @ 2021-05-26 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Brunet
  Cc: linux-amlogic, Neil Armstrong, khilman, carlo, Beniamino Galvani

Hi Jerome

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 9:24 PM Jerome Brunet <jbrunet@baylibre.com> wrote:
[...]
> > I have no strong preference on which network to choose.
> >

> Is there any difference between the two networks ?
OFTC was founded back in 2001
Libera.Chat is run by former freenode staff members and was only
founded this month (May 2021)

I picked a few channels I know about as examples
lima and panfrost (our GPU drivers) have moved their channels to OFTC.
LibreELEC, armbian and #armlinux have moved their channels to Libera.Chat.
I have no doubt that there are more channels out there which are
"related" to #linux-amlogic.

Neil just wrote: "Half of my channels went to oftc and the rest to
libera, so the choice is not easy"
It's pretty much the same situation for me.

Best regards,
Martin

* Re: #linux-amlogic IRC channel: move to Libera.Chat or OFTC?
@ 2021-05-27  7:32 ` Neil Armstrong
From: Neil Armstrong @ 2021-05-27  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Blumenstingl, linux-amlogic
  Cc: jbrunet, khilman, carlo, Beniamino Galvani

Hi Martin,

Thanks for starting this thread.

I sent an email to the contact-us@freenode.net but had no answer so far, honestly I don't expect a reply.

> The steps (as far as I can tell) for switching to a new network are:
> - creating #linux-amlogic on the new network (already done by Neil on
> Libera.Chat and OFTC)
> - inviting the whitequark IRC logger to the channel on the new network
> - updating the topic of the new channel to inform users that all
> messages are logged and the logs are available publicly
> - updating our wiki with the new IRC network: [1]
>
> I am not sure which steps need to be taken to get our "old" channel on
> Freenode back.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Personally I vote for option #1 or #2.
> I have no strong preference on which network to choose.

Neither but it seems the most users have migrated to the Libera.Chat channel, so I'll be
in favor to switch to libera.

Let us a few days to decide again and do the switch early next week.

Neil

@ 2021-05-31  7:20   ` Neil Armstrong
From: Neil Armstrong @ 2021-05-31  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Blumenstingl, linux-amlogic
  Cc: jbrunet, khilman, carlo, Beniamino Galvani

Hi All,

On 27/05/2021 09:32, Neil Armstrong wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for starting this thread.
>
> On 26/05/2021 20:25, Martin Blumenstingl wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> today the #linux-amlogic channel on Freenode was taken over by the
>> Freenode network administrators: [0]
>> I believe it is because the channel subject contained "Also on Libera.Chat".
>>
>> Due to the recent events going on with Freenode other (large)
>> communities are also leaving Freenode, for example:
>> - Arch Linux: migrating to Libera.Chat
>> - OpenWrt: migrating to OFTC
>> - panfrost and lima drivers: migrating to OFTC
>> - (many more)
>>
>> So I think we have two options:
>> 1. Moving to Libera.Chat
>> 2. Moving to OFTC
>> 3. Trying to get back our "old" channel on Freenode
>
> I sent an email to the contact-us@freenode.net but had no answer so far, honestly I don't expect a reply.

I finally got access back to the channel on freenode:

Dear Neil,

We greatly apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you so much
for your patience.  We have transferred #linux-amlogic to ’narmstrong’
on freenode.

If you have any other questions or comments, please do not hesitate
to reach out.  Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience this
caused.

Thank you for choosing freenode.

Best regards,
Andrew

But this doesn't mean it won't happen again.

>> The steps (as far as I can tell) for switching to a new network are:
>> - creating #linux-amlogic on the new network (already done by Neil on
>> Libera.Chat and OFTC)
>> - inviting the whitequark IRC logger to the channel on the new network
>> - updating the topic of the new channel to inform users that all
>> messages are logged and the logs are available publicly
>> - updating our wiki with the new IRC network: [1]
>>
>> I am not sure which steps need to be taken to get our "old" channel on
>> Freenode back.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Personally I vote for option #1 or #2.
>> I have no strong preference on which network to choose.
>
> Neither but it seems the most users have migrated to the Libera.Chat channel, so I'll be
> in favor to switch to libera.
>
> Let us a few days to decide again and do the switch early next week.

I'm still in favor to switch to Libera.Chat,

Neil

@ 2021-05-31 19:18     ` Martin Blumenstingl
From: Martin Blumenstingl @ 2021-05-31 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Armstrong; +Cc: linux-amlogic, jbrunet, khilman, carlo, Beniamino Galvani

Hi Neil,

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 9:20 AM Neil Armstrong <narmstrong@baylibre.com> wrote:
[...]
> >> Personally I vote for option #1 or #2.
> >> I have no strong preference on which network to choose.
> >
> > Neither but it seems the most users have migrated to the Libera.Chat channel, so I'll be
> > in favor to switch to libera.
> >
> > Let us a few days to decide again and do the switch early next week.
>
> I'm still in favor to switch to Libera.Chat,
7 users found the channel on OFTC
28 users found the channel on Libera.Chat

so in my opinion the community has decided
That's why I am also for using #linux-amlogic on Libera.Chat as our
main IRC channel

Best regards,
Martin

* Re: #linux-amlogic IRC channel: move to Libera.Chat or OFTC?
@ 2021-06-01  8:19       ` Neil Armstrong
From: Neil Armstrong @ 2021-06-01  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Blumenstingl
  Cc: linux-amlogic, jbrunet, khilman, carlo, Beniamino Galvani

On 31/05/2021 21:18, Martin Blumenstingl wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 9:20 AM Neil Armstrong <narmstrong@baylibre.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Neither but it seems the most users have migrated to the Libera.Chat channel, so I'll be
>>> in favor to switch to libera.
>>>
>>> Let us a few days to decide again and do the switch early next week.
>>
>> I'm still in favor to switch to Libera.Chat,
> 7 users found the channel on OFTC
> 28 users found the channel on Libera.Chat
>
> so in my opinion the community has decided
> That's why I am also for using #linux-amlogic on Libera.Chat as our
> main IRC channel

Ack, making this offical now.

Thanks,
Neil