* [dm-crypt] luks header on initramfs img
@ 2014-08-07  1:09 Henrique Abreu
From: Henrique Abreu @ 2014-08-07  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

I use to have a setup with luks header on a separate file, as describe here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Specialties#Encrypted_system_using_a_remote_LUKS_header

But since update from 1.6.4 to 1.6.5 it doesn't work anymore. It just keeps
asking for the passphrase on and on without any error messages.

I noticed that, if I mount a usb drive and move the header from memory to
the drive, then attempt to open again with the exact same command (below)
it works:
# cryptsetup open --header header.img --type luks /dev/sda4 lvm

So, the difference is just where the header.img file is placed. For now, I
have downgraded back to 1.6.4 to keep my boot setup simpler.
I rather use the header image inside initramfs if possible instead of
having to mount a usb at boot just to read the header.

Does anyone know if that's intended for not working anymore or if it's a
bug?

Thanks,

Henrique Abreu

* Re: [dm-crypt] luks header on initramfs img
@ 2014-08-07  4:16 ` Milan Broz
From: Milan Broz @ 2014-08-07  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hgabreu, dm-crypt

On 08/07/2014 03:09 AM, Henrique Abreu wrote:
> I use to have a setup with luks header on a separate file, as describe here:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Specialties#Encrypted_system_using_a_remote_LUKS_header
>
> But since update from 1.6.4 to 1.6.5 it doesn't work anymore. It just keeps asking for the passphrase on and on without any error messages.
>
> I noticed that, if I mount a usb drive and move the header from memory to the drive, then attempt to open again with the exact same command (below) it works:
> # cryptsetup open --header header.img --type luks /dev/sda4 lvm
>
> So, the difference is just where the header.img file is placed. For now, I have downgraded back to 1.6.4 to keep my boot setup simpler.
> I rather use the header image inside initramfs if possible instead of having to mount a usb at boot just to read the header.
>
> Does anyone know if that's intended for not working anymore or if it's a bug?

There is no reason this should not work.
(It could be bug elsewhere as well, 1.6.5 already uncovered 2 kernel bugs...)

Can you paste debug output from the failing command?
(Add --debug option.)

Thanks,
Milan

* Re: [dm-crypt] luks header on initramfs img
@ 2014-08-08 13:22   ` Milan Broz
From: Milan Broz @ 2014-08-08 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hgabreu, dm-crypt

On 08/07/2014 06:16 AM, Milan Broz wrote:
> On 08/07/2014 03:09 AM, Henrique Abreu wrote:
>> I use to have a setup with luks header on a separate file, as describe here:
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Specialties#Encrypted_system_using_a_remote_LUKS_header
>>
>> But since update from 1.6.4 to 1.6.5 it doesn't work anymore. It just keeps asking for the passphrase on and on without any error messages.
>>
>> I noticed that, if I mount a usb drive and move the header from memory to the drive, then attempt to open again with the exact same command (below) it works:
>> # cryptsetup open --header header.img --type luks /dev/sda4 lvm
>>
>> So, the difference is just where the header.img file is placed. For now, I have downgraded back to 1.6.4 to keep my boot setup simpler.
>> I rather use the header image inside initramfs if possible instead of having to mount a usb at boot just to read the header.
>>
>> Does anyone know if that's intended for not working anymore or if it's a bug?
>
> There is no reason this should not work.
> (It could be bug elsewhere as well, 1.6.5 already uncovered 2 kernel bugs...)

Should be fixed in devel git (and in 1.6.6 which will be released in a few days).
(Basically I forgot to use wrapper for device open which avoids using O_DIRECT
if not supported, like in tmpfs.)

Thanks for report!

Milan

* Re: [dm-crypt] luks header on initramfs img
@ 2014-08-08 18:16     ` Henrique Abreu
From: Henrique Abreu @ 2014-08-08 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Broz; +Cc: dm-crypt