From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@eu.citrix.com>
To: Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com>
Cc: Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@citrix.com>,
	Doug Goldstein <cardoe@cardoe.com>,
	Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@citrix.com>,
	"xen-devel@lists.xen.org" <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>
Subject: Re: xenbits GitHub mirror?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 11:21:32 +0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 10:55 AM, Andrew Cooper
<andrew.cooper3@citrix.com> wrote:
> On 27/01/16 09:45, Ian Campbell wrote:

>>> Its not easier or different. I just remembered from the Xen Developer
>>> Summit that a few people complained that a lot of the patch series
>>> posted to the ML really should be available as a repo because they were
>>> quite large and hard to review. I see this comment come up over and over
>>> on the ML myself as well so I was just trying to lower the barriers to
>>> people doing that. I know the reason people don't isn't technical so
>>> this isn't really a technical solution but I figured this is more a
>>> social thing. GitHub has the ability to mark a repo as a mirror and not
>>> allow pull requests or issues, which is what I would recommend. I'm just
>>> looking at improving the community aspect. I could create an
>>> organization called "xen-mirror" and get it setup and turn it over to
>>> the Xen Project.
>>>
>>> Again, I'm fine with an answer of "no" here. Just trying to pitch out
>>> ideas to solve what some see as an irritation.
>> I don't think you need anybodies permission to do this if you think it will
>> be valuable.
>
> If there is going to be an official github mirror, then it should be
> part of github.com/xen-project rather than hosted by a random developer.

Just to be clear, I think Ian was suggesting that Doug could make an
unofficial mirror (as the mirage guys have done).

> FWIW, I am +1 for setting up infrastructure like this, but lets do it
> properly.
>
> Lars: Thoughts?

Doug says that you can mark a repo as a 'mirror', which will prevent
people from being able to send pull requests to it; so I think my
technical objection has been answered.

I think the idea is still only half-baked though, as I'm not sure how
having a github mirror will make it so that most mail has a git repo
you can pull from (which would be necessary to reach the ultimate
goal, making it straightforward to apply patches sent to the list).

 -George