From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@eu.citrix.com>
To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@suse.com>
Cc: Rodger McIntosh <rodger@geekshake.com>,
	"xen-devel@lists.xen.org" <xen-devel@lists.xen.org>
Subject: Re: [BUG] Hypervisor 4.3 fails to init Marvel SATA III when Vt-d is enabled in the BIOS (failed to IDENTIFY)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 09:59:19 +0100	[thread overview]

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@suse.com> wrote:
>> Problem:
>> When booting with the Xen Hypervisor after enabling Vt-d in the BIOS some
>> drives disappear from /dev (see dev.txt and dev-xen.txt).
>>
>> Environment:
>> Motherboard -> Asus Sabertooth X79
>> Processor -> Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz
>> RAM -> 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) = 32GB
>> PCIe -> HighPoint Rocket 640L PCI-Express 2.0 x4 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) RAID
>> Controller Card
>> OS -> Ubuntu 3.11.0-18

>> My system has 6 SATA II ports and 2 SATA III ports on board. I have added a
>> 4 port SATA III controller as a PCIex4 device. The 6 SATA II ports are
>> connected to 6 SAMSUNG HD103SJ 1TB hard drives. The on board SATA III ports
>> are connected to 2 Blue Ray drives. The 4 port SATA III controller is
>> connected to 4 Corsair Force LS 60GB SSDs.
>>
>> When booting without the hypervisor all drives operate as expected. When
>> booting with the hypervisor both Blue Ray drives and 2 of the SSD drives go
>> missing. dmesg shows errors 'failed to IDENTIFY (INIT_DEV_PARAMS failed,
>> err_mask=0x80)' and 'failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)' and
>> 'COMRESET failed (errno=-16)'; (see dmesg.txt and dmesg-xen.txt). lspci
>> doesn't show any real difference in the devices; just some interrupt IRQ
>> numbers.
>>
>> I've tried all (that I know of) iommu command line parameters with no luck;
>> no-intremap,pass-through,no-qinval,no-snoop,workaround_bios_bug.
>
> But I suppose you didn't try the "pci-phantom=" option that was
> specifically added for controllers like this (see
> http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commitdiff;h=4e3c592c93d7dbe02ca36878457515d30fe931d2)?

It probably would have been better to link to the command-line
reference instead of a git commit:

http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/misc/xen-command-line.html

As it is, the documentation is a bit sparse -- maybe next doc day I'll
try to write up a wiki page that will be easier to follow (and perhaps
more discoverable on Google).

I suppose there's no way we could add devices like this to a "quirks"
file, so that users don't have to figure this out on their own?

 -George