From: Brian Hutchinson <b.hutchman@gmail.com>
To: Peter Bergin <peter@berginkonsult.se>
Cc: meta-freescale@lists.yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [meta-freescale] fw_printenv works but fw_setenv does not after switching to linux-fslc-imx 5.10.69 from linux-fslc-imx 5.4.114
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 09:06:56 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi Peter,

Update below.

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 4:14 PM Peter Bergin <peter@berginkonsult.se> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> On 2021-11-08 13:55, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
> > It does not.  It shows no signs of a problem, returns no errors or
> > warnings at all.  It "looks" like it worked normal but does not change
> > the u-boot environment variable.
> >
> libubootenv in hardknott seems to be 0.3.1. Looked in the libubootenv
> repo and found this commit that is added after which indicates that it
> could be silent failure of fw_setenv.
>
> https://github.com/sbabic/libubootenv/commit/42f919e29c7b5e86a25877a9c492017e62f8827c
> I don't have a clue if this helps but just to help you with ideas one
> thing could be to test this and see if the function libuboot_set_env
> returns error code or not.
>
> Can you write to the memory with some other application than fw_setenv?

No.  Apparently not.  I've compared kernel .config and device tree source
from 5.4 series kernel and 5.10 series kernel and I cannot find an
explanation for this but the following test fails:

root@imx8mmevk:~# flashcp -v ./imx8mm-evk.dtb /dev/mtd7

Erasing blocks: 11/11 (100%)
Writing data: 40k/40k (100%)
Verifying data: 10k/40k (24%)File does not seem to match flash data. First
mismatch at 0x00000000-0x00002800

I simply tried writing a file to an area of my NOR that I didn't care if it
got overwritten.  So it does look like there is a problem with kernel
flexspi driver or mtd drivers?

Regards,

Brian