* Out of inodes on my f2fs partition
@ 2018-08-30 14:44 Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2018-08-30 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-f2fs-devel

I have run out of space on my 1TB SSD formatted with f2fs, but df
shows it is only 35% full.

df -i shows 100% of the inodes are in use.

What can I do?  I don't see any mkfs.f2fs or mount options for
increasing the number of inodes.

--wpd

* Re: Out of inodes on my f2fs partition
@ 2018-08-30 15:20 ` Chao Yu
From: Chao Yu @ 2018-08-30 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle, linux-f2fs-devel

Hi Patrick,

Can you try -i option?

@ 2018-08-30 15:30   ` Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2018-08-30 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chao; +Cc: linux-f2fs-devel

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 11:22 AM Chao Yu <chao@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> Can you try -i option?

Hello Chao,
Thank you for your reply.  For which command should I try the -i
option?  I presume you mean df:

$ df -i /home/wpd/src/
Filesystem      Inodes   IUsed  IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/nvme0n1   9784317 9410039 374278   97% /home/wpd/src

And, for reference:
$ df /home/wpd/src
Filesystem      1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/nvme0n1   1000202584 324990344 671159248  33% /home/wpd/src

My f2fs partition is only 33% full, but I can no longer build on it,
as I keep getting "device out of space" errors.

I don't see any mechanism to tune (dynamically) or fix (at mkfs.f2fs
time) the number of inodes.  I am desperately looking for a clue now
:-)

@ 2018-08-30 15:38     ` Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2018-08-30 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chao; +Cc: linux-f2fs-devel

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 11:30 AM Patrick Doyle <wpdster@gmail.com> wrote:
\> My f2fs partition is only 33% full, but I can no longer build on it,
> as I keep getting "device out of space" errors.

Looking through the man pages (and source code) for mkfs.f2fs, I
wonder if I should try (backing up my partition and) reformatting with
a different value for the "overprovision" ratio.  Do you think that
would help?  Is there a way I can determine what value was used the
first time I formatted the partition?

@ 2018-08-30 15:39     ` Chao Yu
From: Chao Yu @ 2018-08-30 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle; +Cc: linux-f2fs-devel

Hi Patrick,

On 2018/8/30 23:30, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 11:22 AM Chao Yu <chao@kernel.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Patrick,
>>
>> Can you try -i option?

Sorry, I mean mkfs.f2fs -i /dev/xxx;

And you can use stat -f /your_mount_option to see whether largest number of
inode support in new image increased.

Inodes: Total: 719360     Free: 719357
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks,

@ 2018-08-30 15:45       ` Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2018-08-30 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chao; +Cc: linux-f2fs-devel

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 11:40 AM Chao Yu <chao@kernel.org> wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
> On 2018/8/30 23:30, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 11:22 AM Chao Yu <chao@kernel.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Patrick,
> >>
> >> Can you try -i option?
>
> Sorry, I mean mkfs.f2fs -i /dev/xxx;
-i isn't an allowable option to mkfs.f2fs:
Usage: mkfs.f2fs [options] device [sectors]
[options]:
  -a heap-based allocation [default:1]
  -d debug level [default:0]
  -e [extension list] e.g. "mp3,gif,mov"
  -l label
  -o overprovision ratio [default:5]
  -O set feature
  -q quiet mode
  -s # of segments per section [default:1]
  -z # of sections per zone [default:1]
  -t 0: nodiscard, 1: discard [default:1]

> And you can use stat -f /your_mount_option to see whether largest number of
> inode support in new image increased.
"stat -f" shows the same information as "df -i".  Both show that I
have 9784317 total inodes, and that isn't enough for the builds I am
performing on this partition.  (The free number has gone up a bit as I
have deleted results from a previous build).

@ 2018-08-30 15:50         ` Chao Yu
From: Chao Yu @ 2018-08-30 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle; +Cc: linux-f2fs-devel

On 2018/8/30 23:45, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 11:40 AM Chao Yu <chao@kernel.org> wrote:
>> Hi Patrick,

>> Sorry, I mean mkfs.f2fs -i /dev/xxx;
> -i isn't an allowable option to mkfs.f2fs:
> Usage: mkfs.f2fs [options] device [sectors]
> [options]:
>   -a heap-based allocation [default:1]
>   -d debug level [default:0]
>   -e [extension list] e.g. "mp3,gif,mov"
>   -l label
>   -o overprovision ratio [default:5]
>   -O set feature
>   -q quiet mode
>   -s # of segments per section [default:1]
>   -z # of sections per zone [default:1]
>   -t 0: nodiscard, 1: discard [default:1]

Can you upgrade your f2fs tools and kernel to make it getting supported?

>> And you can use stat -f /your_mount_option to see whether largest number of
>> inode support in new image increased.
> "stat -f" shows the same information as "df -i".  Both show that I
> have 9784317 total inodes, and that isn't enough for the builds I am

That's correct, they are using the same syscall to get the fs statistic info.

@ 2018-08-30 16:58           ` Jaegeuk Kim
From: Jaegeuk Kim @ 2018-08-30 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chao Yu; +Cc: Patrick Doyle, linux-f2fs-devel

On 08/30, Chao Yu wrote:
> On 2018/8/30 23:45, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 11:40 AM Chao Yu <chao@kernel.org> wrote:
> >> Hi Patrick,

> >> Sorry, I mean mkfs.f2fs -i /dev/xxx;
> > -i isn't an allowable option to mkfs.f2fs:
> > Usage: mkfs.f2fs [options] device [sectors]
> > [options]:
> >   -a heap-based allocation [default:1]
> >   -d debug level [default:0]
> >   -e [extension list] e.g. "mp3,gif,mov"
> >   -l label
> >   -o overprovision ratio [default:5]
> >   -O set feature
> >   -q quiet mode
> >   -s # of segments per section [default:1]
> >   -z # of sections per zone [default:1]
> >   -t 0: nodiscard, 1: discard [default:1]
>
> Can you upgrade your f2fs tools and kernel to make it getting supported?

Patrick,

Please download the latest f2fs-tools from
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jaegeuk/f2fs-tools.git/log/

Chao,

It seems we may need to consider tune.f2fs for this case.
Could you TAL?

Thanks,

@ 2018-08-30 17:07             ` Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2018-08-30 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jaegeuk; +Cc: linux-f2fs-devel

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 12:58 PM Jaegeuk Kim <jaegeuk@kernel.org> wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> Please download the latest f2fs-tools from
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jaegeuk/f2fs-tools.git/log/
>
> Chao,
Jaegeuk,
Thank you very much.  I just cloned that repository and I see that it
includes a "-i" option for "extended node bitmap".
(I have also completed my backup of my f2fs partition and stand ready
to reformat that partition.)

Can you give me a sense of what the "extended node bitmap" will do for
me?  Will that address the lack of inodes?

Also, (although I will answer this by experimentation very shortly),
should I expect this to be compatible with my 4.15 kernel?

Finally, I see that there are mount options for various inline_*
possibilities, should I be turning those options on to address this
issue?

@ 2018-08-30 17:56               ` Jaegeuk Kim
From: Jaegeuk Kim @ 2018-08-30 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle; +Cc: linux-f2fs-devel

Hi,

On 08/30, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 12:58 PM Jaegeuk Kim <jaegeuk@kernel.org> wrote:
> > Patrick,
> >
> > Please download the latest f2fs-tools from
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jaegeuk/f2fs-tools.git/log/
> >
> > Chao,
> Jaegeuk,
> Thank you very much.  I just cloned that repository and I see that it
> includes a "-i" option for "extended node bitmap".
> (I have also completed my backup of my f2fs partition and stand ready
> to reformat that partition.)
>
> Can you give me a sense of what the "extended node bitmap" will do for
> me?  Will that address the lack of inodes?
>
> Also, (although I will answer this by experimentation very shortly),
> should I expect this to be compatible with my 4.15 kernel?
>
> Finally, I see that there are mount options for various inline_*
> possibilities, should I be turning those options on to address this
> issue?

I expect "-i" should give more # of inodes, since without it, F2FS relied on
relatively small (but enough on smaller capacity) checkpoint blocks to provide
them. With the option, it expands checkpoint space to allow more nids which will
be used for inodes and file's index blocks. Let us know, if you are in trouble
with that option.

The mount options would be set by default. If your files are mostly larger than
3.5KB, it'd be better to turn inline_data off. If your directories contain huge
number of childrens, it'd be better to turn inline_dentry off and tune
sys/fs/dir_level.

* Re: Out of inodes on my f2fs partition
@ 2018-08-30 18:06                 ` Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2018-08-30 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jaegeuk; +Cc: linux-f2fs-devel

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 1:56 PM Jaegeuk Kim <jaegeuk@kernel.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I expect "-i" should give more # of inodes, since without it, F2FS relied on
> relatively small (but enough on smaller capacity) checkpoint blocks to provide
> them. With the option, it expands checkpoint space to allow more nids which will
> be used for inodes and file's index blocks. Let us know, if you are in trouble
> with that option.
>
> The mount options would be set by default. If your files are mostly larger than
> 3.5KB, it'd be better to turn inline_data off. If your directories contain huge
> number of childrens, it'd be better to turn inline_dentry off and tune
> sys/fs/dir_level.
OK.  Thanks for the information.  And thank you especially for the
help.  I was dead in the water, and google searches were turning up
nothing useful.  (Plenty of stuff regarding resizing extN file
systems, and lots of stuff regarding the design of f2fs, but not much
on what to do when it breaks.)

I poked around a bit before I deployed this 1TB drive.  It seemed to
me that f2fs is the right approach for file systems on SSDs.  And,
while it is still fairly new, it's not _that_ new.  That's why I was
so baffled when I ran into this problem.  I had no idea if it was an
issue with the new drive, f2fs, or something else going on with my
computer.

Thanks again.

@ 2018-09-05 15:49             ` Chao Yu
From: Chao Yu @ 2018-09-05 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaegeuk Kim; +Cc: Patrick Doyle, linux-f2fs-devel

Jaegeuk,

I missed to reply this thread.

On 2018/8/31 0:58, Jaegeuk Kim wrote:
> Chao,
>
> It seems we may need to consider tune.f2fs for this case.

It may need to expand NAT size, which needs a extra resize operation, or we just
need to consider non-expanding case?

> Could you TAL?
What does TAL mean... I didn't find out the meaning even though via google.

Thanks,

@ 2018-09-05 16:57               ` Jaegeuk Kim
From: Jaegeuk Kim @ 2018-09-05 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chao Yu; +Cc: Patrick Doyle, linux-f2fs-devel

On 09/05, Chao Yu wrote:
> Jaegeuk,
>
> I missed to reply this thread.
>
> On 2018/8/31 0:58, Jaegeuk Kim wrote:
> > Chao,
> >
> > It seems we may need to consider tune.f2fs for this case.
>
> It may need to expand NAT size, which needs a extra resize operation, or we just
> need to consider non-expanding case?

Urg, right, we need resizing partition layout.

> > Could you TAL?
> What does TAL mean... I didn't find out the meaning even though via google.

Take A Look. Sorry. :P