On Apr 13, 2017 14:17, "Paul Moore" wrote: On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 5:08 PM, William Roberts wrote: > On Apr 13, 2017 14:05, "Paul Moore" wrote: >> Unless Steve has exclusive administrative access to people.redhat.com >> (I think it is safe to say he does not, but correct me if I'm wrong >> Steve ) you can't trust an unsigned checksum regardless of how >> strong the https cert/crypto as the web admin could still tamper with >> the data. > > Sure possible, but not super plausible. You're putting some trust in the > administration of that website to begin with. Come one man, you're smarter than this :) I only called out the malicious admin case, but there are other cases where someone with malicious intent could tamper with the checksum. Some quick examples: hacked webserver, MITM https proxy, etc. It's all about trust, I could sign my tarballs and plop the private key somewhere dumb. This is why pki is hard. There's always flaws, I consider https + hash to be like a medium level of trust, and definitely an improvement over nothing. Nothing will beat a signed blob, and we'll assume Steve uses a smart card stored in a vault and only ever used for signing releases with. -- paul moore security @ redhat