* [Xen-devel] I want to participate in Outreachy with CONFIG_PDX related project
@ 2019-09-25  9:27 Kateryna Razumova
From: Kateryna Razumova @ 2019-09-25  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hello xen,
I would like to participate in Outreachy. I was registered on the site few
days ago, filled some quite a big form but still can't see tasks'
descriptions.
Since, I like C programming I would like to know more about "Introduce
CONFIG_PDX and use it in Xen hypervisor". What hardware do I need? I think
I can find an old laptop with virtualization support. Also, how can I start
contributing?
I have few years of C programming experience but never had contributed to
open-source projects before.

* Re: [Xen-devel] I want to participate in Outreachy with CONFIG_PDX related project
@ 2019-10-01 22:37 ` Kateryna Razumova
From: Kateryna Razumova @ 2019-10-01 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, wl

Hello,
I want to make the first contribution for xen. I want to participate with:
Introduce CONFIG_PDX and use it in Xen hypervisor

Where can I start?

@ 2019-10-02 10:33   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2019-10-02 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kateryna Razumova; +Cc: xen-devel, wl

Hi Kateryna

Thanks for your interest in this project.

On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 12:37:30AM +0200, Kateryna Razumova wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to make the first contribution for xen. I want to participate with:
> Introduce CONFIG_PDX and use it in Xen hypervisor
>
> Where can I start?

Please read all reference materials for that project.

You will need to make sure you have the hardware that's capable of
running Xen. If you have read the project description and have more
specific questions, please ask.

> I have few years of C programming experience but never had contributed to
> open-source projects before.
>
> On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 11:27, Kateryna Razumova <katereenart@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello xen,
> > I would like to participate in Outreachy. I was registered on the site
> few days ago, filled some quite a big form but still can't see tasks'
> descriptions.
> > Since, I like C programming I would like to know more about "Introduce
> CONFIG_PDX and use it in Xen hypervisor". What hardware do I need? I think
> I can find an old laptop with virtualization support. Also, how can I start

Yes. Find a laptop with virtualisation support. Install your choice of
virtualisation software, and then install a Xen system from source in it.

For contributing, I suggest you clone xen.git from

   https://xenbits.xen.org/git-http/xen.git

and have a look at xen/ directory, which contains the hypervisor source
code you will work on. Submit a patch or patches. They can be as easy as
fixing typos or as complex as fixing a real bug that you find.

Wei.

@ 2019-10-02 16:19     ` Kateryna Razumova
From: Kateryna Razumova @ 2019-10-02 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

Dear Liu,

oh, I thought that xen participates in Outreachy in order to get new
contributors via easing the entrance process.
But it seems that a potential contributor to xen should already have some
knowledge of xen (for example, how to find a bug, since there are no issues
on github and no visible link to bugzilla). I didn't know that!
I am really sorry for this inconvenience!!!

@ 2019-10-03 14:19       ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2019-10-03 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kateryna Razumova; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu

On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 06:19:44PM +0200, Kateryna Razumova wrote:
> Dear Liu,
>
> oh, I thought that xen participates in Outreachy in order to get new
> contributors via easing the entrance process.
> But it seems that a potential contributor to xen should already have some
> knowledge of xen (for example, how to find a bug, since there are no issues
> on github and no visible link to bugzilla). I didn't know that!
> I am really sorry for this inconvenience!!!

There is no need to be sorry for anything.

To be clear, we don't assume prior knowledge of Xen. We require interns
to get familiarised with the development process by reading relevant
materials.  After reading the materials they should ask specific
questions about the process.

We used to have a centralised place for easy bugs, but I think most
low-hanging fruits are already gone.  That's why I asked potential
interns to submit patches to fix typos in the hypervisor code base --
just open a file that interests you and see if you find any typos in
comments.  Being able to find and fix a real bug would be nice, but
that's not a hard requirement. The key point is to go through the
development process and interact with the community.

Wei.

* Re: [Xen-devel] I want to participate in Outreachy with CONFIG_PDX related project
@ 2019-10-03 21:21 ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2019-10-03 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kateryna Razumova, xen-devel

On 25/09/2019 10:27, Kateryna Razumova wrote:
> Hello xen,
> I would like to participate in Outreachy. I was registered on the site
> few days ago, filled some quite a big form but still can't see tasks'
> descriptions.
> Since, I like C programming I would like to know more about "Introduce
> CONFIG_PDX and use it in Xen hypervisor". What hardware do I need? I
> think I can find an old laptop with virtualization support. Also, how
> can I start contributing?
> I have few years of C programming experience but never had contributed
> to open-source projects before.

Apologies I haven't got this sorted sooner, but
https://andrewcoop-xen.readthedocs.io/en/docs-devel/misc/tech-debt.html#config-pdx
is a brief introduction to the problem and intended outcome.

I hope the description is clear enough to follow.

~Andrew

* Re: [Xen-devel] I want to participate in Outreachy with CONFIG_PDX related project
@ 2019-10-04 18:45         ` Kateryna Razumova
From: Kateryna Razumova @ 2019-10-04 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, xen-devel

Thank you Wei,

I just didn't realize that. I thought that an applicant should know what
bugs already existed and tried to fix them. I was trying to find some
on the github page but haven't succeeded.
But now I can try to do my best. At least, I will try to help with typo
extermination.