From: Rich Rauenzahn <rrauenza@gmail.com>
To: Btrfs BTRFS <linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Western Digital Red's SMR and btrfs?
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 22:24:57 -0700	[thread overview]

Has there been any btrfs discussion off the list (I haven't seen any
SMR/shingled mails in the archive since 2016 or so) regarding the news
that WD's Red drives are actually SMR?

I'm using these reds in my btrfs setup (which is 2-3 drives in RAID1
configuration, not parity based RAIDs.)   I had noticed that adding a
new drive took a long time, but other than than, I haven't had any
issues that I know of.  They've lasted quite a long time, although I
think my NAS would be considered more of a cold storage/archival.
Photos and Videos.

Is btrfs raid1 going to be the sweet spot on these drives?

If I start swapping these out -- is there a recommended low power
drive?  I'd buy the red pro's, but they spin faster and produce more
heat and noise.

Rich