* Eudyptula challenge
@ 2015-03-24  0:05       ` sahil aggarwal
From: sahil aggarwal @ 2015-03-24  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 10:55:34AM -0500, Jonathan Jin wrote:

> Doesn't matter; those are the rules of the Challenge, for better or
> worse. It seems as though any mention of Challenge specifics is enough
> to get participants removed, period.

  I started again from first challenge.

> It's much better to find the "root" of the problem that you are trying
> to solve -- that is, the parts of the problem that, in this case, have
> nothing directly to do with the Eudyptula Challenge itself -- and ask
> about that, rather than ask about the logistical specifics of the
> Challenge like you did.

  Yeah that makes sense actually. Thank you Jonathan.

* Eudyptula challenge
@ 2015-03-25 13:22 sahil aggarwal
From: sahil aggarwal @ 2015-03-25 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi all,

I am on task5, little says to read ch 14 (device model) of LDD3 but ch
13 (USB driver) seems to be the one i should read. I have already been
following this book and reached ch5, would it be ok to jump to ch
13/14 directly.?

Moreover reading /Documentation/usb/hotplug.txt seems to help me
solving the challenge. So should i read ch 13/14 of continue reading
in order.?

Thanks
Regards

* Eudyptula challenge
@ 2015-03-25 13:55 ` Giedrius Statkevičius
From: Giedrius Statkevičius @ 2015-03-25 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 2015.03.25 15:22, sahil aggarwal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am on task5, little says to read ch 14 (device model) of LDD3 but ch
> 13 (USB driver) seems to be the one i should read. I have already been
> following this book and reached ch5, would it be ok to jump to ch
> 13/14 directly.?
>
> Moreover reading /Documentation/usb/hotplug.txt seems to help me
> solving the challenge. So should i read ch 13/14 of continue reading
> in order.?

Don't ask for help with eudyptula challenge on mailing lists. You may be
removed from the challenge.

--
With regards / Su pagarba,
Giedrius

* Eudyptula challenge
@ 2015-03-25 13:57   ` sahil aggarwal
From: sahil aggarwal @ 2015-03-25 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Got removed :( i wasn't asking for implementation help :(

On 25 March 2015 at 19:25, Giedrius Statkevi?ius
<giedrius.statkevicius@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2015.03.25 15:22, sahil aggarwal wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am on task5, little says to read ch 14 (device model) of LDD3 but ch
>> 13 (USB driver) seems to be the one i should read. I have already been
>> following this book and reached ch5, would it be ok to jump to ch
>> 13/14 directly.?
>>
>> Moreover reading /Documentation/usb/hotplug.txt seems to help me
>> solving the challenge. So should i read ch 13/14 of continue reading
>> in order.?
>
> Don't ask for help with eudyptula challenge on mailing lists. You may be
> removed from the challenge.
>
> --
> With regards / Su pagarba,
> Giedrius

* Eudyptula challenge
@ 2015-03-25 15:55     ` Jonathan Jin
From: Jonathan Jin @ 2015-03-25 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

sahil aggarwal writes:

> Got removed :( i wasn't asking for implementation help :(

Doesn't matter; those are the rules of the Challenge, for better or
worse. It seems as though any mention of Challenge specifics is enough
to get participants removed, period.

It's much better to find the "root" of the problem that you are trying
to solve -- that is, the parts of the problem that, in this case, have
nothing directly to do with the Eudyptula Challenge itself -- and ask
about that, rather than ask about the logistical specifics of the
Challenge like you did.

Best of luck.

--
Jonathan Jin
http://jjin.me

* Re: Eudyptula Challenge.
@ 2021-08-20 10:43 ` Thomas Bracht Laumann Jespersen
From: Thomas Bracht Laumann Jespersen @ 2021-08-20 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David K; +Cc: kernelnewbies

> It is my plan to share some, if not all, of my material from Eudyptula
> challenge here mostly with the intent of getting critique.
>
> This should not be against any Eudyptula challenge rules as a lot of people
> have already shared their solutions to the challenge on Github and probably

Isn't it against the rules? Either way, it's your call :-) and little also
provides feedback on submitted solutions.

> It is my hope that this is not against any list rules. This looks like the
> case to me and would it happen that this is not the case, any heads up would
> be much appreciated.

Which task are you on? And are you on IRC? We can chat on #eudyptula on
libera.chat if you like.

-- Thomas

* Eudyptula Challenge.
@ 2021-08-20  9:56 David K
From: David K @ 2021-08-20  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello,

It is my plan to share some, if not all, of my material from Eudyptula
challenge here mostly with the intent of getting critique.

This should not be against any Eudyptula challenge rules as a lot of
people have already shared their solutions to the challenge on Github
and probably other places. Since email is the accepted way of
contributing to Linux kernel development and a lot of other open source
projects, this is my preferred way of sharing my solutions and possibly
getting critique.

It is my hope that this is not against any list rules. This looks like
the case to me and would it happen that this is not the case, any heads
up would be much appreciated.

Regards,

David.

* Eudyptula Challenge
@ 2014-07-12  7:04   ` karthik nayak
From: karthik nayak @ 2014-07-12  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Got mine a few days back. Patience

On Sat 12 Jul 2014 12:23:12 AM IST, Jake Mitchell wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2014, Narendra Joshi wrote:
>
>> I am waiting for the results of my task03 submission for almost a week now.
>> Has anyone been getting replies meanwhile?
>> --
>> Narendra Joshi
>>

> Not lately. I've been waiting for a response to my task03 submission for
> 11 days. Hang in there.
>
> -Jake

* Eudyptula Challenge
@ 2014-07-11 23:33 ` Arlie Stephens
From: Arlie Stephens @ 2014-07-11 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Jun 25 2014, Javier wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Is it convenient to work on our main kernel on this projects?
> Or, would  you suggest using a different partition kernel to practice this?
>
> I am afraid of messing up my work computer.
> Thank you.

Personally, I'd consider using a virtual machine for testing rather
than having the same machine sometimes be a kernel-test system and
sometimes be my work environment.

With the right virtual environment, you'll even get good support for
debugging a flaky guest. But even without that, you're still ahead if
you can keep your main/development/compile box up while testing.

Arlie

(Arlie Stephens					arlie at worldash.org)

* Eudyptula Challenge
@ 2014-07-11 18:53 ` Jake Mitchell
From: Jake Mitchell @ 2014-07-11 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2014-07-11 10:08 Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2014-07-11 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2014-07-03  4:37 ` Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2014-07-03  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 9:16 AM, me storage <me.storage126@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi i have checked all the documentation for the task 4. I gone through all
> chapters. Before submitting the challenge, i checked my files with '
> checkpatch.pl ' but it doesn't shows any errors. Even though not getting any
> errors the challenge is not being completed. So can anyone guide me if any
> other documents are there to be refer by me.
>
>                                           Thank you

little will usually write in the return mail about the problem your
code has and his reply will also contain some hint .

* Eudyptula Challenge
@ 2014-07-03  3:46 me storage
From: me storage @ 2014-07-03  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi i have checked all the documentation for the task 4. I gone through all
chapters. Before submitting the challenge, i checked my files with '
checkpatch.pl ' but it doesn't shows any errors. Even though not getting
any errors the challenge is not being completed. So can anyone guide me if
any other documents are there to be refer by me.

                                          Thank you
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Eudyptula Challenge
@ 2014-06-28  2:46 ` wei zhang
From: wei zhang @ 2014-06-28  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

?2014?06?27? 12:26?Narendra Joshi??? >I am taking the Eudyptula Challenge. I submitted the solution for Task 01. What should I do as I wait for the next task to arrive in my inbox? Is there any book or website or any resource that you would recommend? I recommand LKD3, it's more update and help me a lot. >Thanks! >Narendra Joshi _______________________________________________ Kernelnewbies mailing list Kernelnewbies at kernelnewbies.org http://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

@ 2014-06-27  4:57 ` Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2014-06-27  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Narendra Joshi
<quote.narendra@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am taking the Eudyptula Challenge. I submitted the solution for Task
> 01. What should I do as I wait for the next task to arrive in my
> inbox? Is there any book or website or any resource that you would
> recommend?
>
> Thanks!
> Narendra Joshi

Wait for the result of the task .. if what if you have done is
accepted then you will get the next task on your mail.

* Eudyptula Challenge
@ 2014-06-27  4:43 ` Kristofer Hallin
From: Kristofer Hallin @ 2014-06-27  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I would  recommend you to read the book Linux Device Drivers, 3rd edition.
It's licensed under a creative commons licence (thanks Greg!).

More than that, you have some documentation in the  Documentation/ folder.
Reading the archive for this mailing list might be useful too.

Good luck!
On 27 Jun 2014 06:27, "Narendra Joshi" <quote.narendra@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am taking the Eudyptula Challenge. I submitted the solution for Task
> 01. What should I do as I wait for the next task to arrive in my
> inbox? Is there any book or website or any resource that you would
> recommend?
>
> Thanks!
> Narendra Joshi

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Eudyptula Challenge
@ 2014-06-27  4:26 Narendra Joshi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2014-06-27  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2014-06-25 20:42     ` Kristofer Hallin
From: Kristofer Hallin @ 2014-06-25 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Good. Build yourself another kernel for development and stick with the
working one for work then.

@ 2014-06-25 20:40   ` Javier
From: Javier @ 2014-06-25 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2014-06-25 20:37 ` Kristofer Hallin
From: Kristofer Hallin @ 2014-06-25 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2014-06-25 20:31 Javier
From: Javier @ 2014-06-25 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2014-05-23 19:52 ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2014-05-23 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 9:43 AM, Greg Donald <gdonald@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know what's happening with the Eudyptula Challenge?  I sent in
> my Task 03 solution a few days ago and have got no response.  I resent
> it, and still nothing.
>
> Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to ask about it.
>

> Thanks.
>

> --
> Greg Donald

Greg,

During the dead time, you might want to spend some time with the
kernelnewbies archives.  One source is:

https://www.mail-archive.com/kernelnewbies at kernelnewbies.org/

If you search for "Eudyptula task 03" you will find lots of hits.

If you scroll down that list you will find this message:

https://www.mail-archive.com/kernelnewbies at kernelnewbies.org/msg10245.html

Basically as of a week ago it was taking about a week to get task 3
feedback.  I'm assuming a human is in the loop so it takes some time.

Greg

* Eudyptula Challenge
@ 2014-05-23 19:26   ` Greg Donald
From: Greg Donald @ 2014-05-23 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM, Yann Droneaud <ydroneaud@opteya.com> wrote:
> Sometimes it takes weeks, months, before someone pick up your patch on
> LKML. So please wait.

I know, I saw a patch from two years ago get picked up just yesterday.

> In the mean time, check that you use git format-patch and that git
> send-email, *especially* git send-email, is able to send an email
> with the proper format (check From:, To:, Subject: etc.).

Yup, I did all that.. used mutt, my response was Signed-off,
everything.  But at the same time I was wondering if I did the
Subject: correctly since I was trying to make a valid [PATCH] subject
line while also including my Eudyptula id too.

> And you could have a look to http://lwn.net/Articles/599231/ "Taking
> the Eudyptula Challenge" for entertainment (wait, what, you're not yet
> a LWN.net subscriber ?).

I am a LWN subscriber actually.. but I'm sure that has nothing to do
with my brain's lack of delayed gratification software :)

--
Greg Donald

* Eudyptula Challenge
@ 2014-05-23 13:57 ` Yann Droneaud
From: Yann Droneaud @ 2014-05-23 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

Le vendredi 23 mai 2014 ? 08:43 -0500, Greg Donald a ?crit :
> Anyone know what's happening with the Eudyptula Challenge?  I sent in
> my Task 03 solution a few days ago and have got no response.  I resent
> it, and still nothing.
>
> Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to ask about it.

Sometimes it takes weeks, months, before someone pick up your patch on
LKML. So please wait.

In the mean time, check that you use git format-patch and that git
send-email, *especially* git send-email, is able to send an email
with the proper format (check From:, To:, Subject: etc.).

And you could have a look to http://lwn.net/Articles/599231/ "Taking
the Eudyptula Challenge" for entertainment (wait, what, you're not yet
a LWN.net subscriber ?).

PS: you're not the only one waiting for an answer, check the list
archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.kernelnewbies

Regards.

--
Yann Droneaud
OPTEYA

* Eudyptula Challenge
@ 2014-05-23 13:52 ` Julio Faracco
From: Julio Faracco @ 2014-05-23 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Greg.

Maybe the system is overloaded again. =/
The last task I sent was answered in five days. Don't worry and wait.

Is there anyone who is facing the same thing?

Thanks.

--
Julio Cesar Faracco
University of S?o Paulo - Brazil

* Eudyptula Challenge
@ 2014-05-23 13:43 Greg Donald
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Greg Donald @ 2014-05-23 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2014-05-05 12:50   ` Rahul Bedarkar
From: Rahul Bedarkar @ 2014-05-05 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Mandeep Sandhu
<mandeepsandhu.chd@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 to this question.
>
> I too started off early, but now I'm busy with my current work and
> paused on the assignments.
>
> -mandeep
>
> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM, Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Will the Eudyptula Challenge be always around? I want to do the challenge
>> problems but I am busy these days. So I want to start doing them some time
>> later. Will I be able to?

This is what it says in first mail.

"Fourthly, this challenge is meant to be done over a period of time.
Don't rush things, there's no hurry, I'm not going anywhere, and neither
are you.  So sit back, take your time, and enjoy the process.  Life is
about the journey, not the end result, as that's the same for everyone."

So I think it will there.

Rahul

>> --
>> narendra

* Eudyptula Challenge
@ 2014-05-05 12:28 ` Mandeep Sandhu
From: Mandeep Sandhu @ 2014-05-05 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

+1 to this question.

I too started off early, but now I'm busy with my current work and
paused on the assignments.

-mandeep

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM, Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will the Eudyptula Challenge be always around? I want to do the challenge
> problems but I am busy these days. So I want to start doing them some time
> later. Will I be able to?
>
> --
> narendra

* Eudyptula Challenge