From: Yehuda Katz <yehuda@ymkatz.net>
To: git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Change in behavior of included safe.directory in system config
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 01:19:12 -0400	[thread overview]

There seems to be some change in behavior, either to included files or
to safe.directory between Git 2.36.0 and 2.38.0. I don't see any
explanation in the release notes.
I push out a system configuration with a configuration management tool
which is why it is in a separate file.
If I put the safe.directory configuration in the main system config,
it works. I don't understand why this is because the value is still
shown when running a config list.

Basic config:
[root@myhost myproject]# pwd
/opt/myproject
[root@myhost myproject]# cat /etc/gitconfig
[include]
        path = /etc/gitconfig.d/myproject
[root@myhost myproject]# cat /etc/gitconfig.d/myproject
[safe]
        directory = /opt/myproject

With the old version:
[root@myhost myproject]# git --version
git version 2.36.0
[root@myhost myproject]# git config --list --show-scope
system  include.path=/etc/gitconfig.d/myproject
system  safe.directory=/opt/myproject
local   core.repositoryformatversion=0
local   core.filemode=true
local   core.bare=false
local   core.logallrefupdates=true
local   remote.origin.url=git@gitlab.example.com:me/myproject.git
local   remote.origin.fetch=+refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
local   branch.master.remote=origin
local   branch.master.merge=refs/heads/master
[root@myhost myproject]# git pull
Already up to date.
[root@myhost myproject]#

After the upgrade:
[root@myhost myproject]# git --version
git version 2.38.0
[root@myhost myproject]# git config --list --show-scope
system  include.path=/etc/gitconfig.d/puppet
system  safe.directory=/opt/myproject
[root@myhost myproject]# git pull
fatal: detected dubious ownership in repository at '/opt/myproject'
To add an exception for this directory, call:

        git config --global --add safe.directory /opt/myproject
[root@myhost myproject]#