* Introducing libi2cd
@ 2021-09-20 19:19 Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2021-09-20 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-i2c

All,

Over the years, I've had the (mis)fortune of needing to write various
I2C userspace drivers. I've long enjoyed working with the i2c-dev uAPI,
but it does lead to a bit of repetitive code between projects and
testing system calls is cumbersome at best. I had some extra time this
summer to put together a small library in a similar vein to libgpiod to
help with these issues.

I was curious if there was any appetite for having these sources hosted
on kernel.org to reach a wider audience? I'd appreciate any feedback the
list may have!

If you're still interested, here is the introductory bit from the
README:

libi2cd provides a simple and straightforward API for accessing I2C
devices from userspace. It relies on the i2c-dev Linux kernel module and
is intended to complement existing tools and libraries, such as those
provided by i2c-tools. The design for libi2cd was inspired by libgpiod;
it provides both high- and low-level access to the underlying ioctl
requests and has no dependencies apart from the standard C library.

The project is licensed under the LGPL-2.1 and can be found on GitHub:
  https://github.com/sstallion/libi2cd

API documentation can also be found on GitHub Pages:
  https://sstallion.github.io/libi2cd/

Cheers,
Steve

* Re: Introducing libi2cd
@ 2021-09-21  7:07 ` Wolfram Sang
From: Wolfram Sang @ 2021-09-21  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Stallion, Jean Delvare; +Cc: linux-i2c

Hi Steven,

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 02:19:17PM -0500, Steven Stallion wrote:
> All,
>
> Over the years, I've had the (mis)fortune of needing to write various
> I2C userspace drivers. I've long enjoyed working with the i2c-dev uAPI,
> but it does lead to a bit of repetitive code between projects and
> testing system calls is cumbersome at best. I had some extra time this
> summer to put together a small library in a similar vein to libgpiod to
> help with these issues.
>
> I was curious if there was any appetite for having these sources hosted
> on kernel.org to reach a wider audience? I'd appreciate any feedback the
> list may have!
>
> If you're still interested, here is the introductory bit from the
> README:
>
> libi2cd provides a simple and straightforward API for accessing I2C
> devices from userspace. It relies on the i2c-dev Linux kernel module and
> is intended to complement existing tools and libraries, such as those
> provided by i2c-tools. The design for libi2cd was inspired by libgpiod;
> it provides both high- and low-level access to the underlying ioctl
> requests and has no dependencies apart from the standard C library.
>
> The project is licensed under the LGPL-2.1 and can be found on GitHub:
>   https://github.com/sstallion/libi2cd
>
> API documentation can also be found on GitHub Pages:
>   https://sstallion.github.io/libi2cd/

Thank you for this work and the heads up. I'll CC Jean Delvare who
implemented the library in i2c-tools to raise his attention.

Happy hacking,

   Wolfram

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Introducing libi2cd
@ 2021-09-21 20:26   ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2021-09-21 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfram Sang, Steven Stallion, Jean Delvare, linux-i2c

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 2:07 AM Wolfram Sang <wsa@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> Thank you for this work and the heads up. I'll CC Jean Delvare who
> implemented the library in i2c-tools to raise his attention.

Thanks Wolfram! Hopefully others will find it useful too.

Cheers,
Steve