From: Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
To: Taylor Blau <me@ttaylorr.com>
Cc: Git List <git@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: The meaning of the '+' before the submodule hash.
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 22:36:55 +0800	[thread overview]

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 10:25 PM Taylor Blau <me@ttaylorr.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 10:19:25PM +0800, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> > What's the meaning of the '+' sign at the beginning? Why do some
> > submodules have this symbol, but some submodules don't?
>
> There are three symbols, 'U', '-', and '+'. From the documentation [1],
> they mean:
>
>     Each SHA-1 will possibly be prefixed with `-` if the submodule is not
>     initialized, `+` if the currently checked out submodule commit does not
>     match the SHA-1 found in the index of the containing repository and `U`
>     if the submodule has merge conflicts.
>
> [1]: https://git-scm.com/docs/git-submodule#Documentation/git-submodule.txt-status--cached--recursive--ltpathgt82308203

Thank you very much for pointing out this document information to me.
The above submodules status for my case were achieved by the following
command:

$ git submodule update --init --recursive --remote

As you can see, this will cause the status denoted by '+', i.e., the
currently checked out submodule commit does not match the SHA-1 found
in the index of the containing repository. I'm not sure if this is
harmful.

HY

> Thanks,
> Taylor

Theory and Simulation of Materials
Hebei Polytechnic University of Science and Technology engineering
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China