From: Rhys Perry <rhysperry111@gmail.com>
To: "Barnabás Pőcze" <pobrn@protonmail.com>
Cc: Platform Driver <platform-driver-x86@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [hp_wmi] Recieving same keycode from two keys
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 13:35:29 +0000	[thread overview]

> (please use reply-all so that the mailing list gets the emails as well)

Oh, my mistake. I didn't actually know the difference between the two.
Sorry for any confusion this might cause in the future.

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Could you test other function keys like volume up/down, etc.?
> > >
> > After running some tests with evtest I have found out:
> > - Brightness keys: "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" (although same keycode)
> > - Volume keys: "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
> > - Media keys: "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
> > - RFKILL key: (none, although there is a device called "HP Wireless hotkeys")
>
> Please install the `evemu` program suite, and run `evemu-record /dev/input/event...`
> for the AT keyboard, HP WMI hotkeys, and HP Wireless hotkeys; in each run press the
> brightness up/down, volume up/down keys in any fixed order you like, and then send
> the output of each run (including the part that is initially printed before
> receiving any events). Could you also run `acpi_listen` at the same time and
> see if any key presses are registered there? If yes, what was the output?

Ok, here you go:
"AT Translated Set 2 Keyboard": https://0x0.st/idpK.txt
"HP Wireless hotkeys": https://0x0.st/idpP.txt
"HP WMI hotkeys": https://0x0.st/idpN.txt
`acpi_listen`: https://0x0.st/idpb.txt

> Just to summarize (please correct me if I'm wrong):
> - brightness up/down keys
>   * send the same scan code via the keyboard; and
>   * do not trigger any ACPI events

Yep, that is what I get

> - volume up/down, and media keys send unique key codes via the keyboard and they work (?)

Yes, they work as intended

> - the rfkill hotkey does not appear to generate any events whatsoever (?)
> - the "HP WMI hotkeys" and "HP Wireless hotkeys" input devices don't register
>   any events

Yes, that is the case

> By the way, I suppose that screen brightness control with hotkeys does not work,
> correct?

Yes

> > I wonder what the point of the HP WMI or Wireless devices are if they
> > are not receiving any events.
>
> I can only assume that they do work in some circumstances/with older models/etc.
>

> [...]

Thanks for all the help,
Rhys Perry