* Re: [Feature discussion] Allow overriding of network-specific options globally
@ 2022-01-15 16:24 Rhys Perry
From: Rhys Perry @ 2022-01-15 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 at 18:55, Denis Kenzior <denkenz(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am proposing the ability to override network specific options (ones
> > documented in `iwd.network`) globally. This would be implemented by
>
> I suspect only a subset of these options would make sense to be global.  DNS
> would be one of them.

Yeah, that's fair. I kinda thought that'd be the case, but wasn't sure
what the people over here's thoughts would be

> I'm not sure that adding yet another config file is worthwhile.  We already have
> some network configuration related options in main.conf.  MulticastDNS for
> example.  So I'd start by adding global DNS preference settings there first.

Right- My programming skills aren't the best, but I'll give it a go
:). Where do you think the DNS option should go in the main config
file? Something like `DNSv4` and `DNSv6` in the `Network` section, or
should the `IPv4` and `IPv6` sections be added, each with their own
respective `DNS` entries?

Also, apologies to Denis for accidentally doing a reply instead of a
reply-all initially, I don't participate in mailing lists that often.

Rhys

* Re: [Feature discussion] Allow overriding of network-specific options globally
@ 2022-01-18 15:07 Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2022-01-18 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

Hi Rhys,

> Right- My programming skills aren't the best, but I'll give it a go
> :). Where do you think the DNS option should go in the main config
> file? Something like `DNSv4` and `DNSv6` in the `Network` section, or
> should the `IPv4` and `IPv6` sections be added, each with their own
> respective `DNS` entries?

I would just mirror the way the network profiles do this.  So exact same
structure as in src/iwd.network.rst.

> Also, apologies to Denis for accidentally doing a reply instead of a
> reply-all initially, I don't participate in mailing lists that often.

No worries.

Regards,
-Denis

* Re: [Feature discussion] Allow overriding of network-specific options globally
@ 2022-01-14 18:55 Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2022-01-14 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

Hi Rhys,

On 1/14/22 04:14, Rhys Perry wrote:
> `Hi,
>
> I use IWD as the network manager on my laptop, also utilising it's
> inbuilt DHCP client. One of the things that gets on my nerves about
> this is that there is no way to override the DNS server globally, only
> per-network. This becomes rather annoying on a device like a laptop,
> where I am regularly connecting to new networks.

Sure, I can see how this would be useful.

@ 2022-01-14 10:14 Rhys Perry
From: Rhys Perry @ 2022-01-14 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd