From: Stefan Beller <sbeller@google.com>
To: Valery Tolstov <me@vtolstov.org>
Cc: sven@cs-ware.de, "git@vger.kernel.org" <git@vger.kernel.org>,
	Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: git init --separate-git-dir does not update symbolic .git links for submodules
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 08:40:46 -0800	[thread overview]

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 6:15 AM, Valery Tolstov <me@vtolstov.org> wrote:
> Looking for microproject ideas for GSoC.
> Would this issue be suitable as the microproject?

It would be a good project, but not as 'micro' I would assume. ;)
Why it is not a micro project:

To fix this issue we'd want to fix the .git link files recursively, i.e.
nested submodules would also need fixing. And to recurse into
submodules we normally spawn a child process.

So maybe the plan is as follow:
1) Add the functionality to builtin/submodule--helper.c
    it fixes just one submodule, given by name.
2) add an externally visible command in the same file
  See e.g. module_name (the function and the table
  at the very end of the file)
  (1) needs to call this command (see clone_submodule() in
    that file how to call further commands)

2) "git init --separate-git-dir ../test" would call the function
  in (1), which then recursively uses (2) to call (1) in nested
  submodules.

After thinking about it, it may be good for a micro project,
as it is smaller than originally assumed.
Specifically if you plan to look into submodules later on.

Thanks,
Stefan