* [Buildroot] Makefile.mk to compile using openmpi
@ 2018-05-19 16:44 Marco Espinoza
From: Marco Espinoza @ 2018-05-19 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello

I'm using buildroot to generate an image for a zedboard. And I'm trying to
add an application which require openmpi compilation.
However I'm having issues, because my compilation is failing.
The issue I'm having is because my program requires mpicc compilation, but,
despite I have installed openmpi in my buildroot image, the
cross-compilation is not working.

Would you please help me telling what do I need in my *.mk file, to
cross-compile properly using buildroot  a program which requires mpicc?

Thanks
Marco Espinoza
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Makefile.mk to compile using openmpi
@ 2018-05-23 22:40 ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2018-05-23 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 19-05-18 18:44, Marco Espinoza wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm using buildroot to generate an image for a zedboard. And I'm trying to
> add an application which require openmpi compilation.
> However I'm having issues, because my compilation is failing.
> The issue I'm having is because my program requires mpicc compilation, but,
> despite I have installed openmpi in my buildroot image, the
> cross-compilation is not working.
>
> Would you please help me telling what do I need in my *.mk file, to
> cross-compile properly using buildroot  a program which requires mpicc?

 I guess you need to have an mpicc built for the host, and it looks like the
openmpi build system is not really cross-compile friendly. The easiest approach
is to make a host-openmpi package. But some additional work will be needed, to
make sure the opal_wrapper calls the target toolchain with the appropriate
CFLAGS instead of the host toolchain...

 Regards,
 Arnout

@ 2018-05-31  4:02   ` Marco Espinoza
From: Marco Espinoza @ 2018-05-31  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello

Thanks for your response.
I understand we need to add the proper CFLAGS for MPI, but I was anot able
to do the cross-compilation using CFLAGS.
Do you have a Makefile example with the proper CFLAGS to cross-compile MPI?

Thanks
Marco

@ 2018-05-31  6:23     ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2018-05-31  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 31-05-18 06:02, Marco Espinoza wrote:
> Hello
>
> Thanks for your response.
> I understand we need to add the proper CFLAGS for MPI, but I was anot able to do
> the cross-compilation using CFLAGS.
> Do you have a Makefile example with the proper CFLAGS to cross-compile MPI?

 I don't entirely understand your question.

 The openmpi packages already does cross-compilation with the proper CFLAGS.
However, it also cross-compiles mpicc, so you can't execute it during the build.

 So to get mpicc, you have to build openmpi for the host as well. This could be
as simple as adding $(eval $(host-autotools-package)) at the end of openmpi.mk.
But most likely you'll need to add some options to HOST_OPENMPI_CONF_OPTS as well.

 Regards,
 Arnout