From: Christos Pappas <chrispappas99@gmail.com>
To: Martin Fick <mfick@codeaurora.org>
Cc: git@vger.kernel.org, annulen@yandex.ru
Subject: Re: [Feature request] Give non-unique names to commits for grouping
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 22:47:56 +0200	[thread overview]

> By "different", do you mean the mechanism, or the content of the "hashtag"
> itself? I would imagine that you would expect the hashtags to be different,
> and that you are concerned that they might be stored differently on each
> site, maybe on one site as a note like
>
>  hashtag: awesome
>
> and on another:
>
>  label: awesome
>
> Is that correct?
>
> If so, then it seems like a reasonable suggestion that some tooling be built
> to potentially enforce something like that using git notes and/or commit
> messages?

Yes, I think that every project would end up having a different convention.

> Right, maybe git notes is just the storage mechanism for such a feature?

Maybe some code could be shared behind the scenes(I don't know the
code architecture), but the interface should be different.

I would expect a commit log to look like this:

commit {commit_hash} (HEAD -> master, tag: maybe_a_tag_here, labels:
bug_fix front_end, origin/master, origin/HEAD)
Author: ...
Date: ...

Commit Message

This also requires at least one command to create a label (git label
create {name}), and a different command to assign one of the available
labels (git label assign {label} {commit}), to avoid mistakes (The
levenshtein algorithm could also be used when the user makes a typo
and tries to assign a label that doesn't exist)

Στις Τετ, 11 Μαρ 2020 στις 9:31 μ.μ., ο/η Martin Fick
<mfick@codeaurora.org> έγραψε: