* AMD E8860 on PowerPC with u-boot (T2080)
@ 2018-02-21  8:49 Bas Vermeulen
       [not found] ` <CAGtoiRjxS7mgQKG_yib9-5tVkD9_yAkp3P8PxYvipy3bFnV9Rg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Bas Vermeulen @ 2018-02-21  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

I am unsure if this is the right place to ask, but it seems relevant.

I am trying to use an AMD E8860 (SI) board connected to an E6500 PowerPC
board (T2080RDB from NXP).
The T2080RDB does not use a BIOS, and uses u-boot to bootstrap Linux.

I have the E8860 connected to a PCIe x4 slot with an adapter. The kernel is
a 4.1, with DRM included in the kernel and the radeon as a module. The
radeon driver detects the card, notices the BIOS hasn't posted and starts
things up.
After that, the ring tests get run, and fails on the ring 0 test, disabling
acceleration. The graphics card is (or seems to be) working apart from
that, the driver starts up and sees the connectors on the board.

When I compare dmesg on an x86 machine and the PPC machine, I see that the
x86 machine loads a lot more firmware from the kernel (probably the
acceleration parts?).

My question is, what do I need to do to correctly initialize the E8860
board on my powerpc machine?
Is there some documentation you can point me to, or someone to ask?

Bas Vermeulen

* Re: AMD E8860 on PowerPC with u-boot (T2080)
       [not found] ` <CAGtoiRjxS7mgQKG_yib9-5tVkD9_yAkp3P8PxYvipy3bFnV9Rg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-02-21  9:06   ` Michel Dänzer
       [not found]     ` <62565c2f-a57f-9a2b-8277-ca94937bbe0f-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Michel Dänzer @ 2018-02-21  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bas Vermeulen; +Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 2018-02-21 09:49 AM, Bas Vermeulen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am unsure if this is the right place to ask, but it seems relevant.
>
> I am trying to use an AMD E8860 (SI) board connected to an E6500 PowerPC
> board (T2080RDB from NXP).
> The T2080RDB does not use a BIOS, and uses u-boot to bootstrap Linux.
>
> I have the E8860 connected to a PCIe x4 slot with an adapter. The kernel
> is a 4.1, with DRM included in the kernel and the radeon as a module.
> The radeon driver detects the card, notices the BIOS hasn't posted and
> starts things up.
> After that, the ring tests get run, and fails on the ring 0 test,
> disabling acceleration. The graphics card is (or seems to be) working
> apart from that, the driver starts up and sees the connectors on the board.
>
> When I compare dmesg on an x86 machine and the PPC machine, I see that
> the x86 machine loads a lot more firmware from the kernel (probably the
> acceleration parts?).

FWIW, that's probably just a subsequent symptom due to the ring test
failure.

> My question is, what do I need to do to correctly initialize the E8860
> board on my powerpc machine?

Start by sharing the dmesg output, and maybe also the kernel build
configuration file.

@ 2018-02-21  9:14       ` Christian König
       [not found]         ` <bca60368-969e-ff29-1342-432a48c23ffb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Christian König @ 2018-02-21  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michel Dänzer, Bas Vermeulen
  Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Am 21.02.2018 um 10:06 schrieb Michel Dänzer:
> On 2018-02-21 09:49 AM, Bas Vermeulen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am unsure if this is the right place to ask, but it seems relevant.

Well this list is certainly the right place to ask :)

>> I am trying to use an AMD E8860 (SI) board connected to an E6500 PowerPC
>> board (T2080RDB from NXP).
>> The T2080RDB does not use a BIOS, and uses u-boot to bootstrap Linux.
>>
>> I have the E8860 connected to a PCIe x4 slot with an adapter. The kernel
>> is a 4.1, with DRM included in the kernel and the radeon as a module.
>> The radeon driver detects the card, notices the BIOS hasn't posted and
>> starts things up.
>> After that, the ring tests get run, and fails on the ring 0 test,
>> disabling acceleration. The graphics card is (or seems to be) working
>> apart from that, the driver starts up and sees the connectors on the board.
>>
>> When I compare dmesg on an x86 machine and the PPC machine, I see that
>> the x86 machine loads a lot more firmware from the kernel (probably the
>> acceleration parts?).
> FWIW, that's probably just a subsequent symptom due to the ring test
> failure.

Could be, but IIRC we load all the firmware first then initialize things
and then do the ring tests when we try to start the rings.

BTW: What driver are you using? radeon or amdgpu?

>> My question is, what do I need to do to correctly initialize the E8860
>> board on my powerpc machine?
> Start by sharing the dmesg output, and maybe also the kernel build
> configuration file.

Maybe also open a bug report to attach the dmesg, see bugs.freedesktop.org.

Regards,
Christian.

@ 2018-02-21  9:18       ` Bas Vermeulen
       [not found]         ` <CAGtoiRjqaseQSw7utV5Ncru1ggrq+p2OAg7weULzzSt0DWNoaA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Bas Vermeulen @ 2018-02-21  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michel Dänzer; +Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:06 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 2018-02-21 09:49 AM, Bas Vermeulen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am unsure if this is the right place to ask, but it seems relevant.
> >
> > I am trying to use an AMD E8860 (SI) board connected to an E6500 PowerPC
> > board (T2080RDB from NXP).
> > The T2080RDB does not use a BIOS, and uses u-boot to bootstrap Linux.
> >
> > I have the E8860 connected to a PCIe x4 slot with an adapter. The kernel
> > is a 4.1, with DRM included in the kernel and the radeon as a module.
> > The radeon driver detects the card, notices the BIOS hasn't posted and
> > starts things up.
> > After that, the ring tests get run, and fails on the ring 0 test,
> > disabling acceleration. The graphics card is (or seems to be) working
> > apart from that, the driver starts up and sees the connectors on the
> board.
> >
> > When I compare dmesg on an x86 machine and the PPC machine, I see that
> > the x86 machine loads a lot more firmware from the kernel (probably the
> > acceleration parts?).
>
> FWIW, that's probably just a subsequent symptom due to the ring test
> failure.

Gotcha.

> > My question is, what do I need to do to correctly initialize the E8860
> > board on my powerpc machine?
>
> Start by sharing the dmesg output, and maybe also the kernel build
> configuration file.

Both are attached (gzipped because of size).

The card gets initialized of a sorts, and there are no PCIE errors (using a
slightly different
setup for the PCIe controllers in my device-tree for the board results in
PCIe errors being thrown).

Bas Vermeulen

[-- Attachment #2: defconfig.e8860.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 2941 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: dmesg.e8860.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 12511 bytes --]

@ 2018-02-21  9:23           ` Bas Vermeulen
       [not found]             ` <CAGtoiRhHVUvg-EH9nESXjA6+T78ezQ4Cebn9rCMt09hudSqDsQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Bas Vermeulen @ 2018-02-21  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: christian.koenig-5C7GfCeVMHo
  Cc: Michel Dänzer, amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:14 AM, Christian König <
ckoenig.leichtzumerken-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Am 21.02.2018 um 10:06 schrieb Michel Dänzer:
>
>> On 2018-02-21 09:49 AM, Bas Vermeulen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am unsure if this is the right place to ask, but it seems relevant.
>>>

> Well this list is certainly the right place to ask :)

That's what I was hoping for :)

> I am trying to use an AMD E8860 (SI) board connected to an E6500 PowerPC
>>> board (T2080RDB from NXP).
>>> The T2080RDB does not use a BIOS, and uses u-boot to bootstrap Linux.
>>>
>>> I have the E8860 connected to a PCIe x4 slot with an adapter. The kernel
>>> is a 4.1, with DRM included in the kernel and the radeon as a module.
>>> The radeon driver detects the card, notices the BIOS hasn't posted and
>>> starts things up.
>>> After that, the ring tests get run, and fails on the ring 0 test,
>>> disabling acceleration. The graphics card is (or seems to be) working
>>> apart from that, the driver starts up and sees the connectors on the
>>> board.
>>>
>>> When I compare dmesg on an x86 machine and the PPC machine, I see that
>>> the x86 machine loads a lot more firmware from the kernel (probably the
>>> acceleration parts?).
>>>
>> FWIW, that's probably just a subsequent symptom due to the ring test
>> failure.
>>

> Could be, but IIRC we load all the firmware first then initialize things
> and then do the ring tests when we try to start the rings.
>
> BTW: What driver are you using? radeon or amdgpu?

This is a south-island or sea-island chip, so using radeon.

> My question is, what do I need to do to correctly initialize the E8860
>>> board on my powerpc machine?
>>>
>> Start by sharing the dmesg output, and maybe also the kernel build
>> configuration file.
>>

> Maybe also open a bug report to attach the dmesg, see bugs.freedesktop.org
> .

Sure. What project does the radeon driver fall under? I couldn't find the
right category under Mesa, not sure what
to file it under.

@ 2018-02-21  9:31           ` Michel Dänzer
       [not found]             ` <9b9704ee-05ae-8586-bdf8-0e37171d8829-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Michel Dänzer @ 2018-02-21  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bas Vermeulen; +Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 2018-02-21 10:18 AM, Bas Vermeulen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:06 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel@daenzer.net
> <mailto:michel@daenzer.net>> wrote:
>
>     > My question is, what do I need to do to correctly initialize the E8860
>     > board on my powerpc machine?
>
>     Start by sharing the dmesg output, and maybe also the kernel build
>     configuration file.
>

> Both are attached (gzipped because of size).

It might be related to this:

[   10.482772] radeon: No coherent DMA available.

@ 2018-02-21  9:31               ` Christian König
       [not found]                 ` <e5ce02b3-a67c-d9d7-69ee-f66b5b82a2d7-5C7GfCeVMHo@public.gmane.org>
From: Christian König @ 2018-02-21  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bas Vermeulen
  Cc: Michel Dänzer, amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Am 21.02.2018 um 10:23 schrieb Bas Vermeulen:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:14 AM, Christian König
> <ckoenig.leichtzumerken-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
> <mailto:ckoenig.leichtzumerken-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>
>     Am 21.02.2018 um 10:06 schrieb Michel Dänzer:
>
>         On 2018-02-21 09:49 AM, Bas Vermeulen wrote:
>
>             Hi,
>
>             I am unsure if this is the right place to ask, but it
>             seems relevant.
>

>     Well this list is certainly the right place to ask :)
>

> That's what I was hoping for :)
>

>             I am trying to use an AMD E8860 (SI) board connected to an
>             E6500 PowerPC
>             board (T2080RDB from NXP).
>             The T2080RDB does not use a BIOS, and uses u-boot to
>             bootstrap Linux.
>
>             I have the E8860 connected to a PCIe x4 slot with an
>             adapter. The kernel
>             is a 4.1, with DRM included in the kernel and the radeon
>             as a module.
>             The radeon driver detects the card, notices the BIOS
>             hasn't posted and
>             starts things up.
>             After that, the ring tests get run, and fails on the ring
>             0 test,
>             disabling acceleration. The graphics card is (or seems to
>             be) working
>             apart from that, the driver starts up and sees the
>             connectors on the board.
>
>             When I compare dmesg on an x86 machine and the PPC
>             machine, I see that
>             the x86 machine loads a lot more firmware from the kernel
>             (probably the
>             acceleration parts?).
>
>         FWIW, that's probably just a subsequent symptom due to the
>         ring test
>         failure.
>

>     Could be, but IIRC we load all the firmware first then initialize
>     things and then do the ring tests when we try to start the rings.
>
>     BTW: What driver are you using? radeon or amdgpu?
>

> This is a south-island or sea-island chip, so using radeon.

Well SI is also supported by amdgpu, I would give that a try as well.

And BTW please try a more recent kernel as well, 4.1 is rather old.

>             My question is, what do I need to do to correctly
>             initialize the E8860
>             board on my powerpc machine?
>
>         Start by sharing the dmesg output, and maybe also the kernel build
>         configuration file.
>

>     Maybe also open a bug report to attach the dmesg, see
>     bugs.freedesktop.org <http://bugs.freedesktop.org>.
>

> Sure. What project does the radeon driver fall under? I couldn't find
> the right category under Mesa, not sure what
> to file it under.

Product DRI and then select DRM/Radeon as component.

Christian.

@ 2018-02-21  9:36   ` Michel Dänzer
       [not found]     ` <a6b1d334-cf01-993a-a298-4ab63e9189a7-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Michel Dänzer @ 2018-02-21  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bas Vermeulen; +Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 2018-02-21 09:49 AM, Bas Vermeulen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am unsure if this is the right place to ask, but it seems relevant.
>
> I am trying to use an AMD E8860 (SI) board connected to an E6500 PowerPC
> board (T2080RDB from NXP).

BTW, looks like the CPU runs in big endian mode
(CONFIG_CPU_BIG_ENDIAN=y), doesn't it? If so, be warned that this is
just the tip of the iceberg. The Mesa radeonsi driver doesn't work on
big endian hosts yet, fixing that would involve a lot of work and pain.
And without that, you won't be able to actually use any hardware
acceleration.

@ 2018-02-21  9:51                   ` Bas Vermeulen
From: Bas Vermeulen @ 2018-02-21  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian König
  Cc: Michel Dänzer, amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Christian König <christian.koenig@amd.com>
wrote:

> Am 21.02.2018 um 10:23 schrieb Bas Vermeulen:
>
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:14 AM, Christian König <
> ckoenig.leichtzumerken-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>> Well this list is certainly the right place to ask :)
>

> That's what I was hoping for :)
>

>> I am trying to use an AMD E8860 (SI) board connected to an E6500 PowerPC

>>> FWIW, that's probably just a subsequent symptom due to the ring test
>>> failure.
>>>

>> Could be, but IIRC we load all the firmware first then initialize things
>> and then do the ring tests when we try to start the rings.
>>
>> BTW: What driver are you using? radeon or amdgpu?
>

> This is a south-island or sea-island chip, so using radeon.
>

> Well SI is also supported by amdgpu, I would give that a try as well.

Didn't know that,

> And BTW please try a more recent kernel as well, 4.1 is rather old.

Somewhat easier said than done; it's an NXP board, and they only supply 4.1
at the moment.
I'll see if I can upgrade to 4.15.x.

@ 2018-02-21  9:56       ` Bas Vermeulen
From: Bas Vermeulen @ 2018-02-21  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michel Dänzer; +Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 2018-02-21 09:49 AM, Bas Vermeulen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am unsure if this is the right place to ask, but it seems relevant.
> >
> > I am trying to use an AMD E8860 (SI) board connected to an E6500 PowerPC
> > board (T2080RDB from NXP).
>
> BTW, looks like the CPU runs in big endian mode
> (CONFIG_CPU_BIG_ENDIAN=y), doesn't it? If so, be warned that this is
> just the tip of the iceberg. The Mesa radeonsi driver doesn't work on
> big endian hosts yet, fixing that would involve a lot of work and pain.
> And without that, you won't be able to actually use any hardware
> acceleration.

Understood. At the moment I want to understand what I am doing wrong in
regards to the kernel part,
I'll cross the userspace bridge when I get there. The end-goal is a
completely different (real-time) OS,
and understanding how things work will help in any case.

@ 2018-02-21 10:38               ` Bas Vermeulen
       [not found]                 ` <CAGtoiRgJsoETCpE7R+LwQ-941vgifCWQ+9GdDe_-NiNaJK-78A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Bas Vermeulen @ 2018-02-21 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michel Dänzer; +Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 2018-02-21 10:18 AM, Bas Vermeulen wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:06 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel-otUistvHUpNNg+MwTxZMZA@public.gmane.orgt
> > <mailto:michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     > My question is, what do I need to do to correctly initialize the
> E8860
> >     > board on my powerpc machine?
> >
> >     Start by sharing the dmesg output, and maybe also the kernel build
> >     configuration file.
> >

> > Both are attached (gzipped because of size).
>
> It might be related to this:
>
> [   10.482772] radeon: No coherent DMA available.

I updated my device-tree to add incoming pcie ranges, and that removes this
error:

[   10.161044] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
[   10.165168] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (VERDE 0x1002:0x6822
0x1002:0x031E).
[   10.171799] radeon: No coherent DMA available.
[   10.171831] [drm] register mmio base: 0x41000000
[   10.171832] [drm] register mmio size: 262144
[   10.411061] ATOM BIOS: E268
[   10.412569] [drm] GPU not posted. posting now...
[   10.441831] radeon 0002:01:00.0: VRAM: 2048M 0x0000000000000000 -
0x000000007FFFFFFF (2048M used)
[   10.449408] radeon 0002:01:00.0: GTT: 1024M 0x0000000080000000 -
0x00000000BFFFFFFF
[   10.455771] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=2048M, BAR=256M
[   10.459349] [drm] RAM width 128bits DDR
[   10.462455] [TTM] Zone  kernel: Available graphics memory: 1978634 kiB
[   10.467688] [TTM] Initializing pool allocator
[   10.470755] [TTM] Initializing DMA pool allocator
[   10.474194] [drm] radeon: 2048M of VRAM memory ready
[   10.477859] [drm] radeon: 1024M of GTT memory ready.
[   10.481549] [drm] Loading verde Microcode
[   10.500383] [drm] Internal thermal controller with fan control
[   10.505048] [drm] probing gen 2 caps for device 1957:830 = 73f443/e
[   10.522317] [drm] radeon: dpm initialized
[   10.539675] [drm] GART: num cpu pages 262144, num gpu pages 262144
[   10.546129] [drm] probing gen 2 caps for device 1957:830 = 73f443/e
[   10.551121] [drm] PCIE gen 3 link speeds already enabled
[   10.581276] [drm] PCIE GART of 1024M enabled (table at
0x0000000000277000).
[   10.587142] radeon 0002:01:00.0: WB enabled
[   10.590019] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 0 use gpu addr
0x0000000080000c00 and cpu addr 0xc0000000ed15bc00
[   10.599515] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 1 use gpu addr
0x0000000080000c04 and cpu addr 0xc0000000ed15bc04
[   10.609008] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 2 use gpu addr
0x0000000080000c08 and cpu addr 0xc0000000ed15bc08
[   10.618499] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 3 use gpu addr
0x0000000080000c0c and cpu addr 0xc0000000ed15bc0c
[   10.627992] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 4 use gpu addr
0x0000000080000c10 and cpu addr 0xc0000000ed15bc10
[   10.639273] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 5 use gpu addr
0x0000000000075a18 and cpu addr 0x8000080088db5a18
[   10.648762] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
[   10.654078] [drm] Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.
[   10.658873] radeon 0002:01:00.0: radeon: MSI limited to 32-bit
[   10.663455] radeon 0002:01:00.0: radeon: using MSI.
[   10.667069] [drm] radeon: irq initialized.
[   11.353989] [drm:.r600_ring_test [radeon]] *ERROR* radeon: ring 0 test
failed (scratch(0x850C)=0xCAFEDEAD)
[   11.362354] radeon 0002:01:00.0: disabling GPU acceleration
[   11.543395] [drm] Radeon Display Connectors
[   11.546272] [drm] Connector 0:
[   11.548027] [drm]   DP-1
[   11.549248] [drm]   HPD1
[   11.550471] [drm]   DDC: 0x6530 0x6530 0x6534 0x6534 0x6538 0x6538
0x653c 0x653c
[   11.556569] [drm]   Encoders:
[   11.558224] [drm]     DFP1: INTERNAL_UNIPHY1
[   11.561192] [drm] Connector 1:
[   11.562941] [drm]   DP-2
[   11.564162] [drm]   HPD4
[   11.565384] [drm]   DDC: 0x6560 0x6560 0x6564 0x6564 0x6568 0x6568
0x656c 0x656c
[   11.571480] [drm]   Encoders:
[   11.573136] [drm]     DFP2: INTERNAL_UNIPHY1
[   11.576103] [drm] Connector 2:
[   11.577846] [drm]   DP-3
[   11.579074] [drm]   HPD5
[   11.580297] [drm]   DDC: 0x6540 0x6540 0x6544 0x6544 0x6548 0x6548
0x654c 0x654c
[   11.586393] [drm]   Encoders:
[   11.588057] [drm]     DFP3: INTERNAL_UNIPHY2
[   11.591023] [drm] Connector 3:
[   11.592767] [drm]   DP-4
[   11.593987] [drm]   HPD6
[   11.595216] [drm]   DDC: 0x6570 0x6570 0x6574 0x6574 0x6578 0x6578
0x657c 0x657c
[   11.601313] [drm]   Encoders:
[   11.602978] [drm]     DFP4: INTERNAL_UNIPHY2
[   11.692728] radeon 0002:01:00.0: No connectors reported connected with
modes
[   11.698480] [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes - going 1024x768
[   11.708402] [drm] fb mappable at 0xC60478000
[   11.711369] [drm] vram apper at 0xC60000000
[   11.714242] [drm] size 3145728
[   11.715993] [drm] fb depth is 24
[   11.717910] [drm]    pitch is 4096
[   11.720091] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fb0: radeondrmfb frame buffer device
[   11.725236] radeon 0002:01:00.0: registered panic notifier
[   11.742619] [drm] Initialized radeon 2.42.0 20080528 for 0002:01:00.0 on
minor 0
[   40.806632] random: nonblocking pool is initialized

@ 2018-02-21 10:43                   ` Christian König
       [not found]                     ` <8950aedc-29db-ae1b-96c9-20be3c8177eb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Christian König @ 2018-02-21 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bas Vermeulen, Michel Dänzer
  Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Am 21.02.2018 um 11:38 schrieb Bas Vermeulen:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org
> <mailto:michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 2018-02-21 10:18 AM, Bas Vermeulen wrote:
>     > On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:06 AM, Michel Dänzer
>     <michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org <mailto:michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
>     > <mailto:michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org <mailto:michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     > My question is, what do I need to do to correctly
>     initialize the E8860
>     >     > board on my powerpc machine?
>     >
>     >     Start by sharing the dmesg output, and maybe also the kernel
>     build
>     >     configuration file.
>     >
>     >
>     > Both are attached (gzipped because of size).
>
>     It might be related to this:
>
>     [   10.482772] radeon: No coherent DMA available.
>

> I updated my device-tree to add incoming pcie ranges, and that removes
> this error:
>
> [   10.161044] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
> [   10.165168] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (VERDE
> 0x1002:0x6822 0x1002:0x031E).
> [   10.171799] radeon: No coherent DMA available.

Well that reads like the problem is still there and yes when you don't
have coherent DMA possibility that would explain why it doesn't work.

Can you provide us with a dump of /proc/iomem as well?

Thanks,
Christian.

@ 2018-02-21 11:01                       ` Bas Vermeulen
       [not found]                         ` <CAGtoiRhivO8WtafLy-LC=h9VOsOUrwR7=_Uze9pTBAk=FfiVsA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Bas Vermeulen @ 2018-02-21 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian König
  Cc: Michel Dänzer, amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 11:43 AM, Christian König <
ckoenig.leichtzumerken-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Am 21.02.2018 um 11:38 schrieb Bas Vermeulen:
>
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2018-02-21 10:18 AM, Bas Vermeulen wrote:
>> > On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:06 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel@daenzer.net
>> > <mailto:michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     > My question is, what do I need to do to correctly initialize the
>> E8860
>> >     > board on my powerpc machine?
>> >
>> >     Start by sharing the dmesg output, and maybe also the kernel build
>> >     configuration file.
>> >

>> > Both are attached (gzipped because of size).
>>
>> It might be related to this:
>>
>> [   10.482772] radeon: No coherent DMA available.
>>

> I updated my device-tree to add incoming pcie ranges, and that removes
> this error:
>
> [   10.161044] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
> [   10.165168] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (VERDE 0x1002:0x6822
> 0x1002:0x031E).
> [   10.171799] radeon: No coherent DMA available.
>

> Well that reads like the problem is still there and yes when you don't
> have coherent DMA possibility that would explain why it doesn't work.
>
> Can you provide us with a dump of /proc/iomem as well?

Sure:

00000000-ffffffff : System RAM
c20000000-c2fffffff : /pcie@ffe250000
  c20000000-c2fffffff : PCI Bus 0001:01
    c21000000-c210fffff : 0001:01:00.0
    c21100000-c211fffff : 0001:01:00.0
c40000000-c7fffffff : /pcie@ffe270000
  c40000000-c7fffffff : PCI Bus 0002:01
    c41000000-c4103ffff : 0002:01:00.0
    c41040000-c4105ffff : 0002:01:00.0
    c41060000-c41063fff : 0002:01:00.1
    c60000000-c6fffffff : 0002:01:00.0
fe8000000-fefffffff : fe8000000.nor
ffe008000-ffe008fff : mpc85xx_mc_err
ffe100100-ffe10017f : dma
ffe100180-ffe1001ff : dma
ffe100200-ffe10027f : dma
ffe100280-ffe1002ff : dma
ffe100400-ffe10047f : dma
ffe100480-ffe1004ff : dma
ffe100500-ffe10057f : dma
ffe100580-ffe1005ff : dma
ffe101100-ffe10117f : dma
ffe101180-ffe1011ff : dma
ffe101200-ffe10127f : dma
ffe101280-ffe1012ff : dma
ffe101400-ffe10147f : dma
ffe101480-ffe1014ff : dma
ffe101500-ffe10157f : dma
ffe101580-ffe1015ff : dma
ffe102100-ffe10217f : dma
ffe102180-ffe1021ff : dma
ffe102200-ffe10227f : dma
ffe102280-ffe1022ff : dma
ffe102400-ffe10247f : dma
ffe102480-ffe1024ff : dma
ffe102500-ffe10257f : dma
ffe102580-ffe1025ff : dma
ffe110000-ffe110fff : /soc@ffe000000/spi@110000
ffe114000-ffe114fff : mmc0
ffe11c500-ffe11c507 : serial
ffe11c600-ffe11c607 : serial
ffe11d500-ffe11d507 : serial
ffe11d600-ffe11d607 : serial
ffe210000-ffe210fff : /soc@ffe000000/usb@210000
  ffe210000-ffe210fff : /soc@ffe000000/usb@210000
ffe211000-ffe211fff : /soc@ffe000000/usb@211000
  ffe211000-ffe211fff : /soc@ffe000000/usb@211000
ffe240e00-ffe24ffff : mpc85xx_pci_err
ffe250e00-ffe25ffff : mpc85xx_pci_err
ffe270e00-ffe27ffff : mpc85xx_pci_err
ffe400000-ffe4fffff : fman
  ffe400000-ffe45ffff : fman-muram
  ffe482000-ffe482fff : fman-port-hc
  ffe483000-ffe483fff : fman-port-hc
  ffe484000-ffe484fff : fman-port-hc
  ffe485000-ffe485fff : fman-port-hc
  ffe486000-ffe486fff : fman-port-hc
  ffe487000-ffe487fff : fman-port-hc
  ffe488000-ffe488fff : fman-port-hc
  ffe489000-ffe489fff : fman-port-hc
  ffe48a000-ffe48afff : fman-port-hc
  ffe48b000-ffe48bfff : fman-port-hc
  ffe48c000-ffe48cfff : fman-port-hc
  ffe48d000-ffe48dfff : fman-port-hc
  ffe490000-ffe490fff : fman-port-hc
  ffe491000-ffe491fff : fman-port-hc
  ffe4a8000-ffe4a8fff : fman-port-hc
  ffe4a9000-ffe4a9fff : fman-port-hc
  ffe4aa000-ffe4aafff : fman-port-hc
  ffe4ab000-ffe4abfff : fman-port-hc
  ffe4ac000-ffe4acfff : fman-port-hc
  ffe4ad000-ffe4adfff : fman-port-hc
  ffe4b0000-ffe4b0fff : fman-port-hc
  ffe4b1000-ffe4b1fff : fman-port-hc
  ffe4dc000-ffe4dcfff : fman-vsp
  ffe4e0000-ffe4e0fff : mac
  ffe4e2000-ffe4e2fff : mac
  ffe4e4000-ffe4e4fff : mac
  ffe4e6000-ffe4e6fff : mac
  ffe4f0000-ffe4f0fff : mac
  ffe4f2000-ffe4f2fff : mac
  ffe4fe000-ffe4fefff : fman-rtc

@ 2018-02-21 11:52                           ` Christian König
       [not found]                             ` <4b7d2add-456f-5e0e-5aea-15439d2b76e3-5C7GfCeVMHo@public.gmane.org>
From: Christian König @ 2018-02-21 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bas Vermeulen
  Cc: Michel Dänzer, amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Am 21.02.2018 um 12:01 schrieb Bas Vermeulen:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 11:43 AM, Christian König
> <ckoenig.leichtzumerken-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
> <mailto:ckoenig.leichtzumerken-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>
>     Am 21.02.2018 um 11:38 schrieb Bas Vermeulen:
>>     On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Michel Dänzer
>>     <michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org <mailto:michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>>
>>         On 2018-02-21 10:18 AM, Bas Vermeulen wrote:
>>         > On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:06 AM, Michel Dänzer
>>         <michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org <mailto:michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
>>         > <mailto:michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org <mailto:michel-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>>> wrote:
>>         >
>>         >     > My question is, what do I need to do to correctly
>>         initialize the E8860
>>         >     > board on my powerpc machine?
>>         >
>>         >     Start by sharing the dmesg output, and maybe also the
>>         kernel build
>>         >     configuration file.
>>         >
>>         >
>>         > Both are attached (gzipped because of size).
>>
>>         It might be related to this:
>>
>>         [   10.482772] radeon: No coherent DMA available.
>>

>>     I updated my device-tree to add incoming pcie ranges, and that
>>     removes this error:
>>
>>     [   10.161044] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
>>     [   10.165168] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (VERDE
>>     0x1002:0x6822 0x1002:0x031E).
>>     [   10.171799] radeon: No coherent DMA available.
>
>     Well that reads like the problem is still there and yes when you
>     don't have coherent DMA possibility that would explain why it
>     doesn't work.
>
>     Can you provide us with a dump of /proc/iomem as well?
>

> Sure:
>
> 00000000-ffffffff : System RAM

Mhm, ok all system memory is below 4GB. So at least in theory it should
work even without coherent DMA.

No idea what goes wrong here,
Christian.

@ 2018-02-21 12:13                               ` Bas Vermeulen
       [not found]                                 ` <CAGtoiRhjUShyxeHRuhx_g4zoTYLig=5R_9f-bHAUOcfVO7C0FQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Bas Vermeulen @ 2018-02-21 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian König
  Cc: Michel Dänzer, amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

I got a 4.15.0 up and running on the board; it needs pci=noaer, but boots
up and sees the E8860 apart from that.

The relevant dmesg output:

[   10.888426] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
[   10.892170] radeon 0001:01:00.0: runtime IRQ mapping not provided by arch
[   10.892407] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (VERDE 0x1002:0x6822
0x1002:0x031E 0x00).
[   11.138410] ATOM BIOS: E268
[   11.139916] [drm] GPU not posted. posting now...
[   11.168970] radeon 0001:01:00.0: VRAM: 2048M 0x0000000000000000 -
0x000000007FFFFFFF (2048M used)
[   11.176546] radeon 0001:01:00.0: GTT: 2048M 0x0000000080000000 -
0x00000000FFFFFFFF
[   11.182909] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=2048M, BAR=256M
[   11.186488] [drm] RAM width 128bits DDR
[   11.189121] [TTM] Zone  kernel: Available graphics memory: 1978102 kiB
[   11.194350] [TTM] Initializing pool allocator
[   11.197407] [TTM] Initializing DMA pool allocator
[   11.200858] [drm] radeon: 2048M of VRAM memory ready
[   11.204527] [drm] radeon: 2048M of GTT memory ready.
[   11.208211] [drm] Loading verde Microcode
[   11.225907] [drm] Internal thermal controller with fan control
[   11.230575] [drm] probing gen 2 caps for device 1957:830 = 73f443/e
[   11.247750] [drm] radeon: dpm initialized
[   11.268255] [drm] Found VCE firmware/feedback version 50.0.1 / 17!
[   11.273152] [drm] GART: num cpu pages 524288, num gpu pages 524288
[   11.281061] [drm] probing gen 2 caps for device 1957:830 = 73f443/e
[   11.286060] [drm] PCIE gen 3 link speeds already enabled
[   11.342009] [drm] PCIE GART of 2048M enabled (table at
0x00000000001D6000).
[   11.347883] radeon 0001:01:00.0: WB enabled
[   11.350779] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 0 use gpu addr
0x0000000080000c00 and cpu addr 0x000000007408d6c9
[   11.360274] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 1 use gpu addr
0x0000000080000c04 and cpu addr 0x0000000013c11aeb
[   11.369770] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 2 use gpu addr
0x0000000080000c08 and cpu addr 0x00000000d4ddd131
[   11.379267] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 3 use gpu addr
0x0000000080000c0c and cpu addr 0x00000000263a4d29
[   11.388763] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 4 use gpu addr
0x0000000080000c10 and cpu addr 0x000000006ceb1503
[   11.399277] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 5 use gpu addr
0x0000000000075a18 and cpu addr 0x000000008935a463
[   11.419084] radeon 0001:01:00.0: failed VCE resume (-22).
[   11.423181] [drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
[   11.428502] [drm] Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.
[   11.433301] radeon 0001:01:00.0: radeon: MSI limited to 32-bit
[   11.437896] radeon 0001:01:00.0: radeon: using MSI.
[   11.441499] [drm] radeon: irq initialized.
[   12.127423] [drm:.r600_ring_test [radeon]] *ERROR* radeon: ring 0 test
failed (scratch(0x850C)=0xCAFEDEAD)
[   12.135788] radeon 0001:01:00.0: disabling GPU acceleration
[   12.320848] [drm] Radeon Display Connectors
[   12.323733] [drm] Connector 0:
[   12.325476] [drm]   DP-1
[   12.326711] [drm]   HPD1
[   12.327935] [drm]   DDC: 0x6530 0x6530 0x6534 0x6534 0x6538 0x6538
0x653c 0x653c
[   12.334035] [drm]   Encoders:
[   12.335691] [drm]     DFP1: INTERNAL_UNIPHY1
[   12.338662] [drm] Connector 1:
[   12.340405] [drm]   DP-2
[   12.341625] [drm]   HPD4
[   12.342857] [drm]   DDC: 0x6560 0x6560 0x6564 0x6564 0x6568 0x6568
0x656c 0x656c
[   12.348957] [drm]   Encoders:
[   12.350622] [drm]     DFP2: INTERNAL_UNIPHY1
[   12.353583] [drm] Connector 2:
[   12.355335] [drm]   DP-3
[   12.356557] [drm]   HPD5
[   12.357788] [drm]   DDC: 0x6540 0x6540 0x6544 0x6544 0x6548 0x6548
0x654c 0x654c
[   12.363888] [drm]   Encoders:
[   12.365543] [drm]     DFP3: INTERNAL_UNIPHY2
[   12.368514] [drm] Connector 3:
[   12.370267] [drm]   DP-4
[   12.371487] [drm]   HPD6
[   12.372709] [drm]   DDC: 0x6570 0x6570 0x6574 0x6574 0x6578 0x6578
0x657c 0x657c
[   12.378808] [drm]   Encoders:
[   12.380464] [drm]     DFP4: INTERNAL_UNIPHY2
[   12.508848] [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes
[   12.512716] [drm] Initialized radeon 2.50.0 20080528 for 0001:01:00.0 on
minor 0
[   13.636810] [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes

The failed VCE resume (-22) seems to be caused by

        if (rdev->vce.vcpu_bo == NULL)
                return -EINVAL;

in radeon_vce.c line 226. Any idea where to look from there?

@ 2018-02-21 12:43                                   ` Christian König
       [not found]                                     ` <0f2a9449-b81a-2103-cd6b-df8e7e4b1d60-5C7GfCeVMHo@public.gmane.org>
From: Christian König @ 2018-02-21 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bas Vermeulen
  Cc: Michel Dänzer, amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

> The failed VCE resume (-22) seems to be caused by
>
>         if (rdev->vce.vcpu_bo == NULL)
>                 return -EINVAL;
>
> in radeon_vce.c line 226.

Yeah, you don't seem to have the VCE firmware installed. But as long as
you don't want to do any advanced video encoding with the hardware we
can simply ignore that for now.

> Any idea where to look from there?

Unfortunately not the slightest.

What's a bit suspicious is that the CPU addresses for the fence
locations look odd:
> [   11.350779] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 0 use gpu
> addr 0x0000000080000c00 and cpu addr 0x000000007408d6c9
> [   11.360274] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 1 use gpu
> addr 0x0000000080000c04 and cpu addr 0x0000000013c11aeb
> [   11.369770] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 2 use gpu
> addr 0x0000000080000c08 and cpu addr 0x00000000d4ddd131
> [   11.379267] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 3 use gpu
> addr 0x0000000080000c0c and cpu addr 0x00000000263a4d29
> [   11.388763] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 4 use gpu
> addr 0x0000000080000c10 and cpu addr 0x000000006ceb1503
> [   11.399277] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 5 use gpu
> addr 0x0000000000075a18 and cpu addr 0x000000008935a463
But could as well be that we don't correctly print them.

Apart from that I don't have any good idea any more why that shouldn't work.

Sorry,
Christian.

@ 2018-02-21 17:22                                       ` Alex Deucher
       [not found]                                         ` <CADnq5_MDSKX8M+seffLxjdNaF3c6WtwY5Pz03YqBSdg6zG=QkA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Alex Deucher @ 2018-02-21 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian König; +Cc: Michel Dänzer, Bas Vermeulen, amd-gfx list

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 7:43 AM, Christian König
<christian.koenig@amd.com> wrote:
>> The failed VCE resume (-22) seems to be caused by
>>
>>         if (rdev->vce.vcpu_bo == NULL)
>>                 return -EINVAL;
>>
>> in radeon_vce.c line 226.
>

> Yeah, you don't seem to have the VCE firmware installed. But as long as you
> don't want to do any advanced video encoding with the hardware we can simply
> ignore that for now.
>
>> Any idea where to look from there?
>

> Unfortunately not the slightest.
>
> What's a bit suspicious is that the CPU addresses for the fence locations
> look odd:
>>
>> [   11.350779] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 0 use gpu addr
>> 0x0000000080000c00 and cpu addr 0x000000007408d6c9
>> [   11.360274] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 1 use gpu addr
>> 0x0000000080000c04 and cpu addr 0x0000000013c11aeb
>> [   11.369770] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 2 use gpu addr
>> 0x0000000080000c08 and cpu addr 0x00000000d4ddd131
>> [   11.379267] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 3 use gpu addr
>> 0x0000000080000c0c and cpu addr 0x00000000263a4d29
>> [   11.388763] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 4 use gpu addr
>> 0x0000000080000c10 and cpu addr 0x000000006ceb1503
>> [   11.399277] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 5 use gpu addr
>> 0x0000000000075a18 and cpu addr 0x000000008935a463
>
> But could as well be that we don't correctly print them.
>
> Apart from that I don't have any good idea any more why that shouldn't work.

Does your platform properly handle DMA masks?  Most radeon hw only
supports a 40 bit DMA mask.  If there are relevant bits in the upper
bits of the address, they will be lost when the hw tries to use the
address.  On at least some powerpc hw, I believe there is some memory
routing related info in the high bits.

Alex

@ 2018-02-21 18:12                                       ` Felix Kuehling
From: Felix Kuehling @ 2018-02-21 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian König, Bas Vermeulen
  Cc: Michel Dänzer, amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 2018-02-21 07:43 AM, Christian König wrote:
>> The failed VCE resume (-22) seems to be caused by
>>
>>         if (rdev->vce.vcpu_bo == NULL)
>>                 return -EINVAL;
>>
>> in radeon_vce.c line 226.
>
> Yeah, you don't seem to have the VCE firmware installed. But as long
> as you don't want to do any advanced video encoding with the hardware
> we can simply ignore that for now.
>
>> Any idea where to look from there?
>
> Unfortunately not the slightest.
>
> What's a bit suspicious is that the CPU addresses for the fence
> locations look odd:
>> [   11.350779] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 0 use gpu
>> addr 0x0000000080000c00 and cpu addr 0x000000007408d6c9
>> [   11.360274] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 1 use gpu
>> addr 0x0000000080000c04 and cpu addr 0x0000000013c11aeb
>> [   11.369770] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 2 use gpu
>> addr 0x0000000080000c08 and cpu addr 0x00000000d4ddd131
>> [   11.379267] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 3 use gpu
>> addr 0x0000000080000c0c and cpu addr 0x00000000263a4d29
>> [   11.388763] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 4 use gpu
>> addr 0x0000000080000c10 and cpu addr 0x000000006ceb1503
>> [   11.399277] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 5 use gpu
>> addr 0x0000000000075a18 and cpu addr 0x000000008935a463
> But could as well be that we don't correctly print them.

Starting in 4.15 printk("%p") doesn't print real pointers but a hash of
the address. I think that's part of the spectre/meltdown changes to make
it harder to guess the kernel mode address space layout. See
Documentation/core-api/printk-formats.rst for more details. And this commit:
> ad67b74 printk: hash addresses printed with %p

Regards,
  Felix

@ 2018-02-22  8:37                                           ` Bas Vermeulen
       [not found]                                             ` <CAGtoiRiSNHOVUnHDrD9_E41Zunciy_3sMTWFpD_RowZ_D7mAcA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Bas Vermeulen @ 2018-02-22  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher; +Cc: Michel Dänzer, Christian König, amd-gfx list

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 6:22 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 7:43 AM, Christian König
> <christian.koenig-5C7GfCeVMHo@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >> The failed VCE resume (-22) seems to be caused by
> >>
> >>         if (rdev->vce.vcpu_bo == NULL)
> >>                 return -EINVAL;
> >>
> >> in radeon_vce.c line 226.
> >

> > Yeah, you don't seem to have the VCE firmware installed. But as long as
> you
> > don't want to do any advanced video encoding with the hardware we can
> simply
> > ignore that for now.
> >
> >> Any idea where to look from there?
> >

> > Unfortunately not the slightest.
> >
> > What's a bit suspicious is that the CPU addresses for the fence locations
> > look odd:
> >>
> >> [   11.350779] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 0 use gpu addr
> >> 0x0000000080000c00 and cpu addr 0x000000007408d6c9
> >> [   11.360274] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 1 use gpu addr
> >> 0x0000000080000c04 and cpu addr 0x0000000013c11aeb
> >> [   11.369770] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 2 use gpu addr
> >> 0x0000000080000c08 and cpu addr 0x00000000d4ddd131
> >> [   11.379267] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 3 use gpu addr
> >> 0x0000000080000c0c and cpu addr 0x00000000263a4d29
> >> [   11.388763] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 4 use gpu addr
> >> 0x0000000080000c10 and cpu addr 0x000000006ceb1503
> >> [   11.399277] radeon 0001:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 5 use gpu addr
> >> 0x0000000000075a18 and cpu addr 0x000000008935a463
> >
> > But could as well be that we don't correctly print them.
> >
> > Apart from that I don't have any good idea any more why that shouldn't
> work.
>
> Does your platform properly handle DMA masks?  Most radeon hw only
> supports a 40 bit DMA mask.  If there are relevant bits in the upper
> bits of the address, they will be lost when the hw tries to use the
> address.  On at least some powerpc hw, I believe there is some memory
> routing related info in the high bits.

On 4.1 (without the hashing algorithm when printing pointers), The rings
are placed thus:

[   11.002673] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 0 use gpu addr
0x0000000080000c00 and cpu addr 0xc00000007c0c8c00
[   11.012165] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 1 use gpu addr
0x0000000080000c04 and cpu addr 0xc00000007c0c8c04
[   11.021657] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 2 use gpu addr
0x0000000080000c08 and cpu addr 0xc00000007c0c8c08
[   11.031152] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 3 use gpu addr
0x0000000080000c0c and cpu addr 0xc00000007c0c8c0c
[   11.040644] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 4 use gpu addr
0x0000000080000c10 and cpu addr 0xc00000007c0c8c10
[   11.051919] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 5 use gpu addr
0x0000000000075a18 and cpu addr 0x8000080088db5a18

It's also using bit 63 & 62. So this might be something to look into.

@ 2018-02-22  8:51                                               ` Christian König
       [not found]                                                 ` <808b67da-30df-ed8b-f266-34a449d3f4ab-5C7GfCeVMHo@public.gmane.org>
From: Christian König @ 2018-02-22  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bas Vermeulen, Alex Deucher; +Cc: Michel Dänzer, amd-gfx list

Am 22.02.2018 um 09:37 schrieb Bas Vermeulen:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 6:22 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
> <mailto:alexdeucher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 7:43 AM, Christian König
>     [SNIP]
>     > Apart from that I don't have any good idea any more why that
>     shouldn't work.
>
>     Does your platform properly handle DMA masks?  Most radeon hw only
>     supports a 40 bit DMA mask.  If there are relevant bits in the upper
>     bits of the address, they will be lost when the hw tries to use the
>     address.  On at least some powerpc hw, I believe there is some memory
>     routing related info in the high bits.
>

> On 4.1 (without the hashing algorithm when printing pointers), The
> rings are placed thus:
>
> [   11.002673] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 0 use gpu
> addr 0x0000000080000c00 and cpu addr 0xc00000007c0c8c00
> [   11.012165] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 1 use gpu
> addr 0x0000000080000c04 and cpu addr 0xc00000007c0c8c04
> [   11.021657] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 2 use gpu
> addr 0x0000000080000c08 and cpu addr 0xc00000007c0c8c08
> [   11.031152] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 3 use gpu
> addr 0x0000000080000c0c and cpu addr 0xc00000007c0c8c0c
> [   11.040644] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 4 use gpu
> addr 0x0000000080000c10 and cpu addr 0xc00000007c0c8c10
> [   11.051919] radeon 0002:01:00.0: fence driver on ring 5 use gpu
> addr 0x0000000000075a18 and cpu addr 0x8000080088db5a18
>
> It's also using bit 63 & 62. So this might be something to look into.

No, that is just the virtual address of the buffer in kernel space and
perfectly ok.

What you could try is to force the need_dma32 flag to true, see
drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_ttm.c and search for need_dma32.

Regards,
Christian.

@ 2018-03-14 16:35                                                   ` Bas Vermeulen
From: Bas Vermeulen @ 2018-03-14 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)