On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 2:21 PM Linus Torvalds wrote: > > On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 12:03 PM Steve French wrote: > > > > I would be happy to do the move (to fs/smb) of the directories and > > update the config soon (seems reasonably low risk) - let me know if you > > want me to send it this week or wait till 6.5-rc > > So I think the "do it now or wait until the 6.5 merge window" is > entirely up to you. > > We've often intentionally done big renames during the "quiet time" > after the merge window is oven, just because doing them during the > merge window can be somewhat painful with unnecessary conflicts. > > I would *not* want to do it during the last week of the release, just > in case there are small details that need to be fixed up, but doing it > now during the rc3/rc4 kind of timeframe is not only fairly quiet, but > also gives us time to find any surprises. > > So in that sense, doing it now is likely one of the better times, and > a pure rename should not be risky from a code standpoint. > > At the same time, doing it during the merge window isn't *wrong* > either. Despite the somewhat painful merge with folio changes, I > don't think fs/cifs/ or fs/ksmbd/ normally have a lot of conflicts, > and git does handle rename conflicts fairly well unless there's just > lots of complexity. > > So it's really fine either way. The normal kind of "big changes" > should obviously always be merge window things, but pure renames > really are different and are often done outside of the merge window > (the same way I intentionally did the MAINTAINERS re-ordering just > *after* the merge window) > > But we don't do renames often enough to have any kind of strict rules > about things like this. > > So I think "whenever is most convenient for you" is the thing to aim > for here. This is *not* a "only during merge window" kind of thing. > > Linus Here are two patches: 1) Move CIFS/SMB3 related client and server files (cifs.ko and ksmbd.ko and helper modules) to new fs/smb subdirectory (fs/smbfs was not used to avoid confusion with the directory of the same name removed in 2.6.27 release and we also avoid using CONFIG_SMB_FS for the same reason) fs/cifs --> fs/smb/client fs/ksmbd --> fs/smb/server fs/smbfs_common --> fs/smb/common 2) With the fs/cifs directory moved to fs/smb/client, correct mentions of this in Documentation and comments. Follow on patch can change Documentation/filesystems/cifs --> Documentation/filesystems/smb (since it contains both server and client documentation) -- Thanks, Steve