Hi Giancinto Den ons 19 feb. 2020 kl 11:05 skrev Giacinto Cifelli : > Hi Richard, > > On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 10:06 AM Richard Röjfors > wrote: > > > > Hi Giancinto, > > > > Den tis 18 feb. 2020 kl 20:27 skrev Giacinto Cifelli >: > >> > >> Hi Richard, > >> > >> On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 10:19 AM Richard Röjfors > >> wrote: > >> > > >> > Hi, > >> > > >> > Ofono (at least for ublox) is always powering off the radio during > start. > >> > This can of course be handy of programmatic reasons to bring the > modem to a known state. > >> > Some configuration requires the radio to be turned off; for instance > the LTE auto connect APN. But on the other hand these are stored in > non-volatile memory and could be configured before hand. > >> > > >> > The big drawback with turning it off is that it might take time to > register again when the radio is on. I have seen it taking more than 10 > minutes in extreme cases. > >> > > >> > In embedded systems this can be a big issue. > >> > > >> > I'm thinking of adding a configuration option to keep the radio on > during start. > >> > > >> > Whats the general thought about this? > >> > >> my opinion would be to keep it like that. > >> it can generate several headaches for several use cases, and break > >> existing code. > > > > > > Yes I agree that the startup sequence will change, which is risky, but > > it would be an option for people knowing what they are doing. > > > >> > >> for example when the SIM could change as compared with the previous > >> boot. > > > > > > When using this option you should know what you are doing. As I said you > > might need to write settings to non-volatile memory since runtime changes > > might not apply. And a SIM wont just change in environments where this > > option should be used. > > > >> > >> Then it becomes much harder to recover from this situation. > >> it would be better to be able to boot the modem in airplane mode, > >> directly, so that there is no flip-flop effect. > > > > > > That could be an option, but that will cost up to several seconds of > time. > > In the systems I'm talking about the boot loader might kick the modem > > running to get it registered as quickly as possible. > > > >> > >> > >> In any case I have never observed 10 minutes. > > > > > > This is not the regular case. But I have observed this. > > > >> > >> If this really happens, either the signal is so low that in any case > >> the link will be pretty unstable, or the stack needs debugging. > > > > > > I contacted the FAE's from the vendor regarding this. I guess they > > want to keep the work load down, but their major complaint was > > the way ofono turns off the radio. And even if they would fix their > > bugs there will be modems in the field that behaves like this. > > But regardless; 10min is a super long time, even if its just > > seconds to save, that could be of importance... > > > > > > I'm not sure its a good idea to introduce this. I need to, > > but I wanted to check if there was an interest in the general public. > > trying is quite easy. In plugins/ublox.c, there are 2 occurrencies of > "AT+CFUN=4": > -> change both of them to "AT+CFUN=1". > (I am not sure whether this will produce an error in case the modem > is already in CFUN:1, but it is worth trying). > Yeah I have done this for a while. The question was not how to do it, just if there was an interest to get this kind of code upstreamed. FYI; It did not work out of the box at that point, since it triggered some race conditions. These could happen anyway so they are fixed in upstream ofono. > > If you are satisfied, then you can make it conditional with an > if (getenv("OFONO_UBLOX_NO_CFUN_FLIP")) > That could be a "simple" way of adding the switch. --Richard