* Re: no SELinux common criteria?
       [not found] <CAFPpqQF7L_ecFzBsfG5EydnaZ7_NQeT4Yxi+aY9Q1Xj-N_0c7g@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-04-19 20:15 ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2021-04-19 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Toth; +Cc: SELinux, Stephen Smalley, James Morris, Joe Nall

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 3:43 PM Ted Toth <txtoth@gmail.com> wrote:

> Having read:
> https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/red-hat-adds-common-criteria-certification-red-hat-enterprise-linux-8
> and seen no mention of SELinux I/we are wondering what others are thinking/doing about the lack of certification? Are we going to have to take this on ourselves and if so what would be a good starting point (LSPP)?

As a reminder, the SELinux developers list is an upstream list for the
discussion and development of SELinux; it is not a distro specific
list.  While the general topic of security certifications such as
Common Criteria can be on-topic for this list, distro specific
security certifications are likely best discussed with the individual
distro/vendor.

Last I checked, a CC eval of a general purpose Linux distro was a
rather expensive undertaking, I doubt that any of the volunteer based,
non "enterprise" distros would be able to go through such a
certification without some form of sponsorship or corporate backing.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com

* Re: no SELinux common criteria?
@ 2021-04-19 20:25   ` Ted Toth
From: Ted Toth @ 2021-04-19 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Moore; +Cc: SELinux, Stephen Smalley, James Morris, Joe Nall

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 3:15 PM Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 3:43 PM Ted Toth <txtoth@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Having read:
> > https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/red-hat-adds-common-criteria-certification-red-hat-enterprise-linux-8
> > and seen no mention of SELinux I/we are wondering what others are thinking/doing about the lack of certification? Are we going to have to take this on ourselves and if so what would be a good starting point (LSPP)?
>
> As a reminder, the SELinux developers list is an upstream list for the
> discussion and development of SELinux; it is not a distro specific
> list.  While the general topic of security certifications such as
> Common Criteria can be on-topic for this list, distro specific
> security certifications are likely best discussed with the individual
> distro/vendor.

The reference to RH was just an example of the lack of SELinux CC and
not meant to be a question specifically about RH my apologies.

> Last I checked, a CC eval of a general purpose Linux distro was a
> rather expensive undertaking, I doubt that any of the volunteer based,
> non "enterprise" distros would be able to go through such a
> certification without some form of sponsorship or corporate backing.
>
> --
> paul moore
> www.paul-moore.com

* no SELinux common criteria?