* Spontaneous reboots when using RX 560
@ 2019-10-17 14:12 Sylvain Munaut
       [not found] ` <CAHL+j0_2ir=8hHDoyqizweOUSV6XfqC-UCD15WuJ9vvptNLr0g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Sylvain Munaut @ 2019-10-17 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

HI,

I have RX 560 2G card. It's plugged into a 16x physical / 4x
electrical slot of a X570 chipset motherboard with a Ryzen 3700X CPU.
The hardware works fine and is stable under Windows (tested with
games, benchmarks, stress-tests, ...)

But when trying for instance steam under linux, or even just the 'app
launcher' from ubuntu that has some visual effect, the machine will
instantly reboot.
Also, after the reboot, the GPU is no longer detected (lspci doesn't
show it, and under windows, its no where to be seen either). It needs
to be physically turned off and turned back on for it to work again.

I added a serial console to try to get some output and when doing that
it doesn't immediately reboot (but the rest is the same, machine is
unusable and a reboot will have the GPU not present anymore until
poweroff).

This is the output I get :

[  144.311704] amdgpu 0000:06:00.0: AMD-Vi: Event logged
[IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0000 address=0xa076010100 flags=0x0010]
[  144.322734] amdgpu 0000:06:00.0: AMD-Vi: Event logged
[IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0000 address=0xa076230100 flags=0x0010]
[  144.333751] amdgpu 0000:06:00.0: AMD-Vi: Event logged
[IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0000 address=0xa076030100 flags=0x0010]
[  147.028625] AMD-Vi: Completion-Wait loop timed out
[  147.206336] AMD-Vi: Completion-Wait loop timed out
[  147.368260] AMD-Vi: Completion-Wait loop timed out
[  147.532296] AMD-Vi: Completion-Wait loop timed out
[  147.703269] AMD-Vi: Completion-Wait loop timed out
[  147.845840] AMD-Vi: Completion-Wait loop timed out
[  147.860950] iommu ivhd0: AMD-Vi: Event logged [IOTLB_INV_TIMEOUT
device=06:00.0 address=0x81b1c1e60]
[  148.015778] AMD-Vi: Completion-Wait loop timed out
[  148.187270] AMD-Vi: Completion-Wait loop timed out

(and then it seem to infinitely loop always printing that).

I tried Ubuntu 19.10 with 5.3.0-18-generic
Also Ubuntu 19.04 with 5.0.0-31-generic
Also tried with a DKMS module from 19.30 AMDGPU-PRO patched to build
and load under 5.3.0, all give the same result.

Cheers,

    Sylvain Munaut

* Re: Spontaneous reboots when using RX 560
       [not found] ` <CAHL+j0_2ir=8hHDoyqizweOUSV6XfqC-UCD15WuJ9vvptNLr0g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-10-17 14:14   ` Alex Deucher
       [not found]     ` <CADnq5_N0r8O2vQapGaary0L-OfdTdz-ezcMJK90+Gy2sPujYcw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Alex Deucher @ 2019-10-17 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Munaut; +Cc: amd-gfx list

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 10:11 AM Sylvain Munaut <246tnt@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
>
> I have RX 560 2G card. It's plugged into a 16x physical / 4x
> electrical slot of a X570 chipset motherboard with a Ryzen 3700X CPU.
> The hardware works fine and is stable under Windows (tested with
> games, benchmarks, stress-tests, ...)

Does booting with pci=noats on the kernel command line in grub fix the issue?

Alex

@ 2019-10-17 14:29       ` Sylvain Munaut
       [not found]         ` <CAHL+j08qsu1pSOZPLB9-XWw9ZmT2OamaWPBJV4T3Vzx_C8cD7g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Sylvain Munaut @ 2019-10-17 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher; +Cc: amd-gfx list

Hi,

> > I have RX 560 2G card. It's plugged into a 16x physical / 4x
> > electrical slot of a X570 chipset motherboard with a Ryzen 3700X CPU.
> > The hardware works fine and is stable under Windows (tested with
> > games, benchmarks, stress-tests, ...)
>
> Does booting with pci=noats on the kernel command line in grub fix the issue?

It doesn't :/

Message is slightly different but same idea :

[   83.704035] amdgpu 0000:06:00.0: AMD-Vi: Event logged
[IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0000 address=0x0 flags=0x0020]
[   88.732685] [drm:amdgpu_dm_commit_planes.constprop.0 [amdgpu]]
*ERROR* Waiting for fences timed out or interrupted!
[   92.074379] ixgbe 0000:04:00.1: Adapter removed
[   93.480989] igb 0000:07:00.0 enp7s0: PCIe link lost

So it screws up the PCIe very badly :/
Specifically seems to be everything connected to the X570 chipset.

Cheers,

    Sylvain

@ 2019-10-17 17:13           ` Koenig, Christian
       [not found]             ` <67658520-b3f4-d2f9-7247-dd434ab5c30b-5C7GfCeVMHo@public.gmane.org>
From: Koenig, Christian @ 2019-10-17 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Munaut, Alex Deucher; +Cc: amd-gfx list

Am 17.10.19 um 16:29 schrieb Sylvain Munaut:
> Hi,
>

>>> I have RX 560 2G card. It's plugged into a 16x physical / 4x
>>> electrical slot of a X570 chipset motherboard with a Ryzen 3700X CPU.
>>> The hardware works fine and is stable under Windows (tested with
>>> games, benchmarks, stress-tests, ...)
>> Does booting with pci=noats on the kernel command line in grub fix the issue?
> It doesn't :/
>
> Message is slightly different but same idea :
>
> [   83.704035] amdgpu 0000:06:00.0: AMD-Vi: Event logged
> [IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0000 address=0x0 flags=0x0020]
> [   88.732685] [drm:amdgpu_dm_commit_planes.constprop.0 [amdgpu]]
> *ERROR* Waiting for fences timed out or interrupted!
> [   92.074379] ixgbe 0000:04:00.1: Adapter removed
> [   93.480989] igb 0000:07:00.0 enp7s0: PCIe link lost
>
> So it screws up the PCIe very badly :/
> Specifically seems to be everything connected to the X570 chipset.

 From the hardware point of view the only thing which comes to mind is
that you somehow triggered the ESD protection.

I assume you can rule out an unstable physical connection (because it
works on windows), so the only thing left is that there is something
very very badly going wrong with power management.

Have you "tuned" the power tables on the board somehow? Or maybe
multiple GPUs connected to the same power supply?

Regards,
Christian.

@ 2019-10-17 19:08               ` Sylvain Munaut
       [not found]                 ` <CAHL+j0-Nm+6VFXi_w4iciNdG40zubpqvh1RXs3MFfXJK2mFr0Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Sylvain Munaut @ 2019-10-17 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koenig, Christian; +Cc: Alex Deucher, amd-gfx list

>  From the hardware point of view the only thing which comes to mind is
> that you somehow triggered the ESD protection.
>
> I assume you can rule out an unstable physical connection (because it
> works on windows), so the only thing left is that there is something
> very very badly going wrong with power management.
>
> Have you "tuned" the power tables on the board somehow?

Nope, not at all.

In windows, I actually had noticed that before I had installed the
Asrock utility for the card, it was staying at its lowest clock.
I had the Radeon / AMD drivers installed of course, but not the vendor
tools for the board. Once I installed that, it started automatically
going to higher power state as the load varied. And it's set to the
"default" profile.

On linux I haven't done anything. Just a fresh Ubuntu 19.10 install
with amdgpu loaded. Not sure if I have anything else to do. I'm not
even sure how to monitor the card frequency / voltage on linux.

> Or maybe multiple GPUs connected to the same power supply?

That machine has another GPU, a NVidia one in the first x16 slot. The
Nvidia GPU has a PCIe power connector going to it.
The RX 560 board (
https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Phantom%20Gaming%20Radeon%20RX560%202G/
) doesn't have any additional PCIe power input, so it gets all its
power from the PCIe slot itself.

The PC has a 650W good quality Corsair power supply, and during all
theses tests the NVidia GPU was idle (not even a xserver launched on
it or nothing), and the fan PSU didn't even spin up (it doesn't spin
if power is < 350 W), so I think it has plenty of margin.

Cheers,

    Sylvain

@ 2019-10-17 20:12                   ` Sylvain Munaut
       [not found]                     ` <CAHL+j0_=r1XBOzwiQmbZTVoRsZ5=Du3pAPd_n7pia81FegdHhw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Sylvain Munaut @ 2019-10-17 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koenig, Christian; +Cc: Alex Deucher, amd-gfx list

So a bit more testing.

I was using a bit of "unusual" config I guess, having 2 GPUs and some
other pcie cards (10G, ..).
So I simplified and went to the most standard thing I could think of,
_just_ the RX 560 card plugged into the main PCIe 16x slot directly
connected to the CPU.

And exact same results, no change in behavior.

So on one hand I'm happy that the other cards and having the AMD GPU
in the second slot isn't the issue (because I really need that config
that way), but on the other, I'm no closer to finding the issue :/

@ 2019-10-18 10:32                       ` Koenig, Christian
       [not found]                         ` <57826a9e-5842-4ddd-a456-67d1d1b9a9ce-5C7GfCeVMHo@public.gmane.org>
From: Koenig, Christian @ 2019-10-18 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Munaut; +Cc: Alex Deucher, amd-gfx list

Am 17.10.19 um 22:12 schrieb Sylvain Munaut:
> So a bit more testing.
>
> I was using a bit of "unusual" config I guess, having 2 GPUs and some
> other pcie cards (10G, ..).
> So I simplified and went to the most standard thing I could think of,
> _just_ the RX 560 card plugged into the main PCIe 16x slot directly
> connected to the CPU.
>
> And exact same results, no change in behavior.
>
> So on one hand I'm happy that the other cards and having the AMD GPU
> in the second slot isn't the issue (because I really need that config
> that way), but on the other, I'm no closer to finding the issue :/

At least you tested quite a bunch of things which I would have suggested
as well.

I would also test if disabling power features helps as well, try to add
amdgpu.pg_mask=0 and amdgpu.cg_mask=0 to the kernel command line for
example.

Regards,
Christian.

@ 2019-10-18 12:07                           ` Sylvain Munaut
       [not found]                             ` <CAHL+j0-NJ8F4RpMJ5m9_9gk_t+zhwFwVmG6MMy4TBYa4XjnWEA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Sylvain Munaut @ 2019-10-18 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koenig, Christian; +Cc: Alex Deucher, amd-gfx list

Hi Christian,

> I would also test if disabling power features helps as well, try to add
> amdgpu.pg_mask=0 and amdgpu.cg_mask=0 to the kernel command line for
> example.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Just tried this, no luck. Also tried 'runpm=0' (but apparently that's
for laptop only so ...)

Even with cg_mask=0, I still see this in amdgpu_pm_info, not sure if
that's expected of if somehow the option was ignored ?

----
Clock Gating Flags Mask: 0x16b00
        Graphics Medium Grain Clock Gating: Off
        Graphics Medium Grain memory Light Sleep: Off
        Graphics Coarse Grain Clock Gating: Off
        Graphics Coarse Grain memory Light Sleep: Off
        Graphics Coarse Grain Tree Shader Clock Gating: Off
        Graphics Coarse Grain Tree Shader Light Sleep: Off
        Graphics Command Processor Light Sleep: Off
        Graphics Run List Controller Light Sleep: Off
        Graphics 3D Coarse Grain Clock Gating: Off
        Graphics 3D Coarse Grain memory Light Sleep: Off
        Memory Controller Light Sleep: On
        Memory Controller Medium Grain Clock Gating: On
        System Direct Memory Access Light Sleep: Off
        System Direct Memory Access Medium Grain Clock Gating: On
        Bus Interface Medium Grain Clock Gating: Off
        Bus Interface Light Sleep: Off
        Unified Video Decoder Medium Grain Clock Gating: On
        Video Compression Engine Medium Grain Clock Gating: On
        Host Data Path Light Sleep: Off
        Host Data Path Medium Grain Clock Gating: On
        Digital Right Management Medium Grain Clock Gating: Off
        Digital Right Management Light Sleep: Off
        Rom Medium Grain Clock Gating: Off
        Data Fabric Medium Grain Clock Gating: Off
        Address Translation Hub Medium Grain Clock Gating: Off
        Address Translation Hub Light Sleep: Off

GFX Clocks and Power:
        300 MHz (MCLK)
        214 MHz (SCLK)
        387 MHz (PSTATE_SCLK)
        625 MHz (PSTATE_MCLK)
        775 mV (VDDGFX)
        7.254 W (average GPU)

GPU Temperature: 34 C
GPU Load: 0 %
MEM Load: 6 %

UVD: Disabled

VCE: Disabled
----

I'm not really sure what to try next. I unfortunately don't have
access to any other card or any other motherboard I could use to test
:/
(Or anything fancy like pcie bus analyzer or stuff like that).

My understanding of the first error message that shows up is that the
card itself tries to make an access to a memory zone it's not allowed
to right ?

@ 2019-10-18 13:42                               ` Alex Deucher
       [not found]                                 ` <CADnq5_MTYe5z0gbtY0eCnUax2D=HZYBQF7YWPS86pikDXGVWOA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Alex Deucher @ 2019-10-18 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Munaut; +Cc: Koenig, Christian, amd-gfx list

Does disabling the IOMMU help?  E.g., append IOMMU=off or IOMMU=pt on

@ 2019-10-18 14:35                                   ` Sylvain Munaut
       [not found]                                     ` <CAHL+j0_Dn9VZ7CN-yaaFP4kk39gWTKu4fLZ6SN4Dj17e2z+4RQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Sylvain Munaut @ 2019-10-18 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher; +Cc: Koenig, Christian, amd-gfx list

Hi Alex,

> Does disabling the IOMMU help?  E.g., append IOMMU=off or IOMMU=pt on
> the kernel command line in grub.

Good suggestion, I should have tried that earlier, unfortunately it
doesn't change anything :/

I tried both independently and also combining with pci=noats and cg/pg
mask=0. Same behavior.
The actual message in dmesg vary slightly but same idea. Here's the
two most unique ones :

[  122.525452] gmc_v8_0_process_interrupt: 14 callbacks suppressed
[  122.525456] amdgpu 0000:06:00.0: GPU fault detected: 146 0x0140440c
for process gnome-shell pid 2069 thread gnome-shel:cs0 pid 2084
[  122.525459] amdgpu 0000:06:00.0:
VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_ADDR   0x00000028
[  122.525460] amdgpu 0000:06:00.0:
VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_STATUS 0x0E04400C
[  122.525462] amdgpu 0000:06:00.0: VM fault (0x0c, vmid 7, pasid
32770) at page 40, read from 'TC1' (0x54433100) (68)
[  127.745969] [drm:amdgpu_dm_commit_planes.constprop.0 [amdgpu]]
*ERROR* Waiting for fences timed out or interrupted!
[  129.675374] clocksource: timekeeping watchdog on CPU0: Marking
clocksource 'tsc' as unstable because the skew is too large:
[  129.675377] clocksource:                       'hpet' wd_now:
6ef9849c wd_last: 6dd444eb mask: ffffffff
[  129.675377] clocksource:                       'tsc' cs_now:
10c4a3c5c88 cs_last: 10b779feadc mask: ffffffffffffffff
[  129.675378] tsc: Marking TSC unstable due to clocksource watchdog
[  130.480703] igb 0000:07:00.0 enp7s0: PCIe link lost

The above was with "iommu=off pci=noats amdgpu.cg_mask=0 amdgpu.pg_mask=0"

I also saw this stack trace with iommu=pt :

[   89.211541] [drm:amdgpu_dm_commit_planes.constprop.0 [amdgpu]]
*ERROR* Waiting for fences timed out or interrupted!
[   89.463287] invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] SMP NOPTI
[   89.463292] CPU: 1 PID: 1647 Comm: InputThread Tainted: P
OE     5.3.0-18-generic #19-Ubuntu
[   89.463294] Hardware name: To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By
O.E.M./X570 Pro4, BIOS P1.70 09/10/2019
[   89.463383] RIP: 0010:amdgpu_dm_atomic_check+0x63c/0x6c0 [amdgpu]
[   89.463385] Code: 8d 78 f0 49 39 c5 0f 85 0a fb ff ff e9 5c fb ff
ff 41 89 c4 e9 ec fe ff ff 41 89 c4 e9 14 f0 9e 00 44 85 ff 0f 85 b8
fd ff ce <d4> b0 1c 10 02 24 84 00 ff ff ff 00 8b 90 c0 48 89 b0 e8 7d
eb 19
[   89.463387] RSP: 0018:ffffa4d001adf9c0 EFLAGS: 00010246
[   89.463389] RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: 0000000000000000 RCX: 0000000000000000
[   89.463391] RDX: 00000000000009f6 RSI: ffff8e45de670140 RDI: 0000000000030140
[   89.463392] RBP: ffffa4d001adfa20 R08: ffff8e45b78adc00 R09: 0000000000000000
[   89.463393] R10: ffff8e45d8270000 R11: ffff8e45da49d000 R12: 0000000000000000
[   89.463394] R13: ffff8e45d8270000 R14: ffff8e45cb4f2480 R15: 0000000000000000
[   89.463396] FS:  00007fbd627fc700(0000) GS:ffff8e45de640000(0000)
knlGS:0000000000000000
[   89.463397] CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
[   89.463399] CR2: 000055f405646450 CR3: 0000000811268000 CR4: 0000000000340ee0
[   89.463400] Call Trace:
[   89.463420]  drm_atomic_check_only+0x2d6/0x3d0 [drm]
[   89.463433]  drm_atomic_commit+0x18/0x50 [drm]
[   89.463443]  drm_atomic_helper_update_plane+0xea/0x100 [drm_kms_helper]
[   89.463457]  __setplane_atomic+0xcb/0x110 [drm]
[   89.463470]  drm_mode_cursor_universal+0x140/0x260 [drm]
[   89.463484]  drm_mode_cursor_common+0xcc/0x220 [drm]
[   89.463496]  ? drm_mode_setplane+0x2b0/0x2b0 [drm]
[   89.463507]  drm_mode_cursor_ioctl+0x4a/0x60 [drm]
[   89.463519]  drm_ioctl_kernel+0xae/0xf0 [drm]
[   89.463531]  drm_ioctl+0x234/0x3d0 [drm]
[   89.463542]  ? drm_mode_setplane+0x2b0/0x2b0 [drm]
[   89.463548]  ? _copy_to_user+0x2c/0x30
[   89.463551]  ? input_event_to_user+0x42/0xa0
[   89.463604]  amdgpu_drm_ioctl+0x4e/0x80 [amdgpu]
[   89.463608]  do_vfs_ioctl+0x407/0x670
[   89.463611]  ? __vfs_read+0x1b/0x40
[   89.463613]  ? vfs_read+0xab/0x160
[   89.463616]  ksys_ioctl+0x67/0x90
[   89.463619]  __x64_sys_ioctl+0x1a/0x20
[   89.463622]  do_syscall_64+0x5a/0x130
[   89.463625]  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xa9
[   89.463627] RIP: 0033:0x7fbe0550667b
[   89.463629] Code: 0f 1e fa 48 8b 05 15 28 0d 00 64 c7 00 26 00 00
00 48 c7 c0 ff ff ff ff c3 66 0f 1f 44 00 00 f3 0f 1e fa b8 10 00 00
00 0f 05 <48> 3d 01 f0 ff ff 73 01 c3 48 8b 0d e5 27 0d 00 f7 d8 64 89
01 48
[   89.463631] RSP: 002b:00007fbd627fa2d8 EFLAGS: 00003246 ORIG_RAX:
0000000000000010
[   89.463632] RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 00007fbd627fa310 RCX: 00007fbe0550667b
[   89.463634] RDX: 00007fbd627fa310 RSI: 00000000c01c64a3 RDI: 000000000000000d
[   89.463635] RBP: 00000000c01c64a3 R08: 000000000000002a R09: 0000000000000001
[   89.463636] R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000003246 R12: 000055d1b53bd790
[   89.463637] R13: 000000000000000d R14: 000000000000002e R15: 000000000000057a
[   89.463641] Modules linked in: edac_mce_amd kvm_amd binfmt_misc
nls_iso8859_1 kvm irqbypass nvidia_uvm(OE) snd_hda_codec_generic
ledtrig_audio crct10dif_pclmul snd_hda_codec_hdmi crc32_pclmul
nvidia_drm(POE) amdgpu nvidia_modeset(POE) snd_hda_intel snd_seq_midi
ghash_clmulni_intel nvidia(POE) aesni_intel snd_hda_codec
snd_seq_midi_event snd_hda_core aes_x86_64 snd_rawmidi amd_iommu_v2
crypto_simd gpu_sched cryptd joydev input_leds wmi_bmof snd_hwdep
snd_seq glue_helper ttm snd_pcm ucsi_ccg drm_kms_helper typec_ucsi
snd_seq_device typec drm ccp ipmi_devintf snd_timer ipmi_msghandler
snd fb_sys_fops syscopyarea sysfillrect sysimgblt soundcore mac_hid
sch_fq_codel nct6775 hwmon_vid parport_pc ppdev lp parport ip_tables
x_tables autofs4 hid_logitech_hidpp hid_logitech_dj hid_generic usbhid
hid ixgbe i2c_piix4 igb nvme ahci i2c_nvidia_gpu libahci xfrm_algo
i2c_algo_bit nvme_core dca mdio wmi
[   89.463704] ---[ end trace 455cf9a155c384cb ]---

The "To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By O.E.M./" really inspires
confidence ...

@ 2019-10-19  9:37                                       ` Sylvain Munaut
       [not found]                                         ` <CAHL+j08BgqmOoQHnsfE3xtZFsz14cOZ=Xui3o7mENJd3Fq0z0g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Sylvain Munaut @ 2019-10-19  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher; +Cc: Koenig, Christian, amd-gfx list

Just in case there was any doubt, seems OpenCL workload crashes the
card just as hard.
(That was the AMDGPU-Pro OpenCL lib, legacy version.  Can't get PAL to
detect the card at all)

Cheers,

     Sylvain

@ 2019-10-19 23:41                                           ` Sylvain Munaut
       [not found]                                             ` <CAHL+j0-E83G4+xYDcJ2xB2abF9DXA78CXfP9LrVVktTmvsBYvg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Sylvain Munaut @ 2019-10-19 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher; +Cc: Koenig, Christian, amd-gfx list

Finally some progress !

I found a thread with a couple of people having the same symptoms as I
do ( [1] ), and interestingly that was with the same brand & model of
card.
Although there is no solution, there is a work around that works :

echo -n low  > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level

Then the card seems stable. At least I was able to get through an
entire GL benchmark and also a bunch of CL tests without crashing. (By
default it crashes nearly instantly).
Of course the card is slow but it's better than nothing and maybe
gives a clue to a solution ?

Following some advice on IRC, I also tried setting it to "high". This
doesn't crash immediately when doing that and the display stays fine
and I can move window and light stuff, but trying to actually run GL
or CL stuff and it then crashes.

I also dumped the Power Play tables, see [2]. I can't really
understand them, there is definitely some weird values, but not sure
if that's normal or not.

As I noted earlier in the thread, when I first used the card on
windows, using just AMD's driver the card was stuck at its lowest
clock rate and performed poorly in benchmark. It was only after I
loaded Asrock's own tweak utility that the card started to auto adapt
its clock / voltages.  Not sure if there is a way to dump windows
power play config ?

Cheers,

   Sylvain

[1] https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/open-source-amd-linux/1112121-rx-560-crash-under-light-load
[2] https://pastebin.com/raw/uWh6WLmh

@ 2019-10-22 11:01                                               ` Sylvain Munaut
       [not found]                                                 ` <CAHL+j0-D=AX7==2RRTXDaKEQwid8x817XO-upaDmCemMpvEF6Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Sylvain Munaut @ 2019-10-22 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher; +Cc: Koenig, Christian, amd-gfx list

Hi All,

More testing over the last few days showed that only either the lowest
power mode, or slightly above can work. Oh, I also tested 5.4-rc3 just
in case but same results.
It doesn't seem to be the affected by PCIe lane speed, Memory seems
stable at 625M and almost at 1500M (only the sustained heavy workload
eventually bring it down), but the SoC speed seems pretty touchy.

So that would seem to confirm something is wrong either in the power
play table itself, or its interpretation by the linux driver.
I tried brute-loading some other RX570 pptable into it, but that
didn't really do much. After writing it to pp_table, the card was
stuck at its lower clock mode. Working fine, but same as if I had
forced it to low power.

Is there anyway to extract the power play table from windows since
it's running fine there ?
I'm kind of running out of idea of what to try next.

Cheers,

    Sylvain

* Re: Spontaneous reboots when using RX 560
@ 2019-10-24 16:55                                                     ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2019-10-24 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Munaut; +Cc: Koenig, Christian, amd-gfx list

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 7:01 AM Sylvain Munaut <246tnt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> More testing over the last few days showed that only either the lowest
> power mode, or slightly above can work. Oh, I also tested 5.4-rc3 just
> in case but same results.
> It doesn't seem to be the affected by PCIe lane speed, Memory seems
> stable at 625M and almost at 1500M (only the sustained heavy workload
> eventually bring it down), but the SoC speed seems pretty touchy.
>
> So that would seem to confirm something is wrong either in the power
> play table itself, or its interpretation by the linux driver.
> I tried brute-loading some other RX570 pptable into it, but that
> didn't really do much. After writing it to pp_table, the card was
> stuck at its lower clock mode. Working fine, but same as if I had
> forced it to low power.
>
> Is there anyway to extract the power play table from windows since
> it's running fine there ?
> I'm kind of running out of idea of what to try next.

Can you send me a copy of the vbios from that board?

(as root)
(use lspci to get the bus id)
cd /sys/bus/pci/devices/<pci bus id>
echo 1 > rom
cat rom > /tmp/vbios.rom
echo 0 > rom

From: Alex Deucher @ 2019-10-24 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Munaut; +Cc: Koenig, Christian, amd-gfx list

@ 2019-10-24 17:33                                                         ` Sylvain Munaut
From: Sylvain Munaut @ 2019-10-24 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher; +Cc: Koenig, Christian, amd-gfx list

Hi,

> Can you send me a copy of the vbios from that board?
>
> (as root)
> (use lspci to get the bus id)
> cd /sys/bus/pci/devices/<pci bus id>
> echo 1 > rom
> cat rom > /tmp/vbios.rom
> echo 0 > rom

Sure, sent as private message.

Also, I got hold of a RX570 from another vendor and tested that. Works
fine, no crash even during stress tests / benchmarks.

Cheers,

    Sylvain

From: Sylvain Munaut @ 2019-10-24 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher; +Cc: Koenig, Christian, amd-gfx list

Hi,

@ 2019-10-29 13:43                                                         ` Sylvain Munaut
From: Sylvain Munaut @ 2019-10-29 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher; +Cc: Koenig, Christian, amd-gfx list

Hi Alex,

> Can you send me a copy of the vbios from that board?

Did you get a chance to look at the bios see if you can find anything
interesting in it ?
(I guess you need some special tools for that, I'm not sure how I'd
find anything in there myself).

After a couple of back and forth with AsRock support they basically
just want me to return the card to get another one which I'm pretty
sure isn't going to accomplish anything except for wasting 1 or 2
weeks shipping stuff around ...

Cheers,

    Sylvain

From: Sylvain Munaut @ 2019-10-29 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)