* --help for git commands
@ 2022-04-24  6:18 Dorian Marié
From: Dorian Marié @ 2022-04-24  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

I think it would be nice to have a simple help like other programs do
when doing `git [subcommand] --help` or `git [subcommand] -h`.

It would be a short version of the manual.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Dorian

* Re: --help for git commands
@ 2022-04-25  6:22 ` Shaoxuan Yuan
From: Shaoxuan Yuan @ 2022-04-25  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dorian Marié; +Cc: git

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 2:26 PM Dorian Marié <dorian@dorianmarie.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it would be nice to have a simple help like other programs do
> when doing `git [subcommand] --help` or `git [subcommand] -h`.
>
> It would be a short version of the manual.

I think we do have a "simple help like other programs do".

You will get the git manual page for a command, for example, git-add,
with one of the followings:

`git add --help`
`git help add`
`man git-add`

Or, you can get a "short version of the manual", i.e. usage string, using this:

`git add -h`

--
Thanks & Regards,
Shaoxuan

* Re: --help for git commands
@ 2022-04-25 13:55   ` Philip Oakley
From: Philip Oakley @ 2022-04-25 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shaoxuan Yuan, Dorian Marié; +Cc: git

Hi Dorian
On 25/04/2022 07:22, Shaoxuan Yuan wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 2:26 PM Dorian Marié <dorian@dorianmarie.fr> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think it would be nice to have a simple help like other programs do
>> when doing `git [subcommand] --help` or `git [subcommand] -h`.
>>
>> It would be a short version of the manual.
> I think we do have a "simple help like other programs do".
>
> You will get the git manual page for a command, for example, git-add,
> with one of the followings:
>
> `git add --help`
> `git help add`
> `man git-add`
>
> Or, you can get a "short version of the manual", i.e. usage string, using this:
>
> `git add -h`

The `-h` option is listed in the command line interpreter (cli) guide
`git help cli`
and the help command is listed via the `git help help`, which also notes
the `git help git` method for getting git's own help/man page.

All part of the many 'obvious in retrospect' parts of Git ;-)

Philip