From: Matheus Tavares Bernardino <matheus.bernardino@usp.br>
To: Elijah Newren <newren@gmail.com>
Cc: Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>,
Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2021, #01; Wed, 6)
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2021 19:29:08 -0300	[thread overview]

Hi, Elijah

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 3:21 PM Elijah Newren <newren@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Junio (& Matheus),
>
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 5:41 AM Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com> wrote:
> > * mt/grep-sparse-checkout (2020-12-06) 10 commits
> >  - t7817: do not depend on any specific default branch name
> >  - config: add setting to ignore sparsity patterns in some cmds
> >  - grep: honor sparse checkout patterns
> >  - config: correctly read worktree configs in submodules
> >  - config: make do_git_config_sequence receive a 'struct repository'
> >  - t/helper/test-config: unify exit labels
> >  - t/helper/test-config: diagnose missing arguments
> >  - t/helper/test-config: be consistent with exit codes
> >  - t1308-config-set: avoid false positives when using test-config
> >  - doc: grep: unify info on configuration variables
> >  (this branch is used by mt/rm-sparse-checkout.)
> >
> >  "git grep" has been tweaked to be limited to the sparse checkout
> >  paths.
> >

> > * mt/rm-sparse-checkout (2020-12-08) 1 commit
> >  - rm: honor sparse checkout patterns
> >  (this branch uses mt/grep-sparse-checkout.)
> >
> >  "git rm" follows suit to "git grep" to ignore paths outside the
> >  sparsity pattern when the sparse checkout feature is in use.
> >
> >  Need to wait for how these fit in larger picture.
> >  cf. <CABPp-BGMX3wb7LiS1HkJpGveoW3J1oR0vVHbKTF5+qYLRF+59g@mail.gmail.com>
>
> Larger picture provided last week[1].  I would now say that:
>   * mt/rm-sparse-checkout needs some small changes (Matheus: I'm happy
> to tweak the patch and add a Helped-by: Elijah to it if you want me to
> push those changes)
>   * the bug fix part of mt/grep-sparse-checkout could possibly be
> broken out and merged now (Matheus: similar question here...do you
> want help with this?)

Thank you. I would really appreciate the help :)

>   * the other parts of mt/grep-sparse-checkout should probably wait
> off based on Stollee's sparse-index work mentioned later in that
> thread

Do we want to also pull out the fix to correctly read worktree configs
from submodules and the improvements to test-config? I.e. these
patches:

- config: correctly read worktree configs in submodules
- config: make do_git_config_sequence receive a 'struct repository'
- t/helper/test-config: unify exit labels
- t/helper/test-config: diagnose missing arguments
- t/helper/test-config: be consistent with exit codes
- t1308-config-set: avoid false positives when using test-config
- doc: grep: unify info on configuration variables

These are unrelated to sparse-checkout, and I think they might be
worthy on their own. (Although IIRC, the last version of "config:
correctly read worktree configs in submodules" didn't get any reviews
yet.)

> (Matheus: I'm so sorry we've delayed your series for so long.
> I feel bad.  But Stollee is proposing some rather big changes that
> could significantly affect this and several other things.)

Don't worry :) I understand that waiting off is the best approach, and
it should lead us to a more solid/consistent design later.