* Qemu does not like kexec initrd
@ 2022-03-16 10:57 Tobias Powalowski
From: Tobias Powalowski @ 2022-03-16 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kexec

Hi
I just discovered this:
https://githubhot.com/repo/talos-systems/talos/issues/4947
I also suffer from this in my project:
ZSTD-data is corrupt error on qemu.
Is there a fix or workaround for this issue?

greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski
Arch Linux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
tpowa at archlinux.org

St. Martin-Apotheke
Herzog-Georg-Str. 25
89415 Lauingen
https://www.st-martin-apo.de
info at st-martin-apo.de

* Qemu does not like kexec initrd
@ 2022-03-16 11:37 ` Baoquan He
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Baoquan He @ 2022-03-16 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kexec

Cc Tao,

On 03/16/22 at 11:57am, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
> Hi
> I just discovered this:
> https://githubhot.com/repo/talos-systems/talos/issues/4947
> I also suffer from this in my project:
> ZSTD-data is corrupt error on qemu.
> Is there a fix or workaround for this issue?

Hi Tao,

Did you ever met this when you introduce zstd to kexec/kdump?

Thanks
Baoquan

@ 2022-03-16 12:55   ` Tobias Powalowski
From: Tobias Powalowski @ 2022-03-16 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kexec

Hi,
lzma is also affected, gzip works.
Will test now xz.
greetings
tpowa

tpowa at archlinux.org

St. Martin-Apotheke
Herzog-Georg-Str. 25
89415 Lauingen
https://www.st-martin-apo.de
info at st-martin-apo.de

* Qemu does not like kexec initrd
@ 2022-03-16 13:45   ` Tobias Powalowski
From: Tobias Powalowski @ 2022-03-16 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kexec

Hi,
here the result of my tests with qemu:
zstd is broken
xz --check=crc32 is broken
lz4 -l works
gzip works
Is there a bugtracker to report this or only this ML?
Thanks for your help.

tpowa at archlinux.org

St. Martin-Apotheke
Herzog-Georg-Str. 25
89415 Lauingen
https://www.st-martin-apo.de
info at st-martin-apo.de

* Qemu does not like kexec initrd
@ 2022-03-16 13:57   ` Tao Liu
From: Tao Liu @ 2022-03-16 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kexec

Hi Baoquan,

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 7:38 PM Baoquan He <bhe@redhat.com> wrote:

> Cc Tao,
>
> On 03/16/22 at 11:57am, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
> > Hi
> > I just discovered this:
> > https://githubhot.com/repo/talos-systems/talos/issues/4947
> > I also suffer from this in my project:
> > ZSTD-data is corrupt error on qemu.
> > Is there a fix or workaround for this issue?
>
> Hi Tao,
>
> Did you ever met this when you introduce zstd to kexec/kdump?

No, I haven't encountered this issue before.

Thanks,
Tao Liu

@ 2022-03-16 14:10     ` Tobias Powalowski
From: Tobias Powalowski @ 2022-03-16 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kexec

Hi,
Do you need anything from my side?
Test files?
Test system is latest Arch Linux with qemu 6.2.0
greetings
tpowa

tpowa at archlinux.org

St. Martin-Apotheke
Herzog-Georg-Str. 25
89415 Lauingen
https://www.st-martin-apo.de
info at st-martin-apo.de

* Qemu does not like kexec initrd
@ 2022-03-16 14:18       ` Tao Liu
       [not found]         ` <CAHfPjO8ayenR7Q0JX00if1yHwq_Uy1N27=KtRAizqja-94D-kQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Tao Liu @ 2022-03-16 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kexec

Hi Tobias,

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 10:10 PM Tobias Powalowski
<tobias.powalowski@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Do you need anything from my side?
> Test files?
> Test system is latest Arch Linux with qemu 6.2.0
> greetings
> tpowa

Could you briefly introduce your test steps please? I will try to reproduce it.

Thanks,
Tao Liu

@ 2022-03-17  8:33           ` Tao Liu
From: Tao Liu @ 2022-03-17  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kexec

Hi Tobias,

The kernel you provided is not an upstream kernel, which contains
distribution specific modification, as well as the kexec. Since you
are reporting an issue to the upstream, I suggest you:

1) re-run your tests against the upstream code, instead of
distribution specific code.
2) if the issue still persists, you can report the issue to upstream,
as well as the detailed log information, such as:
    what is the log message?
    who prints the log message, qemu? kernel? kexec?
    what is the behaviour when the error occurs? kernel panic? error
logs? qemu crash?
For your case, Loading zstd initrd will cause an error(what error? who
prints the error?) ZSTD-data is corrupt error on qemu(how do you know
the data is corrupt? what attempts did you make?).

Please note upstream is not responsible for the distribution specific issues.

Thanks,
Tao Liu

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 10:33 PM Tobias Powalowski

@ 2022-03-17  8:45             ` Tobias Powalowski
From: Tobias Powalowski @ 2022-03-17  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kexec

Hi,
Which upstream code?
Arch Linux kernel is upstream
Qemu is upstream
- Kernel message prints the error
greetings
tpowa

tpowa at archlinux.org

St. Martin-Apotheke
Herzog-Georg-Str. 25
89415 Lauingen
https://www.st-martin-apo.de
info at st-martin-apo.de

* Qemu does not like kexec initrd
@ 2022-03-17 10:04               ` Tobias Powalowski
From: Tobias Powalowski @ 2022-03-17 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kexec

Hi,
after doing tests with initrds, it seems the error on kernel message
is wrong, the ZSTD archive is fine and decompression is not faulty.
For what's it worth for, the shown error is wrong. All works as expected.
greetings
tpowa

Am Do., 17. M?rz 2022 um 09:45 Uhr schrieb Tobias Powalowski

tpowa at archlinux.org

St. Martin-Apotheke
Herzog-Georg-Str. 25
89415 Lauingen