All of lore.kernel.org
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
To: Bjorn Andersson <bjorn.andersson@linaro.org>
Cc: Ohad Ben-Cohen <ohad@wizery.com>,
	linux-remoteproc@vger.kernel.org,
	Mathieu Poirier <mathieu.poirier@linaro.org>,
	Peng Fan <peng.fan@nxp.com>,
	Govind Singh <govinds@codeaurora.org>,
	Wei Yongjun <weiyongjun1@huawei.com>, Suman Anna <s-anna@ti.com>,
	Arnaud Pouliquen <arnaud.pouliquen@foss.st.com>,
	Manivannan Sadhasivam <mani@kernel.org>,
	Jindong Yue <jindong.yue@nxp.com>,
	Junlin Yang <yangjunlin@yulong.com>,
	Raghavendra Rao Ananta <rananta@codeaurora.org>,
	Yang Li <yang.lee@linux.alibaba.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] remoteproc updates for v5.13
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 11:22:25 -0700	[thread overview]

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 8:03 AM Bjorn Andersson
<bjorn.andersson@linaro.org> wrote:

> This adds support to the remoteproc core for detaching Linux from a
> running remoteproc, e.g. to reboot Linux while leaving the remoteproc
> running, and it enable this support in the stm32 remoteproc driver.

Honestly, when explaining new functionality like this, it would be
lovely to also give an example of the _why_, not just the what.

Ie, some concrete example of "this is useful to have the remoteproc
continue scanning wireless networks" or whatever.

I'm sure there's some actual use-case for this all, but neither the
pull request nor the individual commits seem to actually explain that
"why", only the "what".

I've pulled this, but hope that these kinds of issues can be explained
better.. I think a lot of people care more about "why" than some
implementation detail "what" cases.

              Linus