All of lore.kernel.org
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
Subject: 30 years since the Linux 0.01 release
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 13:02:58 -0700	[thread overview]

This is just a random note to let people know that today is actually
one of the core 30-year anniversary dates: 0.01 was uploaded Sept 17,
1991.

Now, that 0.01 release was never publicly announced, and I only
emailed a handful of people in private about the upload (and I don't
have old emails from those days), so there's no real record of that.
The only record of the date is in the Linux-0.01 tar-file itself, I
suspect.

Alas, the dates in that tar-file are for the last modification dates,
not the actual creation of the tar-file, but it does seem to have
happened around 7:30pm (Finnish time), so the exact anniversary was
technically a couple of hours ago.

Just thought I'd mention it, since while unannounced, in many ways
this is the true 30th anniversary date of the actual code.

                Linus