On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 4:10 PM Herbert Xu wrote: > > The quoting on "!" doesn't help I'm afraid. Even though [ is a > built-in it is not allowed to look at the quoting because it's > supposed to behave in the same way whether you get the builtin [ > or the one from /usr/bin. > > So when it gets the expression the quoting on the "!" has already > been removed. Oh Gods, that's truly disgusting. But I guess from a historical perspective, it actually makes a nasty kind of horrible sense. What a crock. Oh well. We had the workaround already, so it's not like this causes any heartache aside from "shell is even worse than most people can imagine". Linus