* mainline build failure due to 6fdd2077ec03 ("drm/amd/amdgpu: add memory training support for PSP_V13")
@ 2022-08-04  7:34 ` Sudip Mukherjee (Codethink)
From: Sudip Mukherjee (Codethink) @ 2022-08-04  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chengming Gui, Alex Deucher, Hawking Zhang
  Cc: Christian König, Pan, Xinhui, David Airlie, Daniel Vetter,
	amd-gfx, dri-devel, linux-kernel, Linus Torvalds

Hi All,

The latest mainline kernel branch fails to build for alpha and mips
allmodconfig with the error:

drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/psp_v13_0.c: In function 'psp_v13_0_memory_training':
drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/psp_v13_0.c:534:23: error: implicit declaration of function 'vmalloc'; did you mean 'kvmalloc'? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  534 |                 buf = vmalloc(sz);
      |                       ^~~~~~~
      |                       kvmalloc
drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/psp_v13_0.c:534:21: error: assignment to 'void *' from 'int' makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Werror=int-conversion]
  534 |                 buf = vmalloc(sz);
      |                     ^
drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/psp_v13_0.c:545:33: error: implicit declaration of function 'vfree'; did you mean 'kvfree'? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  545 |                                 vfree(buf);
      |                                 ^~~~~
      |                                 kvfree

git bisect pointed to 6fdd2077ec03 ("drm/amd/amdgpu: add memory training support for PSP_V13").

And, reverting that commit has fixed the build failure.

I will be happy to test any patch or provide any extra log if needed.

--
Regards
Sudip

From: Sudip Mukherjee (Codethink) @ 2022-08-04  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chengming Gui, Alex Deucher, Hawking Zhang
  Cc: David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, linux-kernel, dri-devel, amd-gfx,
	Linus Torvalds, Christian König

From: Sudip Mukherjee (Codethink) @ 2022-08-04  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chengming Gui, Alex Deucher, Hawking Zhang
  Cc: David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, linux-kernel, dri-devel, amd-gfx,
	Daniel Vetter, Linus Torvalds, Christian König

Hi All,

The latest mainline kernel branch fails to build for alpha and mips
allmodconfig with the error:

drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/psp_v13_0.c: In function 'psp_v13_0_memory_training':
drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/psp_v13_0.c:534:23: error: implicit declaration of function 'vmalloc'; did you mean 'kvmalloc'? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  534 |                 buf = vmalloc(sz);
      |                       ^~~~~~~
      |                       kvmalloc
drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/psp_v13_0.c:534:21: error: assignment to 'void *' from 'int' makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Werror=int-conversion]
  534 |                 buf = vmalloc(sz);
      |                     ^
drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/psp_v13_0.c:545:33: error: implicit declaration of function 'vfree'; did you mean 'kvfree'? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  545 |                                 vfree(buf);
      |                                 ^~~~~
      |                                 kvfree

git bisect pointed to 6fdd2077ec03 ("drm/amd/amdgpu: add memory training support for PSP_V13").

And, reverting that commit has fixed the build failure.

I will be happy to test any patch or provide any extra log if needed.

--
Regards
Sudip

* Re: mainline build failure due to 6fdd2077ec03 ("drm/amd/amdgpu: add memory training support for PSP_V13")
  (?)
@ 2022-08-04 17:17   ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2022-08-04 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sudip Mukherjee (Codethink)
  Cc: Chengming Gui, Alex Deucher, Hawking Zhang, Christian König,
	Pan, Xinhui, David Airlie, Daniel Vetter, amd-gfx, dri-devel,
	linux-kernel

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 12:35 AM Sudip Mukherjee (Codethink)
<sudipm.mukherjee@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will be happy to test any patch or provide any extra log if needed.

It sounds like that file just needs to get a

    #include <linux/vmalloc.h>

there, and for some reason architectures other than alpha and mips end
up getting it accidentally through other headers.

Mind testing just adding that header file, and perhaps even sending a
patch if (when) that works for you?

                    Linus

From: Linus Torvalds @ 2022-08-04 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sudip Mukherjee (Codethink)
  Cc: Chengming Gui, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, linux-kernel, amd-gfx,
	dri-devel, Alex Deucher, Christian König, Hawking Zhang

From: Linus Torvalds @ 2022-08-04 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sudip Mukherjee (Codethink)
  Cc: Chengming Gui, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, linux-kernel, amd-gfx,
	dri-devel, Daniel Vetter, Alex Deucher, Christian König,
	Hawking Zhang

@ 2022-08-04 18:06     ` Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2022-08-04 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Chengming Gui, Alex Deucher, Hawking Zhang, Christian König,
	Pan, Xinhui, David Airlie, Daniel Vetter, amd-gfx mailing list,
	dri-devel, linux-kernel

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 6:17 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 12:35 AM Sudip Mukherjee (Codethink)
> <sudipm.mukherjee@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I will be happy to test any patch or provide any extra log if needed.
>
> It sounds like that file just needs to get a
>
>     #include <linux/vmalloc.h>
>
> there, and for some reason architectures other than alpha and mips end
> up getting it accidentally through other headers.
>
> Mind testing just adding that header file, and perhaps even sending a
> patch if (when) that works for you?

Tested on alpha allmodconfig, that worked.
And also sent the patch.

From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2022-08-04 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Chengming Gui, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, linux-kernel,
	amd-gfx mailing list, dri-devel, Alex Deucher,

From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2022-08-04 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Chengming Gui, David Airlie, Pan, Xinhui, linux-kernel,
	amd-gfx mailing list, dri-devel, Daniel Vetter, Alex Deucher,