* [bmcweb] Device Level Logging Services
@ 2021-05-26 20:50 Willy Tu
From: Willy Tu @ 2021-05-26 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist; +Cc: Ed Tanous, Derek Chan, Nan Zhou, Rui Zhang

Hi all,

Main discussion:
https://lore.kernel.org/openbmc/CAHwn2XknKWyv6Bsq48tkvA52rHKZRFoEJgUuZUmMj6uZb584JQ@mail.gmail.com/
(a
bit outdated)

This will be a sub-thread about logging services that will be used to
support Drive (and could support others).

For bmcweb, I am wondering if we can support custom logging services other
than the static ones that we have in
https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/redfish-core/lib/log_services.hpp
.

I am thinking about supporting custom log service at a device level that
can be exported by different hardwares log entries that are more specific.
Then at each device resource can link  the Status.Condition to
the LogEntries.

Initial Idea,

For example, I want to have log entries for Drive devices.

ComputerSystemId could still be system or bmc and the Redfish endpoint will
be something like.

```
/redfish/v1/Systems/system/LogServices/Drive0LogService/Entries
```

On the D-bus side, the service exporting the log can add log entry
<https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/master/xyz/openbmc_project/Logging/Entry.interface.yaml>
 under.

We can have
```
/xyz/openbmc_project/logging/device/drive_0
|__/xyz/openbmc_project/logging/device/drive_0/entry/...
```

We can parse the `xyz.openbmc_project.ObjectMapper` at
`/xyz/openbmc_project/logging/device` with depth of 1 to get all the new
device log services and so on.

Please let me know if there are any questions about it. If no one is
against it, I'll work on implementing it.

Best,

Willy Tu

Best,

Willy Tu

* Re: [bmcweb] Device Level Logging Services
@ 2021-05-26 22:12 ` Bills, Jason M
From: Bills, Jason M @ 2021-05-26 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 5/26/2021 1:50 PM, Willy Tu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Main discussion:
> https://lore.kernel.org/openbmc/CAHwn2XknKWyv6Bsq48tkvA52rHKZRFoEJgUuZUmMj6uZb584JQ@mail.gmail.com/ (a
> bit outdated)
>
> This will be a sub-thread about logging services that will be used to
> support Drive (and could support others).
>
> For bmcweb, I am wondering if we can support custom logging services
> other than the static ones that we have in
> https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/redfish-core/lib/log_services.hpp.
>
> I am thinking about supporting custom log service at a device level that
> can be exported by different hardwares log entries that are more
> specific. Then at each device resource can link  the Status.Condition to
> the LogEntries.
>
> Initial Idea,
>
> For example, I want to have log entries for Drive devices.
>
> ComputerSystemId could still be system or bmc and the Redfish
> endpoint will be something like.
>
> ```
> /redfish/v1/Systems/system/LogServices/Drive0LogService/Entries
> ```
Specifically regarding the endpoint, we have considered a similar
approach for publishing a LogService for a memory device.  I don't know
if we have finalized our proposal to the DMTF yet, but we were thinking
it would be better to add a LogService to the individual resource rather
than keep everything under Systems/system.

If the same idea is applied for your drive devices, each drive resource
in Redfish would also contain its own LogService.

@ 2021-05-27  0:07   ` Willy Tu
From: Willy Tu @ 2021-05-27  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bills, Jason M; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist