Hi On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 1:19 PM Cornelia Huck wrote: > On Fri, Sep 17 2021, David Gibson wrote: > > > Hi all, > > > > At the qemu-in-rust BoF at KVM Forum, I volunteered to look into > > whether Rust supported all the host/build platforms that qemu does, > > which is obviously vital if we want to make Rust a non-optional > > component of the build. > > > > I've added the information to our wiki at: > > https://wiki.qemu.org/RustInQemu > > Thank you for doing that! > > Yes, the condensed coloured matrix is much more readable than the Rust long list. I wonder if they would also adopt it :) > > > > TBH, the coverage is not as good as I expected. Linux, macOS and > > Windows are pretty much ok, with the exception of Linux on Sparc. > > There are a lot of gaps in *BSD support, however. > > Yes :( > Can we say reasonably that QEMU is supported on *BSD other than x86 (and aarch64?), I wonder. Maybe we should consider moving those under the unsupported rank. > > Do we actually have an idea what we would require? I'm surprised that > there are so many targets without host tools or without std support (but > maybe they are only missing small things.) > For sparc 32, it was added to support Gentoo at that time which didn't switch to 64-bit yet (https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/48297) For the past 2-3y, Gentoo sparc is now 64 bit. (like Debian apparently for a while) But apparently, by lack of CI it was downgraded to Tier-3. Is it reasonable to officially drop support for sparc 32 in QEMU too? > > > > I've included some notes on where the information comes from, and some > > uncertainties in there. > > > > I've made an effort to get the information correct, but double > > checking would be appreciated. > > I did not spot any errors on a quick cross check, but I'm not really > sure about what the BSDs support. > > > > > I haven't yet looked into the packaging situation for the Rust > > toolchain on various platforms and distros, but I still intend to do > > so. > > > I would share our wiki page on r/rust if you don't mind, as there are various people that can help us fill the gaps I think. Thanks -- Marc-André Lureau