Hi On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 9:54 PM Peter Maydell wrote: > On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 at 17:30, Marc-André Lureau > wrote: > > > > Hi > > > > On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 7:56 PM Peter Maydell > wrote: > >> > >> On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 at 15:17, Marc-André Lureau > >> wrote: > >> > ../docs/meson.build:30: WARNING: /usr/bin/sphinx-build-3: > >> > Configuration error: > >> > The Sphinx 'sphinx_rtd_theme' HTML theme was not found. > >> > > >> > ../docs/meson.build:32:6: ERROR: Problem encountered: Install a > Python 3 version of python-sphinx and the readthedoc theme > >> > >> > >> So why do you get that message, and I see the above? Older > >> sphinx-build ? > > > > > > > > It's strange, it's like ModuleNotFoundError was not catched by the > "except ImportError". > > > > What's the version of python? > > It's whatever's in the BSD VMs. I also saw the same error on the > I built successfully with vm-build-openbsd, vm-build-freebsd, and vm-build-netbsd. None have sphinx installed, thus simply print: Program sphinx-build-3 sphinx-build found: NO Am I missing something? aarch64 CI machine, which has python 3.8.5 and sphinx-build 1.8.5. > My guess is that it might be the sphinx-build version here. I vaguely > recall that Sphinx is kind of picky about exceptions within the conf > file but that there was a change in what it allowed at some point. > It's possible we just can't do much with the old versions. > How do you run the build? Running make from an existing configured or build state? If so, I have seen sphinx errors that don't stop the build (and actually building the docs without sphinx-rtd). I don't know why this happens, "regenerate"/reconfigure errors should stop the build. It seems like a minor issue to me. A clean build will error correctly. > I'm inclined to suggest we should postpone switching to the rtd theme > until after the 6.0 release -- there isn't a strong need to get it > in this release, is there ? > > There is no hurry, but let's try to make some progress. If it's ready, I'll let you decide if this is acceptable during freeze period or not. Now I am not sure what should be fixed... I will try to find the cause of the non-fatal error on incremental build. thanks -- Marc-André Lureau