From: Chris Murphy <lists@colorremedies.com>
To: Community support for Fedora users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Cc: Btrfs BTRFS <linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: btrfs swapfile - Not enough swap space for hibernation.
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 14:52:51 -0700	[thread overview]

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 7:02 AM Sreyan Chakravarty <sreyan32@gmail.com> wrote:

> The only reason I can fathom is that systemd-logind is unable to
> access the directory /var/swap. IIRC, you were the one who suggested I
> mount in that directory.
>
> Not blaming you, but the question is what do I do now ?

Well, what I recommended is a swap partition to avoid all of these
limitations and questions. If you're going to use swap on Btrfs then
you're kinda in the same boat as the rest of us who are trying to
address each limit. This is why it's not the default and why I haven't
written up anything yet.

My expectation is that swapfiles on btrfs need a helper service of
some sort, in order for it to be generally usable.

> The bug that you have linked to is about /home not /var.

It's a reference for a similar problem, not an identical problem, with
a how to enable debug for logind.

> So where should I keep the swap for logind to access it without any problems ?

You are in adventure land. So you're going on an adventure. If you
want it to just work, use a swap partition.

> I don't think that is possible since the file was created with dd, not
> fallocate.

Why? I've mentioned fallocate several times, and also man 5 btrfs
several times, and there it recommends fallocate. Nowhere is dd
suggested. It may not work with dd depending on the dd exact dd
command used.

--
Chris Murphy