From: Matt Ranostay <matt.ranostay@konsulko.com>
To: "Gaëtan Carlier" <gcembed@gmail.com>,
	"Jonathan Cameron" <jic23@kernel.org>,
	"Lars-Peter Clausen" <lars@metafoo.de>
Cc: linux-iio@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Add support of Wiegand card reader
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 20:41:30 -0700	[thread overview]

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 1:36 AM, Ga=C3=ABtan Carlier <gcembed@gmail.com> wr=
ote:
> On 04/11/2018 05:37 AM, Matt Ranostay wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 1:57 AM, Ga=C3=ABtan Carlier <gcembed@gmail.com>=
 wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> Thank you for your reply.

lace it : drivers/iio/access/wiegand.c or drivers/iio/security/wiegand.c?

>>> What can I send to userspace from a bitstream using Input subsystem ?
>>> Datas on Wiegand depend on readers used/setup. The best is to send bits=
tream directly to userspace and let user split bitstream into facilty/area =
code, card ID, ...
>>> My idea is to send a structure with
>>>     * number of bits read
>>>     * if two parity bits are valid
>>>     * the bitstream itself saved in a 64 bit unsigned integer (or a buf=
fer of chars) including or not the parity bits (I still have to decide). I =
don't see readers with more than 60 bits.

>>> I already start writting driver based on humidity/dht11.c that uses sim=
ilar timings.

>> Another question is what would your struct iio_chan_spec definition
>> look like? Namely the .type assignments
>>
> For now, I did not have define any channels and num_channels in struct ii=
o_dev in probe function.
> That is what I have to investigate today : study how buffers work for IIO=
 subsystem.
> The idea is to have a blocking call from the userspace and every time a c=
ard is read, the buffer is filled and pushed to userspace. Userspace applic=
ation will be unblocked and the buffer will be read.

Yeah buffers need to work independent of userspace and can't be blocking at=
 all.

> Couldn't I create a new iio_chan_type IIO_ID (or even IIO_BIOMETRIC) ?

Yeah IIO_BIOMETRIC or even IIO_ID is a bit odd since it isn't an SI
unit or similar. Maybe Jonathan has some thoughts on this

>>> Wiegand protocol uses two data lines. Both data lines are pulled-up. Wh=
en a 0 must be send, D0 line is set low, when a 1 must be sent, D1 line is =
set low. D0 and D1 line can never be set low at the same time. Reader will =
convert ID of the card into binary data flow of 26, 34, .... 60 bits.
>>> The length of a data flow is configured in the reader and all readers c=
onnected on the same Wiegand bus have generally the same length.

>>> Yes they are several data length.

>>> If they are emulated as keyboard, they don't use Wiegand anymore ! Wieg=
and is still often used for hotels, ...

not packed in 8 bits or any other size.