From: "Bjørnar Ness" <bjornar.ness@gmail.com>
To: Florian Westphal <fw@strlen.de>
Cc: Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@netfilter.org>, netfilter-devel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: crash on >= 4.9.0 kernel seems nf related
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 12:28:44 +0200	[thread overview]

> I have seen this trace couple times before, and also the fact
> that 4.9 had been running fine since the release makes me suspect that igb
> is not to blame. What can I do to provide additional details here?

We have done some adittinal debugging on this issue, where we also tried with a
broadcom gigabit ethernet card, with similar results (not the kernel
crash, but machine
comes to a complete stall due to load/io wait)

When trying to narrow down the problem, I removed the NAT rules, and
in particular
the

chain postrouting {
  type nat hook postrouting priority 100
}

And the problem disappears. Commenting in the above block again,
causes the following to happen:

kworker/0:0 starts to use more and more cpu, and in less than a minute
renders the
machine useless. If network cable is unplugged, it takes aroung 30
seconds for the machine to get into a useful state again.

We are seeing around 40-60kpps on the link. This bug is introduced
somewhere between
4.8.6 and 4.9

--
Bj(/)rnar