On 15 June 2017 at 17:17, Martin Kelly wrote: > I am no expert, but running qemu -cpu help just says: > > kvm32 - "Common 32-bit KVM processor" > kvm64 - "Common 64-bit KVM processor" > > My best guess is that, running on qemu without kvm, both cases will be > slow (since it's all software emulation). But, using qemu -kvm, it should > be fast as long as you run on a native CPU that is core2duo or better, as > the native instructions can just be exposed and passed through to the host. > Since core2duo is very old by now, it should be fast for virtually everyone > building on x86. > Right, I did some digging. Assuming you have KVM enabled then in the general case the -cpu option is irrelevant as the instructions are handled natively. -cpu just changes what CPUID flags the userspace sees, and so this is the Right Thing To Do. Ross