From: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@kernel.org>
To: Johan Hovold <johan@kernel.org>
Cc: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@rjwysocki.net>,
	Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com>, Felipe Balbi <balbi@kernel.org>,
	Roger Quadros <rogerq@ti.com>, Tero Kristo <t-kristo@ti.com>,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>,
	"open list:ULTRA-WIDEBAND \(UWB\) SUBSYSTEM:"
	<linux-usb@vger.kernel.org>, "Nori, Sekhar" <nsekhar@ti.com>,
	Grygorii Strashko <grygorii.strashko@ti.com>,
	Nishanth Menon <nm@ti.com>, Linux PM <linux-pm@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: usb: dwc3: of-simple: fix use-after-free on remove
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 00:55:26 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 12:32 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rafael@kernel.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Johan Hovold <johan@kernel.org> wrote:

>>> No, it wouldn't.  It balances the incrementation in pm_runtime_forbid().
>>
>> Right, but even if you take the whole sequence, which included
>> pm_runtime_forbid(), consider what happens when pm_runtime_allow() is
>> later called through sysfs (see below).

>>> Why is it?
>>>
>>> Surely, after
>>>
>>> pm_runtime_forbid(dev);
>>> pm_runtime_put_noidle(dev);
>>>
>>> the runtime PM usage counter of dev will be the same as before, won't it?
>>
>> Sure, but the imbalance, or rather inconsistent state, has already been
>> introduced.
>>
>> Consider the following sequence of events:
>>
>>                                         usage count
>>                                         0
>> probe()
>>         pm_runtime_forbid()             1
>>         pm_runtime_set_active()
>>         pm_runtime_enable()
>>         pm_runtime_put_noidle()         0
>>
>> Here nothing is preventing the device from runtime suspending, despite
>> runtime PM being forbidden. In fact, it will typically be suspended due
>> to the pm_request_idle() in driver_probe_device(). If later we have:
>>
>> echo auto > power/control
>>         pm_runtime_allow()              -1
>
> OK, you have a point.
>
> After calling pm_runtime_forbid() the driver should allow user space
> to unblock runtime PM for the device - or call pm_runtime_allow()
> itself.

The confusion regarding the pm_runtime_put_noidle() at the end may
come from the special requirement of the PCI bus type as per the
comment in local_pci_probe().
---