On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 at 00:00, Marc Zyngier wrote: > > This is a rework of the NV series that I posted 10 months ago[1], as a > lot of the KVM code has changed since, and the series apply anymore > (not that anybody really cares as the the HW is, as usual, made of > unobtainium...). > > From the previous version: > > - Integration with the new page-table code > - New exception injection code > - No more messing with the nVHE code > - No AArch32!!!! > - Rebased on v5.10-rc4 + kvmarm/next for 5.11 > > From a functionality perspective, you can expect a L2 guest to work, > but don't even think of L3, as we only partially emulate the > ARMv8.{3,4}-NV extensions themselves. Same thing for vgic, debug, PMU, > as well as anything that would require a Stage-1 PTW. What we want to > achieve is that with NV disabled, there is no performance overhead and > no regression. > > The series is roughly divided in 5 parts: exception handling, memory > virtualization, interrupts and timers for ARMv8.3, followed by the > ARMv8.4 support. There are of course some dependencies, but you'll > hopefully get the gist of it. > > For the most courageous of you, I've put out a branch[2]. Of course, > you'll need some userspace. Andre maintains a hacked version of > kvmtool[3] that takes a --nested option, allowing the guest to be > started at EL2. You can run the whole stack in the Foundation > model. Don't be in a hurry ;-). > > And to be clear: although Jintack and Christoffer have written tons of > the stuff originaly, I'm the one responsible for breaking it! > > [1] https://lore.kernel.org/r/20200211174938.27809-1-maz@kernel.org > [2] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/maz/arm-platforms.git kvm-arm64/nv-5.11.-WIP > [3] git://linux-arm.org/kvmtool.git nv/nv-wip-5.2-rc5 Hi Marc, I have tried to enable the NV support in Qemu, and now I can successfully boot a L2 guest in Qemu KVM mode. This patch series looks good from the Qemu side except for two minor requirements: (1) Qemu will check whether a feature was supported by the KVM cap when the user tries to enable it in the command line, so a new capability was prefered for the NV(KVM_CAP_ARM_NV?). (2) According to the Documentation/virt/kvm/api.rst , userspace can call KVM_ARM_VCPU_INIT multiple times for a given vcpu, but the kvm_vcpu_init_nested() do have some issue when called multiple times(please refer to the detailed comments in patch 63) Regards, Haibo