From: Drew Noakes <drew@drewnoakes.com>
To: git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Detecting when bulk file-system operations complete
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 14:39:37 +1100	[thread overview]

Hi,

I develop IDE tooling that watches a repo's workspace and reacts to changes.

Bulk file-system changes (i.e. branch switch, rebase, merge,
cherry-pick) trigger lots of file system events, and my tooling should
ignore intermediary updates. Currently I debounce events with a fixed
time span, but would like a more reliable and performant approach to
scheduling this reactive work.

Can this be done by monitoring the GITDIR in some way? For example, is
there a file that's present when these operations are in flight, and
which is removed when they complete?

If an operation is interrupted (i.e. merge or rebase that hits a
conflict) my tooling should consider the bulk operation as complete.
This means that detecting a git-rebase-todo file or
rebase-merge/rebase-apply folder is not adequate.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Drew.